Question about "Surf's Up" (the song)

<< < (16/17) > >>

c-man:
Quote from: Boiled Egg on July 19, 2007, 05:32:46 AM

at least we'll know this session if it ever surfaces in bootville, then.  oboe/english horn (cor anglais to us brits, inexplicably) isn't an instrument brian made very much use of.  the only notable example that springs to mind is I'm Waiting For The Day, where a cor anglais doubles the vocal line in the verses.

Another of Brian's productions that utilizes the English horn is "Kiss Me Baby"...along with a French horn...maybe Brian was trying to show some impartiality to the European nationalists?  ;)  Now if he'd just recorded that track on the African horn, he could've made it more universal... :lol

XY:
Quote from: Jasper on July 09, 2007, 07:36:15 AM

I don't have the exact quote at the moment, but Brian stated around January 1967 that he's thinking about releasing something that's just him with piano as B-side to "Heroes & Villains"
¨

I found the exact quote now
Brian interviewed by Tracy Thomas - published February 18, 1967:

“I’m doing the final mix on the A-side tonight, but I can’t decide what to do on the other side. The easiest thing would be to pull something off ‘Pet Sounds’, but I feel that that would be cheating the record-buyer. On the other hand, I want to keep as much of ‘Smile’ a surprise as possible. I may end up just recording me and a piano-I tried it last night in the studio. It would be an interesting contrast, anyway.”

Ok, so this doesn't have to be "Surf's Up" - my fault. Now it would be interesting to know when Tracy Thomas interviewed Brian.

Bicyclerider:
The final mix on the Aside is the cantina Heroes, which has a known mix date, although I don't have it in front of me - February 10th or 15th kind of rings a bell. 

XY:
Ok, that would be February 10. Let's see, the day before Brian recorded "Teeter Totter Love" with Dailey and a vocal session for H&V with Mike... It seems like he wasn't talking about "Little Red Book", which was my main worry.

Bill Barnyard:
The 'Cantina' version of H & V was mixed on 30th Jan 67 (if memory serves me right). That tape is missing so they had to use a safety backup master, dated Feb 10th '67 on the tape box, for the released version included on the GV Box and SS/WH 2 fer.

So Thomas interviewed Brian on 30th Jan' 67...probably.

8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page