gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:50:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Santa Ana/My Solution songs  (Read 7856 times)
thomasogg
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 02:43:22 PM »

Jesus.. I was just wanting to make sure, so was enquiring... Yeh, i'd really been convinced it was an older track so was both very surprised to discover it wasn't and then equally surprised by the, yep no other word for it, smart-arsey responses my enquiry resulted in. For the record, I'm 26, have been a BB fan from about the age of 8 (my dad had 'Smiley' on vinyl and i dug the cover, then gave it a spin and was mesmerised! By the time I was 16 I had EVERYTHING!) But I tend to listen to the music first and worry about the exact dates/times/locations when the tracks were recorded second (hence why I wish they'd put more unreleased tracks on comps such as 'Hawthorne CA' rather than alternate versions/demos etc.. I'd rather hear new BB songs, then hear BB songs i'm already familiar with being made). I just particuarly liked this 'Santa' demo, so wanted to know for definate from where it came. It wasn't not wanting to here the truth, it was just being surprised by it..
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 03:05:08 PM »

You asked, we answered, and your response was pretty much along the lines of "I don't believe you"... which can be a good way of ensuring any further questions are ignored. There are people here who really, really know their stuff, who have acces to information and material  most of us can only fantasise about, thus asking if there was anyone here who'd actually heard the "SAW" early version was guaranteed to raise a few hackles (it's been in wide circulation for over 15 years). Like I said, that was just me irked - when I get smart-arsey, you'll know it.

And now I'm done on this subject.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
thomasogg
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 03:33:12 PM »

Has anyone got a beer?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 04:03:01 PM »

Well, it's done now, so i suggest we all let it go. You say you didn't intend to come across that way... okay, fine. I'll let it go, apology accepted...please accept mine.

Here's a quick tip...if the person has "honored guest" by their user name, it's because they are someone in a position of knowledge.

Thomas, if you need more knowledge about the world of the BB, I seriously recommend reading AGD's book or checking his website. Also, read the pinned topics on this forum.
Andrew's website is www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/
Dude, seriously, check it out. Also check out some of the other sites, too. You'll find you'll have a better time here once you're "caught up to speed", as it were.
But I tend to listen to the music first and worry about the exact dates/times/locations when the tracks were recorded second

I was like that too. Ask anybody who knew me on BB forums about 10 years ago.

Anyway, what's done is done...let's just put this behind us.

Oh, and welcome to the board!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2007, 04:45:06 PM »

I for one am happy to answer any questions as long as my answer is taken seriously.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2007, 11:18:48 PM »

Seconded.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2007, 11:26:42 PM »

Thirded.
LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2016, 09:42:56 AM »

I know this thread is dead but I know starting new threads when there's similar existing threads is frowned upon so I thought I'd post question here:

Is anyone aware of a decent remix of "My Solution"? I was doing some reading and saw that seltaeb had done a remix but I've been having a hard time locating it. Anyone have a link handy for a youtube video or anything? I'm by no means asking to buy or sell a bootleg  Smiley PM me if necessary.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2016, 10:31:05 AM »

I also have the same booted CD, and the version of Santa Ana Winds you're referring to. Was always under the impression that it was cut for the LA Light sessions. I like this rougher version better than the final one that showed on Keepin the Summer Alive.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »

Was this version of Santa Ana Winds (and Looking Down the Coast) on the reel heard by Walter Yetnikoff of CBS?
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2016, 11:38:16 AM »

<<Was this version of Santa Ana Winds (and Looking Down the Coast) on the reel heard by Walter Yetnikoff of CBS?>>

Yes.

The detailed examination of the making of LA LIGHT in ESQ lists the contents of the reel, in order:
California Feelin'
Santa Ana Winds (1st mix)
Love Surrounds Me (early mix)
Baby Blue (early Mix/Carl vocal)
I'm Beggin' You Please (Brian demo)
Lookin Down the Coast
Brian's Back
Calendar Girl (Criteria version - not the later, polished and unheard Bruce Johnston production)
Good Timin' (1974 with Carl scratch vocal)
Shortnin' Bread (I believe this was a new instrumental track... basic track for the released version without vocals - not the Adult Child version)

In that issue, Jerry Schilling speaks at length about the genesis of Santa Ana Winds, which came about as a result of a conversation he had with Brian during the MIU sessions in 1977.  According to the piece, Brian played a more "rock oriented" backing track for Jerry in 1978, which I assume was the track for the first version, with drums. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2016, 07:26:17 PM »

<<Was this version of Santa Ana Winds (and Looking Down the Coast) on the reel heard by Walter Yetnikoff of CBS?>>

Yes.

The detailed examination of the making of LA LIGHT in ESQ lists the contents of the reel, in order:
California Feelin'
Lookin Down the Coast
Brian's Back
Calendar Girl (Criteria version - not the later, polished and unheard Bruce Johnston production)
Shortnin' Bread (I believe this was a new instrumental track... basic track for the released version without vocals - not the Adult Child version)

In that issue, Jerry Schilling speaks at length about the genesis of Santa Ana Winds, which came about as a result of a conversation he had with Brian during the MIU sessions in 1977.  According to the piece, Brian played a more "rock oriented" backing track for Jerry in 1978, which I assume was the track for the first version, with drums. 

The Criteria mix reel early mix of "Love Surrounds Me" is just the basic track with minimal overdubs  - no vocals or guitars (save bass)were on the track at that point. That's PROBABLY the instrumental mix that has floated around on tapes and bootlegs for years - hard to say, though, since the Criteria mix reel mix appears to have been removed at some point from the actual Criteria mix reel!  As for "Shortenin' Bread" - it is the basic track for the released version, with a Carl scratch vocal.
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2016, 08:47:53 AM »

Here's a quick tip...if the person has "honored guest" by their user name, it's because they are someone in a position of knowledge.

Yet AGD doesn't have that "honored guest" tag under his name.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2016, 09:05:28 AM »

Yet AGD doesn't have that "honored guest" tag under his name.
He did then, in 2007. He didn't want to be honored anymore, but just be known as a hard-working guy.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
yonderhillside
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2016, 04:27:55 PM »

I resurrected the thread with a question - that question has been grossly overseen.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »

Yes.

California Feelin'
Lookin Down the Coast
Brian's Back
/quote]

Alawys assuming the final version would've been polished, this isn't as bad as what was eventually released, though I could do without Calendar Girl
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2016, 05:09:25 PM »

<<Alawys assuming the final version would've been polished, this isn't as bad as what was eventually released, though I could do without Calendar Girl>>

I'm hopeful the polished/finished version comes out some day... maybe on a collection of previously unreleased covers... or a special edition of the LA Light Album.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »

I almost forgot about our old friend thomasogg. The precursor to ghost/newguy/summerinparadise.flac and Sheri/Denni.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx