gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:54:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If you could change Smile...  (Read 17664 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2006, 07:46:09 PM »

If you could change and alter Brian's "Smile" before its release, what would you change?

I would've gotten rid of the useless, irritating "I'm In Great Shape" medley and just started the third part with Vega-Tables.  Otherwise, it's fine.   Roll Eyes
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 08:52:09 PM »

I assume you're asking about BWPS, yes? If so, I wish they had skipped the studio recording altogether in favor of a live one. For example, the Carnegie Hall performance blows the studio version out of the water, imho.

The other thing is about "Good Vibrations" -- I have a strong dislike for the Asher lyrics, which sound like temp placeholders to me. I think it was a huge mistake not to use the hit version lyrics. At least then I wouldn't have to program the player to skip GV! (Although I do admit I like the symmetry of starting and ending with "Our Prayer.")
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 08:54:43 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 08:54:58 PM »

i love the i'm in great shape part...wish they woulda ellaborated on it more...
gv asher lyrics- yeah, not a big fan either

for me:
a wistling section in vegatables would have been cool.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 08:57:57 PM »

Have it recorded on the original equipment, same way as 1966-1967 also.

Not include Good Vibrations.

Work in the little extra pieces we know about which were junked for sake of better flow and less weirdness. 

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 09:25:13 PM »

Have it recorded on the original equipment, same way as 1966-1967 also.

Not include Good Vibrations.

Work in the little extra pieces we know about which were junked for sake of better flow and less weirdness. 

The original Smile was based on the 1800's west, thats why Brian used all the weird instruments and im sure he wanted it produced that way musically when it was finished. Smile 2004 gets away from that so that your not really sure about the theme. That and IMO the Wondermints are vocally inferior to the original band. But thats not a knock on them its just my opinion. Its not something Brian would be happy with in 1967...put it that way.
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 09:32:42 PM »

I wouldn't touch anything about it and those who say the live version blows the studio version out of the water obviously needs to clean their ears out. There are moments in the studio version that simply can not be recreated in a live setting. I didn't hear any vega-table munching during vega-tables. There was no jaw harp used. To timpini's during roll plymouth rock. Plus all the obscure background vocals that you hear for the first time after listening to the album 10 times. It's a work of studio masterwork.
XY
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 09:52:06 PM »

I would change the sequence of the songs. For example "Workshop" after "Fire" (rebuilding). I wouldn't change anything that was recorded and sequenced in the 60's. -> "Wo-ooo" was originally part of "In The Cantina", missing parts in "Do You Like Worms" & "Wind Chimes" etc... But SMILE '04 is excellent like it is.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 10:11:20 PM by Jasper » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 10:18:55 PM »

At the risk of getting flambe'd (I think that's how you spell that)

I would change H&V around.  It's a little overbearing to me, it just goes on and on with the addition of the "gee" part before it.  If you put the CD in and listen straight through, it seems like you're listening to H&V for a friekin' hour or something.  Now I know at one point Brian was gonna make the whole album revolve around that song or something similar or at least that's a theory... and it's a GOOD song, but in my opinion it doesn't hold up to repeated (I.E., 10,000) listenings.  Not really sure how I'd make it different, and maybe this is the only way it works at all, but I think the length of the song is a weak spot on the album.  The rest of the album changes up pretty rapidly keeping things interesting, but the H&V section seems to go on forever.  Maybe I'm just tired of the song, but I don't seem to be tired of the second or third movements, for instance.  I'm reluctant to play the album for my friends because they'll get stuck on the same friekin' song playing over and over again at the very beginning of the album. 

All in all, though, the album is of course one of the greatest ever released, Brian did an incredible job and even the too-long H&V section is nothing short of brilliant.  Hey, you asked, though!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 10:21:47 PM by Ron » Logged
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 10:20:59 PM »

Also, i'm not digging the Heroes and VIllains chorus. I don't like it on Smiley and I prefer the versions that run through up to the Cantina section and tape explosions.

"Studio Masterwork"?

Or Pro Tools know how?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 10:30:16 PM »

I wish they included the version of Heroes and Villains that had the "healthy wealthy and often wise".. also, the Heroes and Villains Pt. 2 vocals that Mike Love used as backing vocals in live versions of Heroes and Villains; the "duh heroes, duh heroes, duh heroes and villains" thingie.

Also, stick with one version of Good Vibrations.. the BWPS version is Tony Asher's verses combined with Mike's chorus.. how silly.

And they could've gotten Paul McCartney back to chew on Vegetables.. and now that I think about it, they don't have the soda pouring into the glass anymore, do they? That should be back in there, too. And I prefer the Smiley Smile backing vocals on Wind Chimes.. for the first ten listens or so I have to sing them myself so it wouldn't sound off.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 10:34:33 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 10:59:01 PM »

I would have made it about 100 times longer.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 11:11:30 PM »

I wish they included the version of Heroes and Villains that had the "healthy wealthy and often wise"..

I've always hated that part of the song...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jabba2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 11:18:02 PM »

At the risk of getting flambe'd (I think that's how you spell that)

I would change H&V around.  It's a little overbearing to me, it just goes on and on with the addition of the "gee" part before it.  If you put the CD in and listen straight through, it seems like you're listening to H&V for a friekin' hour or something.  Now I know at one point Brian was gonna make the whole album revolve around that song or something similar or at least that's a theory... and it's a GOOD song, but in my opinion it doesn't hold up to repeated (I.E., 10,000) listenings.  Not really sure how I'd make it different, and maybe this is the only way it works at all, but I think the length of the song is a weak spot on the album.  The rest of the album changes up pretty rapidly keeping things interesting, but the H&V section seems to go on forever.  Maybe I'm just tired of the song, but I don't seem to be tired of the second or third movements, for instance.  I'm reluctant to play the album for my friends because they'll get stuck on the same friekin' song playing over and over again at the very beginning of the album. 

All in all, though, the album is of course one of the greatest ever released, Brian did an incredible job and even the too-long H&V section is nothing short of brilliant.  Hey, you asked, though!

I agree with you. Never made it through 2004 H&V more then a few times, now i just skip it. Roll Plymoth Rock also has one too many chorus after several listens.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 11:26:10 PM »

I would've used the hit version's lyrics of GV. That's the only thing I'd change.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 03:51:26 AM »

SMiLE is pretty much perfect as it is, but there are one or two things that bug me:

- of course I would remove that sound at the very beginning of "Our Prayer".

- I would make the background-vocals on the Hawaii-part of RPR quiter, so that the guitar would be more prominent.

- longer breaks between the movements.

That´s it.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2006, 04:08:45 AM »

- of course I would remove that sound at the very beginning of "Our Prayer".

What sound is that?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
smackdaddy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 05:38:25 AM »

You realize the last time this train of thought was followed, the album ended up getting shelved.

That said, I feel everyone involved should have shut up and did whatever Brian wanted in terms of the preliminary tracklist, bootlegs and recording dates be damned.  Incidentally, if anyone can post that (the tracklist with Time To Get Alone and, I think, Diamond Head) I'd be greatly obliged.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 05:44:54 AM »

I would have done something in the Barnyard/OMP area. It's the weak spot on the album and ruins first movement, thus making it my least favorite.

No "whoo whoo" in H&V.

Other than that...perfect.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 05:48:21 AM »

Incidentally, if anyone can post that (the tracklist with Time To Get Alone and, I think, Diamond Head) I'd be greatly obliged.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 BRIAN'S LIST
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
OUR PRAYER
TIME TO GET ALONE
BICYCLE RIDER (Link)
DIAMOND HEAD
DO YOU LIKE WORMS
HEROES & VILLAINS
HOLIDAYS
                 (Link)
OLD MASTER PAINTER/YOU ARE MY                   
        SUNSHINE
WONDERFUL
                  (Link)
SONG FOR CHILDREN (AKA "LOOK")
                   (Link)
CHILD IS FATHER OF THE MAN
                   (Link)
CABINESSENCE
                   (Link)
WIND CHIMES
FALL BREAKS AND BACK TO WINTER
VEGETABLES
FIRE (Mrs O'Leary's Cow)
I LOVE TO SAY DADA (w/"Cool Cool
Water")
WORKSHOP (i want to be around/friday night)
SURF'S UP
<<end SMiLE>>
<YOU'RE WELCOME
<CAN'T WAIT TOO LONG
smackdaddy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 05:59:22 AM »

There we go, thanks.  I really like Diamond Head leading into DYLW and Fire as FALL BREAKS gone to hell.

Edit:  What's the source for this tracklist?  The DVD, an interview?
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 06:44:11 AM »

Yeah I was also wondering were that tracklist came from

-I would exclude the woohoo part before 'you're under arrest' in H and V, it's the one thing that doesn't seem to fit IMO
-Glad they didn't do the 'often wise, three score 5,'-bit
-The last part of H&V which can be heard on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey-bonustrack. I believe somebody else said it too.
They recorded that lot's of times in the 66/67 so I'm sure it should be on the definitive disc.

The rest is great
Still, if the Sessions Box set isn't going to be put out it's a freakin' shame
They could even try to do something like all those fan-mixes that have been around, but of course
with the SMiLE 2004-tracklist. This is what  Brian wants it's his call, I hope...
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 06:48:07 AM »

Confidential.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2006, 07:03:54 AM »

Realistic changes/revisions I'd like to see made:
-Remove digital tick at start of Our Prayer
-Fix DO YOU vocal to be more like original H&V (where it isn't even an explicit phrase)
-Use real tack pianos and harpsichords
-Better, goofier, "You're under arrest!"

I think all of these are crucial to my not enjoying SMiLE as much as I would otherwise.

Because I like the music and wish it was in there:
-Get 'False Barnyard' in there somehow

Watch out for snakes!
Evenreven
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 07:10:42 AM »

Realistic changes/revisions I'd like to see made:
-Remove digital tick at start of Our Prayer
-Fix DO YOU vocal to be more like original H&V (where it isn't even an explicit phrase)
-Use real tack pianos and harpsichords
-Better, goofier, "You're under arrest!"

I think all of these are crucial to my not enjoying SMiLE as much as I would otherwise.

Because I like the music and wish it was in there:
-Get 'False Barnyard' in there somehow
At the end of OMP/YAMS!

The others I 100% agree with. I love it like it is, but those things were within the realm of possibility - unless, say, "get Brian's voice like it was in 1966".
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2006, 07:18:34 AM »

Confidential.

I remember it being up on the old Smile Shop.

I wonder if that list is an example of Brian getting senile, of if that is what Smile would have looked like, if he had worked on it till the fall of 67. Apparently he still worked on solving the Smile puzzle even after they had abandoned it and maybe songs like “Time To Get Alone” and “Diamond Head” was somehow written with a hypothetical Smile in mind, of course I don’t know when it was written. “Diamond Head” somehow sounds like a variation of  “Workshop Song” or the other way around. I wonder why they didn’t use that list, did someone convince Brian, that those tracks didn’t belong on Smile. It looks more logical to me.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx