Question about "Surf's Up" (the song)

<< < (7/17) > >>

the captain:
Quote from: Chris Moise on June 27, 2007, 07:44:57 PM

What I want to know is why they didn't use the "second movement" backing track that was recoorded at that late 1/67 session. Might that reel have already been lost in 1971?

I'd think that's the easiest question to answer: they wanted Brian singing on the song, and he wasn't going to redo vocals. The original demo he did wouldn't have matched the old backing track.

adamghost:
Quote from: Chris Moise on June 27, 2007, 07:44:57 PM

What I want to know is why they didn't use the "second movement" backing track that was recoorded at that late 1/67 session. Might that reel have already been lost in 1971?

It likely may have been.  Certainly the whereabouts of that reel have been speculated about...I have heard that quite a bit of SMILE stuff went missing in the '80s, but that one was probably long gone by '71 (destroyed by Brian?)

Andrew G. Doe:
This assumption that the 1/23/67 session at Western was for the mythical 2nd movement - I'm not aware of any hard evidence that this is so. Have I missed something ?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇:
When you folks refer to the second movement, are you talking about the second half of the song,or an actual second movement ?

Andrew G. Doe:
The 2nd half of the song - "Dove-nested towers..." and thereafter.

As far as I can see , the assumption that a 2nd movement was recorded is based on the tagging of a November '66 session as "1st movement". Some here may recall that a few years back, on the old Cabin Essence MB, Domenic Priore popped up and claimed to have heard this tape (the 2nd movement) back in the late 70s, and was promptly reminded that in a recent edition of LLVS he'd firmly denied that it had ever been recorded or existed at all. He left, precipitately. Thus, as this is the only instance of anyone claiming the track exists, and there's no available documentary proof, I'm dubious it ever happened. Anyone care to comment (that is, prove me wrong with examples - this is what usually happens in these scenarios :-))

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page