gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:29:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Devil Town (Daniel Johnston cover)  (Read 10366 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: June 23, 2007, 11:16:49 PM »

Just did this a few minutes ago. I'm not the world's best singer (which is why I do instrumentals), but I love this song.

http://www.soundclick.com/pro/view/02/default.cfm?bandID=79295&content=song&songID=5484880

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 08:12:54 AM »

Nicely done, and a good choice of songs. And as for your voice, there's nothing to be ashamed of there--certainly better than Daniel Johnston's! There are only so many B Wilsons, C Wilsons and F Mercurys out there...the rest of us make due with what we have. And your pitch, tone and rhythm are just fine. I say keep singing, and sing with more confidence and breath support. This was good and it can only improve. (Well, unless somebody punches you while you're singing. Then it wouldn't improve, I guess. But that's beside the point.)

Also, you made me want to record Devil Town now.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 10:34:51 AM »

Thanks dude. It was done in one take, and I could've used pitch correction, but when you're singing a DJ song, that's rather pointless. Now if I completely quit smoking, I think I'll be in good shape. LOL

(Well, unless somebody punches you while you're singing. Then it wouldn't improve, I guess. But that's beside the point.)
LOL Nice reference to Dennis Wilson!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 11:22:05 AM »

http://download.yousendit.com/F5F4967C76BF708B

Told you that you made me want to give it a go. I did a little arrangement for it, too. In the spirit of the song, I did main vocal a capella, then added other parts, and did everything in one take (and didn't bother to tune anything, as the banjo proves...). Mic'd everything from about 2-5 feet, to get background noise. Didn't shut the windows, and was lucky enough to get a couple of sirens!

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 07:37:20 AM »

This cover has now appeared on Daniel Johnston's site (run by Dick Johnston,Daniel's brother)...and this thread has been linked too, so Luther, you may get some downloads too!

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 12:31:28 PM »

That's funny/cool. Is it on a msg board on that site, or what?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 12:44:35 AM »

Nope. Go to http://www.rejectedunknown.com and go to "covers". It's on the actual site.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 03:13:19 AM »

Good cover! I like your voice. I like Daniels songs, but his vocals put me off a bit. In the same way that Dylan songs sound better done by other people, I think this applies to him too!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 10:38:32 AM »

Thanks dude! I really need to quit smoking though. When I do, I'm gonna redo this and see if it comes out better...

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 03:34:34 AM »

Just redid this a few minutes ago.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5484880

Let's see if it sounds a bit better now, a few years on, and now that I've taking up singing again.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx