gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:00:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great BB songs yer don't like...?  (Read 13764 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2007, 09:22:08 AM »

I can't believe I'm seeing people saying that they don't care for 'Good Vibrations', 'Help Me Rhonda', 'Don't Worry Baby' and other fucking great songs that you have to be a goshdarn mentally handicapped person not to love. The only Beach Boys songs that were nothing special were the filler tracks like 'A Day in the Life of a Tree' and 'Bull Session with Big Daddy' etc. The only time the Beach Boys had weak songs on an album was on the Light Album and Keepin' the Summer Alive; I'm not gonna even mention Summer In Paradise cuz without Brian it's not the real Beach Boys. So for everyone saying that songs like 'California Girls' leave you empty, I know that's your opinion but you're a fucking moron. Sorry but that needed to be said.
-Josh Angry
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2007, 09:30:26 AM »

I can't believe I'm seeing people saying that they don't care for 'Good Vibrations', 'Help Me Rhonda', 'Don't Worry Baby' and other fodaing great songs that you have to be a blessed mentally handicapped person not to love.

Maybe you need to open your mind and acknowledge that people's tastes vary. I'm sure any two reasonable people can compare their most-loved and most-hated lists and find they differ dramatically. Someone loves and someone hates Kind of Blue. Someone loves and someone hates 1999. Someone loves and someone hates Live at Folsom Prison. Someone loves and someone hates Fear of a Black Planet. Someone loves and someone hates Pet Sounds. Someone loves and someone hates Master of Puppets. Someone loves and someone hates Thriller. And it doesn't make any one of them "a blessed mentally handicapped person."

Get the picture?

And the world just keeps on spinning...

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 09:33:18 AM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2007, 11:47:16 AM »

Well put, Luther.

Also, there are people who love "Day in the Life of a tree",too,although I'm not one of them! The point is, don't call someone a fucking moron just because their tastes differ from yours. If everyone liked the same sh*t, the world would be more boring than "Meet Joe Black". That's pretty damned boring, yo.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 11:49:11 AM by Hassenpfeffer » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2007, 11:22:24 AM »

Well put, Luther.

Also, there are people who love "Day in the Life of a tree",too,although I'm not one of them!

I love that song and you are all... um, ninnies for not liking it... Wink
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2007, 05:54:55 PM »

The only time the Beach Boys had weak songs on an album was on the Light Album and Keepin' the Summer Alive; I'm not gonna even mention Summer In Paradise cuz without Brian it's not the real Beach Boys.
I take it you love every song on Beach Boys '85 and Still Cruisin'?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2007, 07:21:30 PM »

I love LA and KTSA.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2007, 07:39:03 PM »

KTSA is a good album I think too. Its the last "real" BB album.. abd it has one of my all time BB faves: WHEN GIRLS GIT TO-GETHER!!!!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 16, 2007, 09:24:36 PM »

such a wonderful track for sure, pixletwin!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2007, 07:11:36 AM »

For me, there are few pleasures more guilty than "California Girls" which has dated so badly it is now only just on the right side between pleasure and torment.

Other tracks which have "turned" like a bucket of goats milk in the sun: Barbara Ann, I Get Around, about 85% of everything after 1976.

Petty prejudice time: "Disney Girls" was covered by Barry Manilow, so that must get a mention.

There was usually a couple of less great tracks on every album, even in the best days, but obviously these aren't considered Great as such.

Is there a middle way regarding "Love You" or does it have to be "Love/Hate You"..? A few of the tracks are good, but I can understand prolonged exposure could cause negative effects. Still, Barry Manilow steered clear... didn't he ?

The difference between, say "Still Cruisin'" and "I Get Around" is that I can still listen to the instrumental version of the older track without feeling a bit ill.
Wilsonista
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2007, 10:21:37 AM »

Never really liked Be True To Your School. Was always lukewarm toward Surfin' Safari (SUSA and Catch A Wave are far better as songs, to me and are stronger, more definitive statements).  And I actually like Barbara Ann in the context of Party (the longer edit on that album lets you know they're basically taking the piss out of the song).
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2007, 04:47:06 PM »

I love LA and KTSA.

KTSA is a good album I think too. Its the last "real" BB album.. abd it has one of my all time BB faves: WHEN GIRLS GIT TO-GETHER!!!!

Thumbs Up  KTSA is cool!

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
MBE
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2007, 09:51:38 PM »

I agree KTSA is  the last album that seems like real Beach Boys music, but much of it is doesn't knock me out. I like the title track despite some silly lyrics, I really like Goin On, and Santa Ana Winds is great bar Mike's nasal line and Al's intro. I think Sunshine and Some Of Your Love are harmless cheese. Living With A Heartache is decent but very overlong.  The leaves the real duds. When Girls Get Togehter is the only track dating from the Sunflower era that I really dislike, very tacky. Oh Darlin is boring, Endless Harmony is really bad and should never have been used in the doc despite it being a nice title. School Days is just so souless and nerdy. Rock and Roll Music is Good Vibrations in comparison. So all in all it really misses Dennis touch and lacked enough good songs to call it a classic. Yet it is much more organic and enjoyable the three albums that followed.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx