gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:16:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Live Let Live" -- New Van Dyke lyrics!  (Read 8273 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2007, 06:04:29 PM »

I have a feeling this is one of those things where the moderators will give me a stern warning. "We've had complaints" and so on. Ruler on the knuckles. It's a hard knock life for us.

Nah...I'm letting it go for now. Besides, got my hands full with my newborn for now. Smiley

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 01:34:12 AM »

I have a feeling this is one of those things where the moderators will give me a stern warning. "We've had complaints" and so on. Ruler on the knuckles. It's a hard knock life for us.

Nah...I'm letting it go for now. Besides, got my hands full with my newborn for now. Smiley

Got your hands full of what?

Sorry, I couldn't resist  Grin

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 05:21:35 AM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2007, 10:44:07 PM »

Anybody figured out the new lyrics yet?Huh

something like

"I've got a Notion We Come From The Ocean
And... (god up high?) rests his hands on the water

Bluefin?.... (sailboat?)

Perfect for Fish Making a Wish
Just Like A Teardrop cries?

Waves Passing Me By
Wondering Why
Live Let Live Not Die

I am a diver a long long survivor
and this one wears a
body gravity? Zero

Don't need nothing you see?

World passing bye
Catching the eye?

MY heart is so bad
My heart feels at last?
Creature Creature of God

Anyways, it's hard to make out, but inexplicably, Brian changed every lyric Van Dyke wrote, even some of the stuff that had no political connotations.  STRANGE! 
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2007, 09:20:53 AM »

Oh wow, those lyrics are horrible. Perfect for fish making a wish? LOL

I think the last line is something like "Let's get the hell out of here..."

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2007, 10:33:38 AM »

As I've said elsewhere, I bet these are the original lyrics. I suspect they were rewritten specifically for the Arctic Tale movie.

Logically, it makes sense that Brian and Scott would write some sort of general song about the ocean during the summer of 06. Then, this movie project comes up, and the song comes to mind. But it needs a new set of lyrics, and Van Dyke has been roped in to write the LOS narratives. Why not let him have a crack at the words?

That's my entirely speculative chain of events.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2007, 03:29:26 PM »

Yeah, that's probably how it happened.  My rough attempt at translation was a hatchet job, lol it sounds like on the tapes that the lyrics are actually pretty well done.  I like the song a lot, and it fits the california theme of the piece.  It's like a safer, less political brand of environmentalism that's more accessible to the audience.  The difference between PETA and Jaques Cousteau perhaps.  LOL 
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2007, 02:55:05 AM »

Wow! I just heard the studio recording with the VDP lyrics a couple of days ago on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNPa7BEPN6s) and it is unbelievably good! Out of all of Brian's solo recordings this could be the one that I like best, the arrangement is great, both musically and vocally and it really sounds like there's effort in it. Brian's singing is the best he's capable of, it's very enjoyable, not distracting!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2007, 01:26:07 PM »

C-Man: You've piqued my curiousity. Anything of interest there about the recording of the Target tracks? Brian sounds quite amazing vocally on it.

Sorry I've not responded to this until now, but I had overlooked it.  In the Spring 2007 issue of ESQ, we have comments given by some of Brian's band to Dave Beard.  For one thing, it's evident that the credits in the CD booklet don't tell the full story, because Gary said he played piano, vibes, and synth on "What Love Can Do" and piano and accordion on "God Only Knows", as well as overdubbing harpsichord on "God Only Knows" later at Mark Linett's place.  Vocally, he sang Bruce's part (and said 'I hope he's OK with that!").  Gary says they all sang "tons" of harmony parts on both songs.

They used Burt's piano from the original demo as the foundation of "What Love Can Do", then the band played live at Ocean Way for however many takes until it was "just right" (with Phil Ramone co-producing).  Nicky says Jeff may have overdubbed some percussion and guitars, too.  Brian was involved "in every aspect of recording".  Probyn had the idea for the French horn line, which he put on tape, then Paul Mertens took that idea and scored it for four French horns.  During playback, Paul was thinking it would be cool to do a string arrangement, then a few minutes later Brian asked him to do one, telling him "You'll know what to do".

In other words, Brian has a great team working with him!  It's great they all get along so well and there's no apparent clash of personalities there.  Amazing for a band, but fortunate for a change.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2007, 04:51:02 AM »

Oh, and Brian said he wrote the music for the verses while Burt wrote the music for the choruses (which you can tell upon hearing it), while the lyrics were written by someone named Steven Krikorian. 

Vocally, Nick said "Brian sang with a lot of moxie and subtlety on both lead and all of the background vocal tracks".
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2007, 07:07:26 AM »

Thanks for that, c-man.  It was done pretty much how I figured it was, and I think this is likely indicative of the way Brian and his band work these days.  Brian's not doing everything, but really, he's always worked that way.  Nothing wrong with that, in my book.
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2007, 07:49:42 AM »

I'd not paid much attention to these song credits until just now.  Steve Krikorian wrote some of the lyrics?  Wow.  Assuming this is the same guy - it sounds like it - he used to be a VERY misanthropic metal rocker going by the name of Tonio K.  He bounced from label to label with albums like "Life In The Foodchain" and songs like "The Funky Western Civilization" (how to do the dance:  "Grab your partner by the hair/ Throw her down and leave her there").  Also a devotee of dadaist Curt Schwitters, he wrote a song called "Futt Futt Futt" and did a new Spanish parody lyric about nuclear war called, natch, "La Bomba".  Before being Tonio K. he played in a 70's version of the Crickets.

His producer Rob Fraboni tells a story how an L.A. gun collector let them borrow a machine gun so they could record the sound effect of a real modern machine gun being fired to close the song "H-A-T-R-E-D" on the first LP.  Only problem, they forgot to get permission from the cops, so not long after they got their sound effect most of the City police force converged on their Hollywood hills studio.  To say the least, some explainin' was necessary.

Funny how some of these artsy lyricists take a strange path and find good paying work.  Peter Sinfield, originally King Crimson's impenetrable art-school uber-poetic lyricist, made his fortune (literally) writing a song for Celine Dion sometime in the 80s.  No doubt one of you scholars can track it down for me since I don't have time to look it up now.

EDIT: Found it, the Celine Dion song Sinfield wrote was "Think Twice".
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 04:50:17 PM by Dr. Tim » Logged

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2007, 09:16:15 AM »

I don't know that I would call Tonio K's music "metal" per se; it was a little more post-punk alternative in style (Gang Of Four, Peter Gabriel, etc.). He co-wrote and performed on a fantastic T-Bone Burnett song in '88 entitled "The Strange Case of Frank Cash and the Morning Paper".

I would look upon his involvement with Bacharach and Wilson as something that demonstrates his versatility.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx