gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680717 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 03:22:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE DVD Has Gone Platinum  (Read 4360 times)
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2006, 06:59:17 AM »

I can't seem to find a thread about this, but apparently the "Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE" DVD went platinum while the actual studio album appears to still be waiting for gold.  You can go to the RIAA Gold/Platinum database for proof.  Way to go, Brian!

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 07:02:08 AM »

Cool.

Watch out for snakes!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 07:28:16 AM »

I can't seem to find a thread about this, but apparently the "Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE" DVD went platinum while the actual studio album appears to still be waiting for gold.  You can go to the RIAA Gold/Platinum database for proof.  Way to go, Brian!

Sweet!!!

A Grammy win next month(?) would only help this achieve even more sales.

Way to go, Bri!

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 07:48:34 AM »

SMiLE "should" be Triple Platinum!!  More people should own it.
Big Bri
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 08:40:26 AM »

I'm glad it sold so well and for the nod, but Brian is not going to get the Grammy.  He stands less of a chance this year than he did last year. David Leaf is up against a legendary Oscar-winning filmaker who made a film about Bob Dylan, the only American musical artist who is more significant than Brian. The nomination is good, but don't delude yourselves into thinking it stands a chance.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 09:06:17 AM »

"David Leaf is up against a legendary Oscar-winning filmaker..."

Correction: Martin Scorsesse never won an oscar. Which is a joke in itself.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 09:22:35 AM »

By the way, DVD's get platinum-status with a less copies sold than CD's.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 11:11:52 AM »

I agree, great though SMiLE is, the Dylan biog is better (and has had much more publicity, AND is by Martin Scorsese) and will walk it. Would be great if I'm wrong though.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 01:49:18 PM »

Brian (or Mr Leaf for that matter) won't get that Grammy. I think it's a similar fodaing situation as last year, when Ray Charles (great, great musician) got Grammys for an album that wasn't great, just good, just because he died shortly before the grammys. Bob Dylan gets the grammy, 'cause it's a movie about Dylan and because of Scorsesse.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 04:06:10 PM »

"David Leaf is up against a legendary Oscar-winning filmaker..."

Correction: Martin Scorsesse never won an oscar. Which is a joke in itself.

I stand corrected, but didn't Aviator win?
mistermono
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 06:43:22 PM »

Bob Dylan gets the grammy, 'cause it's a movie about Dylan and because of Scorsesse.

Dylan gets the Grammy because it's a better film, hands down.
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 07:24:26 PM »

Nope, Scorscese has never won an Oscar.   Hopefully he will this time around.  Although it would be nice if Leaf won. 

My god...Raging Bull, King Of Comedy, Bring Out The Dead, Taxi Driver...man, so unfair. 

Watch Brokebutt Mountain sweep it all up even leaving Walk The Line in the wind.   Nothing gets Oscars more than movies about the disabled and "controversial love" in the past 20 years.

Feh.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 10:56:31 PM »

Bob Dylan gets the grammy, 'cause it's a movie about Dylan and because of Scorsesse.

Dylan gets the Grammy because it's a better film, hands down.

WORD!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2006, 03:42:03 AM »

"My god...Raging Bull, King Of Comedy, Bring Out The Dead, Taxi Driver...man, so unfair."

The biggest joke was "Gangs Of New York". 10 or 11 nominations.... AND ZERO OSCARS!!! But Kubrick also never won an Oscar, so he´s in fine company.

Evenreven
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2006, 06:21:43 AM »

David Lynch and Alfred Hitchcock never won either.

And, I'd definitely rather see the prize go to No Direction than Smile. I love almost every Brian Wilson-related release, but I'd rather see the award go to the better film.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx