gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:38:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Live in Norway - the whole show online  (Read 21443 times)
anders wyller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2007, 03:05:52 AM »

Hey, guys, come on – a hurried broadcasted show like this is ofcourse not intended for the sceptics, and def not for heavy analyzing –The producer of this broadcast obviously doesn’t know Brians story, and therefore doesn’t know what we know; – that Brian, unlike other famous singers, needs to be, er, slightly buried in the mix  – That said; the show in Oslo was great – no art, alright, but the sound/mix was truly fantastic (yes, Marcella was a highlight) – and ALL Norwegian papers were in awe giving him top reviews.  Brian’s akwardness, his humour, jokes, 12 times ’thank you for coming tonight’ etc, in some akward way worked in front of these 5000 people – yes, the band was suffering under the absence of Darian and Scott, and obv. suffering from heavy jetlag, Jeff looked ill, Brian’s voice were by far weaker than in Boston las October (when it was exceptional) etc. Still – it will rank as one of my alltime fave Brian shows - but then again - I'm norwegian -
anders
Count Takeshi
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2007, 03:56:25 AM »

In parts I really liked Brian's voice. The Surfer Girl bridge was Knebworth like and SJB resembled 70's Brian to my ears.
Good to hear of the Norwegian media enjoyed it. :-)

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2007, 06:38:05 AM »

"Johnny b good" rocked like hell ! Probably one of the best Brian-performances that day.

I wonder why Jim Hines misses a beat in "California girls" and nearly looses everything at one point in "Marcella". Never heard him so ...what's the word... flubby (?)

Anyone know why they shortened the intro to "Wendy" and don't sing the "feel the vibrations and all the sensations"-parts in "Break away" ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2007, 06:43:36 AM »

It sounded like Brian was having voice trouble-- he kept clearing his throat. When I saw him last year he sounded terrific. I wouldn't dismiss him over one show. Jeff didn't sound too great in parts either. The whole band (apart from Brian) looked a little stilted compared to how they usually act. It might have been the cold.

I think this show had several strikes against it-- jetlag, Darian and Scott were missing, and it was a festival, and the crowd didn't seem TOO into it, which might have affected Brian. On the other hand, Brian was really, really enthusiastic. He seemed to be enjoying himself, and I think his enthusiasm might have negatively affected his singing. For example, it sounded like he was trying to imitate Al Jardine on Then I Kissed Her, and he just doesn't have that same power behind his voice, so it came out kind of weird. In other parts, he seemed to be changing notes on a whim, and it sounded like it was on purpose. I think he was trying to have fun with it. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. He was enjoying himself, though...you have to give him that.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2007, 06:55:14 AM »

In other parts, he seemed to be changing notes on a whim, and it sounded like it was on purpose. I think he was trying to have fun with it. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. He was enjoying himself, though...you have to give him that.

That's exactly what I thought. And in some ways that's a good thing. I'll sacrifice the clarity of the vocals in exchange for Brian appearing to be enjoying singing! Well, at least on some songs. Undecided

I realize that by watching/listening to the concert on a computer made Brian sound, well, not too good. But I think he would've sounded kinda that way even on a good night. Did you ever notice that when you hear a concert live in person, the vocals sound much better than when you later hear a recording of the concert, or when you watch it on film...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2007, 07:00:51 AM »

I guess I'm dumb--and I do sort of care.

All I get is this message where the video should be.

"For å se video i NRK Nett-TV må du har en båndbredde på minst 300 kbit/s."

I don't speak Norwegian, but I assume that says something like "you must have 300 kb/second," which I easily have. (My status says 100 MB/s at the moment)

Anyone able to help? I'm on a PC laptop with cable high speed internet access.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2007, 07:04:39 AM »

I think Amy B. is exactly right. A combination of factors may have played into the general performance here. I sure thought every one looked cold and tired when I watched it the first time. But really, Brian is definitely having a good time.  LOL
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2007, 07:12:36 AM »

I guess I'm dumb--and I do sort of care.

All I get is this message where the video should be.

"For å se video i NRK Nett-TV må du har en båndbredde på minst 300 kbit/s."

I don't speak Norwegian, but I assume that says something like "you must have 300 kb/second," which I easily have. (My status says 100 MB/s at the moment)

Anyone able to help? I'm on a PC laptop with cable high speed internet access.

After you click on the link, and the Norwegian Wood site comes up, click on wherever you see Brian Wilson. I just tried it and it appears that they cut out the introduction of Brian, and it starts midway into "Catch A Wave", which is the first song of the concert.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2007, 07:16:24 AM »

All I get is that message. Boo...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2007, 08:56:49 AM »

Just watched it. foda, that was bad. If I was on that stage and my name wasn't Wilson, I'd be looking for a hole to hide in. No excuses - he was dire. This was way worse than any Mike & Bruce show I've seen. Hell, I can sing the songs better than that (and anyone who knows me well enough will realise what a terrible indictment that is).

[PS - re: connection. I didn't do anything, just clicked on the link and waited, and bingo, there it was. Unfortunately.]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:57:53 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 10:12:22 AM »

That was my initial reaction, Andrew, too. However, I think there were parts that were quite good, usually the more uptempo numbers. But blessed that started off bad.

edit...
freakin' word filters...
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 10:13:28 AM by Det. Billy Castillo » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2007, 11:45:37 AM »

Just watched it. foda, that was bad. If I was on that stage and my name wasn't Wilson, I'd be looking for a hole to hide in. No excuses - he was dire. This was way worse than any Mike & Bruce show I've seen. Hell, I can sing the songs better than that (and anyone who knows me well enough will realise what a terrible indictment that is).

[PS - re: connection. I didn't do anything, just clicked on the link and waited, and bingo, there it was. Unfortunately.]

Andrew, my vote is with you.  Maybe I'm missing something that other people that liked it are able to see.  Maybe they've never seen Brian live before?  Do people really set the bar for Brian that low?  I also was a little disturbed by a clip on YouTube of Brian in Sweden, where he asks to have the spotlights turned out for being too warm.  And they did!  The houselights were turned on, but that would be a pretty weird way to see a concert if you were in the audience. 
Rich Panteluk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2007, 12:27:11 PM »

I realize that by watching/listening to the concert on a computer made Brian sound, well, not too good. But I think he would've sounded kinda that way even on a good night. Did you ever notice that when you hear a concert live in person, the vocals sound much better than when you later hear a recording of the concert, or when you watch it on film...
I agree Sheriff.  I know I made this point on another message board but I feel it is a valid one so apologies to those who read it already but I am throwing here too.  Brian's voice was not great (I have certainly witnessed him turn in better performances in person), but my biggest complaint was not Brian's voice but rather the MIX. The video and audio feed QUALITY were great but the person(s) who MIXED the performance for the TV/internet broadcast were NOT Brian's mix board people. They know when Brian is singing a backing vocal part and adjust him in the mix accordingly. When he is singing a lead vocal they like-wise adjust his vocal. Sometimes Brian's switches from a lead to a backing part several times in the span of one song. Brian's songs are very complex vocally and mixing one of his shows or a Mike and Bruce BB show is very tough work. The songs deserve better treatment than they received here. Mixing is a fine art form and the person responsible for this mix just assumed that Brian's vocals should be upfront (and too much up front) ALL the time even if the part he is singing was supposed to be part of a backing cluster chord harmony. Even if Brian was spot on vocally (which he wasn't at many times) with this mix it still would have sounded wrong and out of place. No knowledge of the songs and performers parts here. No proper blending at all. Though Brian turned in a sub par performance vocally, I did enjoy Brian's vocal on a few songs (Heroes and Villains was pretty darn good).

Off topic I just bought tickets to go and see Brian on August 9 and 10th in British Columbia, Canada. Front row center and 2nd row center. Still NO mention of these shows on Brian's own board or his show in Reno on the 11th. Crazy stuff.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2007, 01:29:40 PM »

I agree with AGD, generally aweful  Huh  Let's face facts, Brian no longer has a good voice. It reminded me of "me" singing Beach Boy songs in the shower.  This concert is the live equivalent of "Gettin' in Over My Head".

But....  Let me say two things:

1) Brians vocal mix here seemed to have no 'helpful' effects to make it sound better; (ie: Reverb, Harmonizer, PC).  It was just Brian, bare and way out front in the mix.

2) Brian now has this gritty, sandpaper, rasp singing voice that he drops into from time to time.  It sounds pretty darn good.! Marcella would sound even better with that voice.  Change the set list.  I'd love to hear Brian, in that voice sing, "Honkin down the Highway". 

Time for Brian to reinvent himself.  Go more 'funky pretty'.  He no longer can sing like an angel.  Seems everyone is in agreement that "Marcella" works the best right now.  Brian, go with it.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2007, 02:21:02 PM »

That's exactly what I've been saying. He actually HAS a "rock" voice, so why not sing rock? When he tries to sing smoothly, it sounds like warmed-over ass. On Drive-In and the like, he sounds damn good. You know what i'd like him to try? All I Want to Do. That'd be interesting...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2007, 02:23:35 PM »

warmed-over ass.

There is no emoticon that can communicate the face I made...yucky.

SG7
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2007, 03:09:06 PM »

Someone on the blueboard thinks Taylor is pregnant after watching this

Shocked

The board must be slow today besides this and Male Ego coming back...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2007, 03:11:38 PM »

MaleEgo is back?

SG7
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2007, 03:21:10 PM »

Yep and in full force

http://www.maleegoboard.com/

JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2007, 04:38:59 PM »

Someone on the blueboard thinks Taylor is pregnant after watching this

Shocked

The board must be slow today besides this and Male Ego coming back...

I thought it looked like she had gained a few pounds.  WIth that loose fitting top she was wearing, maybe it's true.   She still looked great, though.

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2007, 05:14:04 PM »

Brian now has this gritty, sandpaper, rasp singing voice that he drops into from time to time.  It sounds pretty darn good.! Marcella would sound even better with that voice. 

Time for Brian to reinvent himself.  Go more 'funky pretty'.  He no longer can sing like an angel.  Seems everyone is in agreement that "Marcella" works the best right now.  Brian, go with it.

Anybody have Rick Rubin's phone number?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2007, 05:24:59 PM »

Anybody have Rick Rubin's phone number?

I dunno...I think his studio vocals have actually been a lot better after GIOMH. Smile, Xmas and the various other songs have all been improved to these ears. It seems to be the past couple years of live singing where there's an issue.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2007, 05:34:56 PM »

True, Brian's more recent studio vocals have been better. The recent "God Only Knows" and "What Love Can Do" are examples of this; they are quite good.

However, I'd like to utilize Rick Rubin more for the MUSICAL DIRECTION and overall sound. Rubin might be able to turn Brian on to a new sound, in the way he did with Cash, Diamond, Chili Peppers, Dixie Chicks, et al. Brian seems trapped in creating his own wall of sound in trying to imitate/duplicate his past classics. And he's not succeeding IMO.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2007, 05:52:48 PM »

I think the sort of thing Rubin has done with people is largely what Was did with BW in the mid-90s: peel away excess. But part of what has always made BW great is that he thought (arranged and produced) big. Yes, the songs are beautiful regardless, but the arrangements and production have almost always been a big part of it. Besides, I don't know that a person of BW's stature and at his age has to take anyone's input unless he wants it.

But this is where I go off into my broken-record speech about what I wish he'd do, which of course has nothing to do with what he may want (Because how could I know that?).

And this thread was about a video I haven't even been able to watch yet anyway, so I'll shut up.

Goin’Bald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2007, 05:58:40 PM »

Well, I have watched the Norwegian Wood concert and I noticed that it was quite cold there. Everybody was wearing coats and Jeff even was protecting his throat. Maybe that influenced the quality of the show. But it’s certainly not the way I remember Brian and his singing. I blame it on the cold weather. Nevertheless: horrible.

I’m with Billy when he says that Brian’s great when he does the up tempo songs and rocks. I saw the show in the Royal Theatre Carré in Amsterdam (and saw/heard a Jeff Foskett with a sore throat and even Taylor wasn’t feeling well). This was an indoor show and maybe that’s why this time it was a great show. Songs like I Get Around and Help Me Rhonda are played somewhat different from the records and it works. Both songs rock like never before. Marcella the same with Probyn Gregory on heavy lead guitar and even Billy Hinsche did a great Sail On Sailor. And yes, Drive-In. I even start liking Do It Again again. Brian was very talkative during the first show. I went also to the second show last night in Groningen. Same thing as in Amsterdam, but this time the audience was in great shape too. I really think Brian enjoyed the show too, although he wasn’t very talkative. There were only two or three slight mistakes during these two shows.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx