-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:20:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Back here
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Back here  (Read 14189 times)
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2007, 08:05:48 PM »

Hi: I was away for a long while...Smileshop has folded...for how long I dont know but this seems a logical place to park some of my cybertime...

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 08:18:31 PM »

You and your logical thinking are welcome here!

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Dr. Tim
Smiley Smile Associate

"Would you put a loud count on it for us please?"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 09:41:55 PM »

Any word on what illogical thinking went on over there wot led to the final blow-up?  Looked like they were trying to hang on for a while there.

Hey kids! Remember:
mono mixes suck donkey dick
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 10:31:58 PM »

Welcome back!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 11:03:33 PM »

Please feel free to drop by http://therecordroom.informe.com/forum/index.php and join in the fun, as an adjunct to this fine place.
But leave the drama and the past skirmishes at the door. All r welcome to come.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 05:51:32 AM »

I'm glad I wasted my time registering to the "other" board just to have it all washed away on a whim.
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 08:19:21 AM »

Hi: I was away for a long while...Smileshop has folded...for how long I dont know but this seems a logical place to park some of my cybertime...

It's probably better that the Shop folded. Hopefully Jon and John won't lose their spine and decide to put it back up. It's good that it ended when it did. I think we all knew that place was too much of a tinderbox to have long-term sustainability.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 08:29:50 AM by analogdemon » Logged

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 08:24:46 AM »

Please feel free to drop by http://therecordroom.informe.com/forum/index.php and join in the fun, as an adjunct to this fine place.
But leave the drama and the past skirmishes at the door. All r welcome to come.

Ian, I'm not going to register there. Not because I don't want to, but because I don't want any problems we've ever had to put a damper on what you're doing. That's very amicable of you to start a new board for all the Shop refugees. Good luck with it. :D

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 08:55:02 AM »

What happened?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 10:34:20 AM »

What happened?

A great deal, much of it dramatic and complicated, as you might expect.

I started a thread on this here, but my spiritual guru Jeff Mason advised it would lead to no good, so I killed it.  Now that someone started the conversation, perhaps it's okay for me to participate.

From what I have gleaned, **************

I've deleted what I originally posted as I'm getting conflicting versions of what happened to the Shop board, and also different descriptions of the "new board" Jon and John created.  Sorting the stories out will take more time than I have now.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 11:24:34 AM by Bob Spongee » Logged

Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 03:42:54 PM »

Hokey doke, I'm back for now.

I'd say the answer to "what happened" is probably already best answered on Ian's new message board.   Any rehash of it here by me would serve no point.

I'd also say I think Jeff and Jason, of all the Shoppers, got a real raw deal.  And I say this even though, after I was castigated here for discussing private messages, he has stated without any hesitation he "shared" our PM conversation with Jon. 

Related to that, it's absurd to say "I doubt that Chuck caused Jon DIRECTLY to pull the plug, but in context it didn't help, and it started a chain of events and here we all are."  Uh, no.  The "chain of events" started before I posted anything at the Shop on Monday.  If anyone feels the need to blame anyone, and there's no need to do that, look elsewhere. 

Instead, we should be happy Ian has started a new board, and hope Jon and John do well during their current vacation from the internet.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 04:11:36 PM by Bob Spongee » Logged

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 06:45:20 PM »

Bubba and Analog, and everyone, you are more than welcome to participate in the new board. It's not my place, it is anybody's place who wishes to partcipate. Any past disagreements are where they belong, in the past. This is a fine hangout, I hope the new place will be as well, going fine so far! Peace and love to all.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 07:22:56 PM »

I don't want to start anything so I will make this short and sweet:

1) I double-checked the old threads just now to make sure that this is accurate and it is -- there were a lot of people who jumped you for reading PMs.  I wasn't one of them.  In my mind, it is something that an admin has to do. In my case, I was feeling overwhelmed and without resources as a mod with no ability to moderate and needed help.  As long as you don't publicly post specific content (which I never did anywhere quite intentionally) I have no issues with an admin doing that and never had.  I think actually that was AGD's issue IIRC.

2) I know and admit I am seeing this whole thing through heavy emotion right now -- the last four or five days have sucked royally.  And so I know that colors everything I see, and definitely did Monday night with criticism coming from all quarters.  That quote you posted is an attempt to state that.  The chain I refer to was starting off my actions which led to interactions with Jon, so for me and my perspective, that was where my part started.  I think it totally accurate to say in retrospect that Jon was probably halfway to pulling the plug long before he asked me to moderate.

3) I am a bit disappointed by the attitude here, as your last email was conciliatory and encouraging, the first time I can ever remember you being encouraging to me.  It felt nice, like I always hoped you would be as a fellow Christian Beach Boys fan -- there are so few of us.  I liked it.  I am trying to be as positive about things as possible in anything I have said publicly, and I DO resent the questioning of your faith you must endure regardless of how things may appear to you.  That deleting I did came as a direct result of the indignation about what was being said about you; unfortunately in the process of pruning I failed to notice that it basically edited EVERY POST you had made and that probably did look very rude to you.

If this looks like an attempt to be rational and bury the hatchet, take the high road, that's what it is.  I am willing to give it a try if you will.
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 07:55:23 PM »

You were put in an awful position based upon nothing rational or kind whatsoever, not only by the Jays, but really anyone who was aware of either the Backroom or Cornershop, saw the Jays go on their "vacation," and leave you in charge, without voicing the truth.  It's not as if the Jays were the sole members of either area while you and Jason were being offered up as sacrificial lambs.  The entire situation sucks, and I'm glad to see the gang recoup and regroup, just as they did the last time this happened.

While the these paths seem to always be ugly, they seem to lead us to a better place.  This board has been a better place after the drama settles down and people find where they should be, and I believe the same will be true this time.  I'd say the only uncertainty I see in any of this is where the Jays will fall, but I'm beginning to believe what has appeared to be utterly illogical (start two exclusive boards, with all the bizarreness played out on the Shop board, only to close them all down) is actually a plan of sorts.  I seriously doubt either of them will sit around with their thumbs up their butts while they aren't blogging or boarding, and I'm foolish enough to convince myself I can see some of the clues.

I apologize for the attitude, but I have learned while I of course cannot control the conversations about me, if I don't respond to them, they end up defining me. 

BTW, what we saw happen this week is why I don't post on any message boards very much anymore, certainly not regularly.

Bury the hatchet?  Absolutely.  All we can do is forgive and try to learn how to not give and receive harm.  And, give everyone in the Record Room my best wishes.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 08:18:42 PM by Bob Spongee » Logged

wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 08:30:38 PM »

Amen...I've registered at Ian's new board...but I will still keep my membership here...kinda like a home away from home and also much more Beach Boy oriented over here which is good.

My advice Jeff is not to get too involved in the background stuff. Sometimes it's better to be in the outfield than home plate...

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 08:41:42 PM »

The Male Ego board is back!

http://www.maleegoboard.com/

Maybe these ARE the best of times.

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 08:52:31 PM »

Ironically it was an announcement of that fact (Male Ego) that started the thread that got me and Jason appointed as mods....
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 10:47:58 PM »

Wow, who knew such Machiavellian machinations could come up around Beach Boys and related boards?  Weird. But good luck to all the people who run these boards.  It's a thankless task!   LOL
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 11:00:33 PM »

I registered to the Record Room earlier today but still havent received a confirmation e-mail. Do I need to re-register? or does it just not like me? Sad haha

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 11:56:51 PM »

I registered to the Record Room earlier today but still havent received a confirmation e-mail. Do I need to re-register? or does it just not like me? Sad haha

Check yr junk mail. Should be there!!!!! If not, try one more time. We'll get you in there.

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 08:00:46 AM »

Nothing in my junk mail, but I re-registered and I am in! (same name as here) Thanks!

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 09:42:41 AM »

Look, I'm still completely in the dark as to what happened at the Smile shop, even after reading this thread.  I'm not interested in the politics and blow to blow details, but could someone just give a brief summary of what happenned?  This is what I've gleaned so far:

There were two boards, a "secret" cornershop and the regular smileshop message board.

Jeff and Jason were moderating one or both of these boards for Jon and John?

The administrators were reviewing PM's on one or other of these boards, and someone objected to that?

And then both boards were shut down?

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 09:49:08 AM »

Lots of people asking questions.  I have said my peace.  The details can be gleaned on these two threads.

Start here:

http://therecordroom.informe.com/forum/hey-dt5.html

then my take came in:

http://therecordroom.informe.com/forum/from-jeff-dt29.html
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 04:21:18 PM »

There were two boards, a "secret" cornershop and the regular smileshop message board.

Two secret boards (Backroom and Cornershop) and the regular board.

Jeff and Jason were moderating one or both of these boards for Jon and John?

They moderated the regular board.

The administrators were reviewing PM's on one or other of these boards, and someone objected to that?

No.

And then both boards were shut down?

All three.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 12:25:30 AM »

FWIW, Jon Hunt also pulled his personal blog.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: