gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681028 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 09:13:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BB's get two albums in RS albums of 1967  (Read 3345 times)
Crow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2007, 01:02:44 PM »

In Rolling Stone's new issue they list Smiley Smile and Wild Honey as two essential albums of 1967 - the summer of love. I thought this was pretty interesting as neither album had much impact upon their initial release. Kinda cool. Any thoughts?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 01:10:33 PM »

SS And WH were just ahead of there time IMO

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 03:26:28 PM »

That goes to tell you that a half hearted effort from Brian and the Beach Boys can stand the test of time as well as anyone. These are a far cry from what Smile would have been yet they are still very solid albums!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 01:46:34 AM »

Can you tell us what is written about the albums?

Although commercially they were weak, I think that maybe some musicians picked up on these albums. Jim Morrison was reportedley a fan of "Wild honey".
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 01:47:45 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 08:02:29 AM »

Although commercially they were weak, I think that maybe some musicians picked up on these albums. Jim Morrison was reportedley a fan of "Wild honey".

That's a given, his favourite band were the beach boys and the kinks.

http://www.lizardking.org/page6.html

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 08:12:53 AM »

http://www.lizardking.org/page6.html

Yeah, but the Beach Boys were alots of peoples favorite band and yet no one seemed to care about "Wild honey"

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 11:38:34 AM »

That's awesome that those albums are getting recognition. I don't know a single person (off-line) that truly appreciates them. Not even the few 'Beach Boys fans' that I know. It's about darn time.  Smiley
MBE
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 07:04:09 PM »

They are deserving of recognition (Wild Honey especally) and though that a-s Jann Weiner was writing his anti Beach Boys tirade about that time, Wild Honey got a very good review in RS in early 1968.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 07:23:34 PM »

I've read a lot about Jim Morrison, but I've never seen him specifically mention Wild Honey. I'm not disputing it, just never saw him refer to it. That short "biography" of Morrison where he mentions his favorites (including The Beach Boys) was compiled right around the time The Doors released their first album, in January 1967, before Wild Honey was recorded.

Being a big fan of both Brian Wilson and Jim Morrison, I often wonder what would've come out of a collaboration between those two shining stars. Morrison's words put to Brian's music Smokin
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 07:31:03 PM »

Well, I'd think a Wilson/Morrison collaboration circa 1967 would be rather frightening...

"Heroes That Kill Their Fathers and F*** Their Mothers", perhaps?  Tongue
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 07:45:30 PM »

Well, I'd think a Wilson/Morrison collaboration circa 1967 would be rather frightening...

It would be frightening wouldn't it? In a good frightening way... police

You know how The Doors used to do those long 10-11 minute songs like "The End", "When The Music's Over", or even "The Celebration Of The Lizard"? Now picture Brian creating one of those with his modular style of composing, and Jim sitting in with him in the studio. Do you think that would've freaked out The Wrecking Crew? I have a feeling if they worked at Brian's home studio, they wouldn't have gotten too much work accomplished.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 09:31:57 PM »

The music for 'Can't Wait Too Long', 'Do You Dig Worms', and a long version of 'Good Vibrations' may have worked with Morrison's lyrics.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2007, 02:06:12 AM »

They are deserving of recognition (Wild Honey especally) and though that a-s Jann Weiner was writing his anti Beach Boys tirade about that time, Wild Honey got a very good review in RS in early 1968.

Really? Cool. You got that one or know where to read it?

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 05:44:51 PM »

It's in an early 70s paperback called the Rolling Stone Record Review goes for less then $10 bucks used.
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 04:59:15 PM »

I've also read that Jim loved 'Wild Honey'...from several sources. I just wish now that I could remember where I read that...or where the concrete proof of that is.

Wow, would have loved a Jim/Brian collaboration. The Beach Boys and the Doors are my two favorite bands of all time...that would have been great (although probably very scary at the same time!!).
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx