gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:14:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great BB songs yer don't like...?  (Read 13685 times)
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2007, 09:50:07 PM »

and then the opening parts of gettin hungry so loud in my ear when i'm trying to listen to "whispering wind" vocals before it....never dug that.

I know its annoying, but you have to look at it as "Brian humor".  On that level I think its pretty cool, although I always make sure I turn my stereo down before Gettin' Hungry starts so I don't get blasted.
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »

Great topic!!!

I have to echo someone else's comments and cast my vote for "Wild Honey".  Carl strains horribly out of his range, the organ solo is well played but it sounds like its coming from a toy keyboard, the siren-like organ-imitation-theremin-thingy at the beginning is annoying as heck.  Its my least favorite track off of my least favorite 1960's Beach Boys album. 
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2007, 05:00:09 AM »

a classic I don't "like"....

old classics: California Girls (sorry, but it get's boring when it's being played as the opening-track during concerts for over 20 years), Barbara Ann, Darlin' (not bad at all, but heard it too much...)
new classics: Wipe Out (Fat Boys version), Kokomo

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2007, 07:53:48 AM »

Had this question been asked of me five or six years ago, I could be more controversial, as in those days I truly disliked Good Vibrations, Don't Worry Baby, Surfer Girl -- in fact, if you had started with GV and gone back in time, but skipping Pet Sounds, you could pretty much name every tune and I'd have disliked it. I was just not a fan of anything pre-1967.

But times have changed me, and now these are the "best" I have to offer.

Kokomo. Is that too obvious?

California Girls. I am not the biggest fan of the original recording. Sometimes I like live versions more, but the original is just a tad too slow for me. Still brilliant, though. Obviously, as if anyone needs me to confirm it.

Forever. Sure, like anyone else, I love the Stamos version, but..I KID, I KID! But really, I don't dislike Forever either. I just rank it as a middle-of-the-road BBs song. Dennis and the others have done better.

Be True to Your School.

Do it Again. I like some live versions, but the studio one just leaves me flat.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2007, 10:22:31 AM »

Forever. Sure, like anyone else, I love the Stamos version, but..I KID, I KID!

I love a good John Stamos joke....

I would say SDT, but the thread is called Great BB songs....and well SDT is crap.

...and Then I Kissed Her, even though  it is just a cover.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2007, 10:25:34 AM »

Not to digress, but I have nothing against Stamos. I mean, that cover sucked terribly, but as far as I can tell, that man just took advantage of some good circumstances. If I were given a chance to associate myself with the Beach Boys, I'd have done it, too. Oh, and that whole marrying Rebecca Romijn...I think I'd have been OK with that, too.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2007, 01:14:08 PM »

Never cared for 4th of July.The song, not the holiday, although parades bore me. Carl's voice sounds sickly sweet on this, and it annoys me. And as much as I loved Carl's voice, it sounds terrible on The Night was So Young. I like the song itself, but he sounds like he was drunk and/or strung out.

No thanks.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2007, 01:16:52 PM »

I'm not sure if it's considered "great," but I've heard people praise it: Girl Don't Tell Me.  It sounds like a Beatles rip off, which is kind of what it is. And I know Carl was young when he sang it, but if I only ever heard sing that one song, I'd think Brian gave it to him out of pity. His vocal is...eh.

Wild Honey- I just don't get a lot of soul from it, like I guess you're supposed to.

As for Forever, I do like it. I just think it's kind of overrated. It's not Dennis's best song.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2007, 01:24:41 PM »

What an interesting topic!

My strongest dislikes: Kokomo (heard it too many times...), the entire Summer in Paradise album, Transcendental Meditation, Student Demonstration Time, At My Window, Here Comes the Night (disco), Forever (Stamos remake only...I love the original), A Day in the Life of a Tree.

Mild dislikes: Wendy, Disney Girls, Barbara Ann, 90% of the whole MIU album, Louie Louie, Vegetables (Smiley Smile version), Bluebirds Over the Mountain (depends on my mood...sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't), The Shift, Farmer's Daughter, The Night was So Young.

There are very few songs that I just downright can't stand at all. When I say 'mild dislike', that means I'll probably listen to it, I just won't put it on repeat like I do most Beach Boys albums.
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2007, 02:39:12 PM »

The BB catalog is ripe with sub-par material; however, "great" songs I don't care for include "Help Me Rhonda/Ronda" either version.  It just plain sucks and I've heard it at every live show, best of album, you name it.  I'll second "Barbara Ann" as well, yuck.  Plus, growing up in the late 60s & 70s many of my friends considered these songs to be totally representative of the BBs and they couldn't understand what I saw in the band.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2007, 03:01:16 PM »

I am going with Good Vibrations first..I mean wonderful song, excellent experimentation in music, but for me I have heard it too much over the years, it just drags on for me now.  Never a fan of Heroes and Villains the Smiley version, I much preferred it live.  Also You Need a Mess of Help and Marcella, they just don't sound like the Beach Boys to me and the lyrics are not good in my opinion. It sounds like The Beach Boys trying too hard to copy someone else's style.  The instrumentals in Pet Sounds too, especially Pet Sounds. They just don't fit for me and I have always skipped over them.
MBE
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2007, 04:43:57 PM »

Love You is pretty bad, Spirit of America is my least favorite "classic" song. Not big on Betsy either. Love songs to a car are too much for my head.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2007, 05:52:00 PM »

Not to digress, but I have nothing against Stamos. I mean, that cover sucked terribly, but as far as I can tell, that man just took advantage of some good circumstances. If I were given a chance to associate myself with the Beach Boys, I'd have done it, too. Oh, and that whole marrying Rebecca Romijn...I think I'd have been OK with that, too.

I know, and I agree....I'm sure he is just another BB fan like us.....I have nothing against him....I just like a good John Stamos joke. It's hard to explain.

Breakaway....I love the demo version on Endless Harmony, but the version put out is over produced, anti-climatic and I HATE the back up vox..."Break Break Break Break Break----away..." 
cerro azul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2007, 07:53:23 PM »

Denny's Drums  Roll Eyes
Transcendental Meditation
TM Song
thomasogg
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2007, 11:14:13 PM »

Nothing like a mass debate! Off topic i know, in fact not overly related to the Beach Boys at all really, but has anyone here sat through R Kelly's unintentionally hilarious hip h-opera 'Trapped In The Closet', and if so can they please tell me why you Americans don't have any sense of irony..? I mean, really....
halblaineisgood
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2007, 12:56:58 AM »

I said G*** V******. BARFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF EDIT2013
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:41:14 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2007, 02:57:56 AM »

Don't worry, I said it on Page 1, I know what you mean. I don't get any emotional connection to it myself, I know it was an innovative record but it feels contrived to me - probably because it was very much so! Cheesy

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
SG7
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2007, 05:12:27 AM »

Let the wind blow still does nothing for me  Undecided
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2007, 05:35:42 AM »

I may as well join the fray....
"Don't Worry Baby" & "Help me Rhonda" are my least favorite BB song's.Don't really know why? but they just are....

Big Bri
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2007, 06:07:15 AM »

Fun Fun Fun, nice when they rock it up a bit live but not too keen on this song

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2007, 06:18:18 AM »

I'll have to second You're So Good To Me and Wild Honey, as well.  I am not a big fan of Carl's strained vocals on the latter.  Actually, his vocals on the verses of Darlin' kind of grate on me, too, but I can overlook the vocals because that is just such a great song.  
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2007, 06:49:02 AM »

In addition to "Barbara Ann" and "Help Me Rhonda", I'll toss in "I Get Around".  I think I've just heard it too many times  and it irritates me now.  It's one of the few BB songs that did not get added to my mp3 player.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2007, 08:38:38 AM »

"you Americans"?

Please, don't tar any population with one brush for the whole lot. Would it work for your country?
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2007, 09:55:38 AM »

409, Little Deuce Coupe, Don't Worry Baby, Help Me Rhonda, Darlin, Forever

On the other hand, here are a few underated songs IMO

Coo Coo Clock, Rocking Surfer, In the Back of My Mind, At My Window, A Day in the Life of a Tree

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2007, 01:18:41 PM »

Sorry to say it but the worst GREAT BB song for me is Good Vibrations. I feel like its too short and doesn't take advantage of some really cool things. That being said, a re-edit of Good Vibrations to make it more structurally similar to the BWPS version pushes it out of my worst category.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx