gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680833 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:55:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Great BB songs yer don't like...?  (Read 13783 times)
thomasogg
« on: July 20, 2007, 11:52:38 PM »

Ok, as BB fans and fanatics all, does anyone else have a BB song - a well-loved, obviously great, highly-regarded BB song - that they don't like, and more to the point that they dare admit a disliking too on this site? With me it'd have to be 'Breakaway'. I know it's a good tune, but except for the brief 'found out it was in my head' interlude in the middle, it just really does nothing for me - i just don't get it! The verses are ok, the chorus leaves me cold, and then it just sort of fades out, very anti-climatic. I much prefer it's B-side - now THAT is a fade!!
I'm not posting this link so everyone can get into a big slanging match ('You don't like Breakaway? You sub-BB fan! What a LOSER!' etc). It'd just be interesting to see what BB songs people actually don't like, away from obvious crap like 'Student Demo Time', and why it is they don't like 'em! Who knows, maybe theirs even a fan somewhere who doesn't rate 'Good Vibrations' or 'God Only Knows'...? 
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 12:18:29 AM »

You don't like Breakaway? You sub-BB fan! What a LOSER!

Grin

The "great" BB song (well... it was a hit) that I don't like is Barbara Ann. I like all their other great songs!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2007, 12:20:31 AM »

Another vote for "Barbara -fucking-Ann". I hate this song with a passion that sometimes scares me.

And in the realm of original material, "Don't Worry, Baby" doesn't send me into raptures either.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 01:10:58 AM »

I don't know if some of these are considered "great" or not.....but here's my thoughts

"Be Still" -  I would be very ashamed if anyone caught me listening to this. Maybe it was "groovy", and "far out" back in 68'....but that doesnt make sense to me, becuase this song gets even worse when you're high. On the other hand, I guess it could be used to lull a person off to sleep, it does seem to have that quality. I guess there's something to be said about that.

"Wendy"  -  annoyingly chipper

huh.....I can't think of anything else right now...

XY
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 02:15:42 AM »

I don't like the fan-favorites "Feel Flows", "All This Is That" & "The Night Was So Young".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 02:50:50 AM »

All this is that?! I'm shocked!

And in the realm of original material, "Don't Worry, Baby" doesn't send me into raptures either.

Really?! I'm shocked, Andrew.In all our convos, you've never given me any indication of that!

You folks all know how I feel about "In the Back of My Mind". "409" gets on my nerves, too, as does "Don't Hurt My Little Sister".

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 04:14:15 AM »

Really?! I'm shocked, Andrew.In all our convos, you've never given me any indication of that!

There's just something... cloying about it that sets my teeth on edge, like when my mom used to sing along to hymns on the TV of a Sunday evening.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 04:53:13 AM »

There's just something... cloying about it that sets my teeth on edge, like when my mom used to sing along to hymns on the TV of a Sunday evening.

You don't like 'Don't Worry Baby'? You sub-BB fan! What a LOSER!  LOL

I've never actually been keen on 'Good Vibrations' personally, I don't think it's as interesting as any of the other songs on Pet Sounds or Smile, I suppose you had to be there...! Roll Eyes

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 07:23:53 AM »

1. Wild Honey - strained vocal, song drags; the live version with Blondie on lead rocks though

2. Take A Load Off Your Feet - terrible lyrics, tinny vocal, starts and stops, ugh...

3. Melt Away - shouted vocal ruins everything; this song sounds contrived, as if Brian was trying (too hard) to copy a Dennis POB song, with the fade and lyric, but comes up short
Domo Arigato
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 07:53:44 AM »

"HELP ME RHONDA". The only redeeming factor I han hear is the fact that if I end up old and senile I won't have any problems remembering the lyrics to that song.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 07:57:12 AM »

Ok, as BB fans and fanatics all, does anyone else have a BB song - a well-loved, obviously great, highly-regarded BB song - that they don't like...

I don't consider it "great," but it's a hit: BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL.  I'd like to never hear it again, & it's embarrassing to me that it's included on SOUNDS OF SUMMER & other 'best of' collections.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2007, 08:05:38 AM »

Ok, as BB fans and fanatics all, does anyone else have a BB song - a well-loved, obviously great, highly-regarded BB song - that they don't like...

I don't consider it "great," but it's a hit: BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL.  I'd like to never hear it again, & it's embarrassing to me that it's included on SOUNDS OF SUMMER & other 'best of' collections.

I agree ! I can't stand that song, although Carl's guitar solo in Sacramento '64 rocks and overall I think it's a pretty interesting production.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
beckettwatt
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2007, 09:35:40 AM »

Thankfully, having lurked here for a while, I know this isn't going to be too sacriligious - "Forever" is just... aargh! That's not to say that it isn't a pleasant, melodic little ditty, but that the surving members (except for maybe Al Jardine - I know he's cited Pacific Ocean Blue as a "masterpiece" or words to that effect in several interviews) continue to perpetuate the myth that Dennis Wilson's songwriting career began and ended with this cringingly plainspoken love song is absurd.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2007, 09:39:49 AM »

I can actually think of my least favorite "popular" BB song...Don't Back Down.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2007, 10:31:40 AM »

I can't stand...
You're So Good To Me...nails on chalkboard..I hate that wimpy chorused guitar and the whole vocal arrangement.

On the other hand Don't Worry Baby still send chills and the background vocals are some of the most beautifully dramatic in the BB's canon... IMO. AGD's description of DWB reminded me of how much I cringe whenever someone talks about how wonderful You're So Good To Me is. This is a highly personal thread...its like talking politics or religion. To pick which classic you hate is definitely going to step on someone else's taste.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2007, 10:42:45 AM »

Love Carl but hate "I Was Made To Love Her".

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2007, 11:21:58 AM »

Kokomo-overcommercialized tripe, it's only saving grace is Carl, Al and Bruce's vocals
Student Demonstration time-horrendous, a waste of perfectly good acetate
Carly

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2007, 12:03:56 PM »

Cuddle Up, Cabinessence and Do You Wanna Dance.  Tongue 

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2007, 12:50:43 PM »

This was a hit of sorts, don't know if it's beloved, but I've loathed "Rock and Roll Music" since the first time I heard it. To me, Mike's vocal sounds so phoney and the synths so cheesey that it hurts.  And don't get me started on the BV arrangements......
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 01:06:54 PM »

You're So Good To Me, I'm So Young, Let Him Run Wild...
thomasogg
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2007, 01:30:53 PM »

Ha! Knew that'd get a good reaction! Good debate though, although i'd say some have missed the point somewhat - 'Student Demo Time', 'Take A Load off Your Feet', are these really considered BB classics? Anyway, very surprised by some of the tunes people don't like! Don't Worry Baby and Wendy are two of my very favourite early BB tracks, but then again i gotta admit i'm not overly keen on 'Surfer Girl'.. It's, well, average really, isn't it? 'When you wish upon a starrr...'
Oh, and here's a slightly unrelated point, but if Brian really rates 'Love You' as much as he constantly claims, even going so far as to say it's his fave BB album, why no tracks from it on self-picked compilations such as 'Beach Boys Classics' and 'Warmth of the Sun'? In fact, forgot classic BB songs you don't like - let's here it for classic BB albums you don't like either. Can i quite proudly start by stating that the aforementioned 'Love You' is utterly, totally, absolutely, ridiculously over-rated!
thomasogg
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2007, 01:31:36 PM »

Oh yeh, and can i agree with 'Be True To Your School' being crap...? Thanks.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2007, 08:08:39 PM »

I like all Beach Boys songs. Even "Summer of Love" or "She Believes in Love Again".

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2007, 09:17:59 PM »

never been a fan of the smiley vegetables...that same bass line over and over just bugs me, it never goes anywhere....and it's funny what brian did with wind chimes, i love the smiley version, but when it gets real loud, kinda ruins it...and then the opening parts of gettin hungry so loud in my ear when i'm trying to listen to "whispering wind" vocals before it....never dug that.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2007, 09:21:05 PM »

Call me old fashioned, but I can't stand A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A TREE and TRANSCENDENTAL MEDITATION . Although the T.M. SONG was no better. I would of liked to hear a few more cover songs on 15 BIG ONES. If that was Brian's " comeback " album, it sure missed a lot of good stuff that probably were little gems we never heard of.

Ted  Smokin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx