gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:06:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Live in Norway - the whole show online  (Read 21834 times)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2007, 05:59:03 PM »

And this thread was about a video I haven't even been able to watch yet anyway, so I'll shut up.

Go back to Page 1, Post 1 of this thread. Click on the link that SurfRiderHawaii provided. The link WILL come up. I just tried it again. Sit there quietly for 17 seconds and Brian will magically appear singing "Catch A Wave"!!!!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2007, 06:04:43 PM »

And this thread was about a video I haven't even been able to watch yet anyway, so I'll shut up.

Go back to Page 1, Post 1 of this thread. Click on the link that SurfRiderHawaii provided. The link WILL come up. I just tried it again. Sit there quietly for 17 seconds and Brian will magically appear singing "Catch A Wave"!!!!

I'll trust you...but I tried several times yesterday, and no video ever appeared. (The Norwegian message that did is posted somewhere a few pages back.) We'll see what happens. Frankly, I'm curious if it's as bad as everyone says. (I believe it may be.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2007, 06:06:36 PM »

Nope. Just "For å se video i NRK Nett-TV må du har en båndbredde på minst 300 kbit/s."

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2007, 06:13:57 PM »

I just tried it again. Sit there quietly for 17 seconds and Brian will tragically appear singing "Catch A Wave"!!!!

Fixed your post!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2007, 06:16:51 PM »

Luther... I was going to give you a step by step thing on how to do it, but once you get it to work, it always works. From memory, I know you have to click Instilliger, then testes. After clicking testen, try clicking Brian's name again.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2007, 06:20:09 PM »

From memory, I know you have to click Instilliger, then testes...

This is getting into a whole new direction for me! Sure about that last part?

(lol)

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2007, 06:23:24 PM »

PS, I hit the intelliwhatever, then (ahem) testen, then the lagre or whatever. Now it works. Thx.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2007, 06:24:32 PM »

Speaking of Brian singing "Catch A Wave"....

What hasn't been addressed too much is the setlist. So, Brian's added "Catch A Wave", "Wendy", "Drive In", and "Hawaii" to the already present "I Get Around", "Surfin' USA", "Barbara Ann", "Fun Fun Fun".

What's my point? I'm back to beating dead horses again. How come when Mike & Bruce depend heavily on these "fun in the sun" songs, they are criticized, but when Brian adds them, it's cool that he's revisiting them?

Now don't answer that Mike & Bruce have always relied on them, where with Brian those songs come and go. The truth is, for the last few years, the setlists are appearing more and more similar. It is now time! Anybody have Mike Love's phone number? police
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2007, 06:31:02 PM »

Anybody have Mike Love's phone number? police

1-800-IAM-EVIL

I kid, I kid!

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2007, 06:34:25 PM »

Anybody have Mike Love's phone number? police

1-800-IAM-EVIL

I kid, I kid!

Go back to watching the concert! And when you're done - or when Brian's done - tell me if you changed your tune. Mike come back to L.A....
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2007, 06:35:22 PM »

From memory, I know you have to click Instilliger, then testes...

This is getting into a whole new direction for me! Sure about that last part?

Ah jeez... LOL

How come when Mike & Bruce depend heavily on these "fun in the sun" songs, they are criticized, but when Brian adds them, it's cool that he's revisiting them?
Oh, it ain't cool one bit. With Brian I expect more, esp. for the price.  I mean, I don't want Mike to try to sing Marcella. I'd rather try to remove my left eye with a corkscrew than subject mysef to that.

Anyway...Brian's been doing the same setlist (not counting the Pet Sounds or Smile sections) for quite a long time now. It's time for a change, or, better yet, some rest.

Anybody have Mike Love's phone number? :police
1-888-444-6404. Dare ya to call it...

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2007, 06:42:27 PM »

Anybody have Mike Love's phone number? :police
1-888-444-6404. Dare ya to call it...

Had to phone ya....just to tell ya I've been missing you....when I phone ya, California's not too far away....Come on, come on and answer the phone, come on, come on, I hope you're home....Hey, Brian!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2007, 08:20:50 PM »

By the way, I'm only at In My Room,  but I was expecting a lot worse. I've heard other shows where BW is this bad. And I must admit, he does at least seem animated in his (subpar) performance, which beats being robotic. His little extra things are amusing.

When I first saw Smile, Glasgow 04, he was TERRIBLE in the first half. His Time To Get Alone was disturbingly bad to the point that I had honestly wondered whether he'd even return for the Smile segment.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong--he's bad here.

Who is the keyboardist other than Hinsche?

LOL before Drive In: "Do you want me to sing really good? OK, I'll sing really good on this one." ... and he doesn't.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 08:34:52 PM by Luther » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2007, 09:05:31 PM »

I actually thought he did. :/

Oh, and thanks for coming!

MBE
« Reply #64 on: June 22, 2007, 09:05:55 PM »

Hair Club Afro
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: June 22, 2007, 09:51:18 PM »

Yep! Mike, you win a hero cookie...
LOL

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2007, 02:04:54 AM »

What's my point? I'm back to beating dead horses again. How come when Mike & Bruce depend heavily on these "fun in the sun" songs, they are criticized, but when Brian adds them, it's cool that he's revisiting them?

Well, first, there's an album to promote, "Warmth of the sun".

Second, I don't have much problems with Mike&Bruce doing the oldies. The point is they do them terrible (the new year's eve-concert was ok though and I really hope they sound much better with Christian Love). Their band consists mostly of average-musicians while Brian's band is top-notch. Even if Brian has a bad day (as Oslo), the band usually kicks enough butt to make forget about that. That said, the Oslo-concert is the first one I heard where Brian's band  (especially Jim Hines) had some problems. Might be because of the new members. I doubt this would've been the case with Sahanaja and Bennet

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
MBE
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2007, 02:58:47 AM »

Rocker I will say Mike and Bruce's band were pretty bad after David Marks left, but in the last three years they seem to have woken up a bit. They didn't compare to the Brian shows I saw in 1999, or 2004, but their orchestrated show was terrific. Read my posted review again for details, but even Surfin Safari was superb that night. It was played like it was coming out of a garage and that's a very good thing. Christian does make a difference too, very good singer and player.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 03:00:07 AM by MBE » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2007, 03:10:17 AM »

Rocker I will say Mike and Bruce's band were pretty bad after David Marks left, but in the last three years they seem to have woken up a bit. They didn't compare to the Brian shows I saw in 1999, or 2004, but their orchestrated show was terrific. Read my posted review again for details, but even Surfin Safari was superb that night. It was played like it was coming out of a garage and that's a very good thing. Christian does make a difference too, very good singer and player.

Yeah, I believe that and it's good that they finally seem to care a little about the music. But one still can't compare them to Brian's band. Many people take it for granted because they expect the band to be this good, but if you forget about prejudices go deeper into the stuff, it's awesome what a great band they really are.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2007, 12:34:08 PM »

Just watched it again, to give him a second chance, and realised that he totally murders "L&M". I'm wondering if his foldbacks were working properly, because his timekkeping and tempo were all shot to sh*t.

Which still wouldn't account for the dreadful vocals, of course.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2007, 02:47:17 AM »

I'm virtually disgusted at the Kenny G rendition of the Break Away intro. Why make one of the most powerful songs in pop history sound like mid-nineties adult contemporary crap? That show may indeed have had its occasional high points (most notably Drive-In, so I agree with some of the previous posts), but for me the magic witnessed at the two 2004 shows I've seen has mostly faded. I adore all these songs to pieces and I could go on listening to California Girls 20 times in a row without getting tired. Yet it all seemed totally lame and lazy to me, even though Brian may have had some fun every now and then (honestly, it's still quite hard to tell by his facial expressions).

Why not play some Love You material? Reportedly it's the man's very favorite record, so even play Love Is A Woman and ten minutes of fuckin' Ding Dang if it adds to the show just being a tiny tad more captivating.
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2007, 11:06:13 AM »

By the way, I'm only at In My Room,  but I was expecting a lot worse. I've heard other shows where BW is this bad. And I must admit, he does at least seem animated in his (subpar) performance, which beats being robotic. His little extra things are amusing.

When I first saw Smile, Glasgow 04, he was TERRIBLE in the first half. His Time To Get Alone was disturbingly bad to the point that I had honestly wondered whether he'd even return for the Smile segment.

I think "Time To Get Alone" is out of the set list. He hasn't performed it since 04 IIRC, and I never heard him do it well. I just don't think he can sing it in the original key. It would be nice if he'd let Jeff or Probyn Gregory take the lead (listen to Probyn's lead on "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" from the 'Mints "Wonderful World..." CD - he'd be perfect). But like so many other songs that used to be song by other BB members Brian apparently feels he's the only one that can take leads. Too bad...

Who is the keyboardist other than Hinsche?

Gary Griffin, he's filled in for Darian in the past when Darian was with heart or otherwise indisposed.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 11:24:42 AM by Jim McShane » Logged
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2007, 11:23:33 AM »

Speaking of Brian singing "Catch A Wave"....

What hasn't been addressed too much is the setlist. So, Brian's added "Catch A Wave", "Wendy", "Drive In", and "Hawaii" to the already present "I Get Around", "Surfin' USA", "Barbara Ann", "Fun Fun Fun".

Now don't answer that Mike & Bruce have always relied on them, where with Brian those songs come and go. The truth is, for the last few years, the setlists are appearing more and more similar. It is now time! Anybody have Mike Love's phone number? police

Well, without Darian and Scott I suspect the set list has to be pretty small and not too adventurous.

But having said that I agree with you. There is SO much great stuff I'd rather hear. How about "What Love Can Do", GIOMH (the song), "What I Really Want For Christmas" and "Christmasey" (at the right time of year), "South American", and other Imagination and later stuff?

I want to hear them do "Girls On The Beach", "She Knows Me Too Well" (with Jeff on lead), "Melt Away", "The Night Was So Young", "This Isn't Love",  "Wake The World", and so on. They did a few of those in the past, why aren't they still in the set list? Maybe do one set of greatest hits, and one set of obscurities - maybe even include some other band members' work BW appeared on or wrote - "No Wrong Notes In Heaven" by Scott Bennett, "Ride" by Wondermints, "Guess I'm Dumb" and "Do You Have Any Regrets" with Darian on lead. That would be great.

There's so much that could be done to break out of the "Greatest Hits" pattern.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 11:25:39 AM by Jim McShane » Logged
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2007, 02:43:35 PM »

They don't want to.  They want to appeal to Beach Boys fans.  I sometimes wonder if having Brian tour every single year, with so many songs from the Mike Love playbook, is just a way to say "nyah, nyah" to Mike.  Allowing Al to tour with Brian, after forbidding Brian to have contact with him for several years, just adds to my suspicions.  On one tour, there were even stops where they were close and within a day or two of Mike and Bruce dates.  They even had Brian play a one-off gig in Vegas when Brian was actually in town to see the Cirque du Soleil "Love" debut.   And the Beach Boys had been there at the same time or very recently.  I suspect Brian will retire whenever Mike does.

I'm getting so cynical.  I need to stop.  I love Brian; I've enjoyed every show of his that I've seen.  I even went miles out of my way to see him a few times.  But I think if you love Brian, you don't want to see him embarrass himself.  And it's getting close to that.  You can also say the same thing about some of Mike's performances, BTW.  Maybe they should both hang it up for a bit, or try for a one-off reunion that will rake in the bucks so they can sit back and relax.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2007, 03:15:48 PM »

They don't want to.  They want to appeal to Beach Boys fans. 

... But I think if you love Brian, you don't want to see him embarrass himself.  And it's getting close to that. 

Wait, this is all based on one show? I saw Brian last year and thought he sounded great. Better than I'd ever heard him (other than on the 60s recordings, of course).
I have mixed feelings about having other people in the band take leads. It's a Brian Wilson show. When you go to a Paul McCartney show, Paul sings the leads-- not his band. Same with Brian. I know Brian's band is talented. Maybe after Brian retires, they'll go on tour and do their own thing. Or maybe they could "open" for Brian. I still think Brian is a great singer. I'm not deluding myself and thinking that he can still sound like he did when he was 24, but I love the sweetness in his voice. On a good night-- and I think the number of those is actually increasing-- Brian is still a great singer. Just different.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx