gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:49:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: To make an album better  (Read 10788 times)
thomasogg
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2007, 10:06:35 PM »

The Beach Boys are by far my favourite band of all time, and I rate them as better than The Beatles, but not everything they did was great. 'Take A Load..' was a B-side, 'Tears In The Morning' is too cheesy, 'He Come Down' is a mess etc. These are just my opinions, but they're jolly good ones. Even if you like these tracks, their were better ones remaining unreleased and i think they shoulda replaced 'em for sure, for the sake of the albums, and their image (what is gonna resonate more if an audience in the '70's, a song like '4th of July' about Vietnam, or a song about a guy called Pete taking care of his feet?).
I didn't think anyone liked 'Feet..' except Al Jardine haha!! The aforementioned Beatles were great, but that doesn't change the fact that 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' sucks ass!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2007, 10:08:56 PM »

I liked it. But really, I liked everything the BB did 1966-1976. I agree about Bruce's songs. I like them, but IMHO he was (and is) the weakest member of the group.

The aforementioned Beatles were great, but that doesn't change the fact that 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer' sucks ass!

I agree 100%.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2007, 10:22:02 PM »

I think what makes Bruce's songs work in the context of Sunflower and Surf's Up are what Brian added to them harmonically. His falsetto lines were excellent and they also had a flow with the rest of the material. Were there better songs in the vaults? Yes but I think that at least on Sunflower the flow as an LP is perfect.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2007, 10:24:34 PM »

Good point, Mike. I think too if you take what everyone's said about Going Pubic, you can see what Bruce can do by himself, without Brian or anybody else helping reign in his suckiness.

Or so I hear. I've never heard it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
thomasogg
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2007, 10:28:24 PM »

Going 'Pubic'? Not THAT'S a typo!! I don't agree about TITM flowing with the rest of the material on Sunflower, I think it really jars.. Deirdre fits well, but 'Tears' seems out of place to me.
MBE
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2007, 11:10:12 PM »

Good point, Mike. I think too if you take what everyone's said about Going Pubic, you can see what Bruce can do by himself, without Brian or anybody else helping reign in his suckiness.

Or so I hear. I've never heard it.
It's a joke
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2007, 11:24:15 PM »

Going 'Pubic'? Not THAT'S a typo!!
Freudian slip!:lol

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2007, 02:47:39 AM »

These are just my opinions, but they're jolly good ones.

I knew it !! Welcome back, Bobby California !!!

...a song like '4th of July' about Vietnam

... which isn't about Vietnam but the New York Times - according to Jack Rieley.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2007, 03:59:37 AM »

On Sunflower, I'd drop "Tears in the Morning" and replace it with "San Miguel."

On Surf's Up, I'd drop "Student Demonstration Time" and "Lookin' at Tomorrow" and replace them with "H.E.L.P. is on the Way" and "I Just Got My Pay."

Glenn
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2007, 04:23:05 AM »

I'd still ike to go for the Sunflower sprawling double LP, it could easily be done, it could have about 30 songs, it would be like the BB equivalent of the White Album, off the top of my head you could add

San Miguel
Soulful old man sunshine
I just got my Pay
When girls get together
Good time
Games two can play
Big Sur
Suzie Cincinatti
Sound of Free
Lady
Take a load of your feet
Loop de loop

Thats 12 songs already, i'm sure i've missed out a few. The others could be made up of more late 60s stuff - Breakaway, Cottonfields, We're together again, Walkin, over the waves etc. and/or wait a few extra months til the end of 1970 and get on stuff like My solution, Seasons in the sun, HELP is on its way etc..

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2007, 11:56:47 AM »

I'm not sure of the value of removing tracks from this 69-73 period, but there's still plenty of room to add two or three to make these albums even better.

Later on, it becomes more problematical, although call me masochistic if you like, but I'd be happy with an all-oldies 15 Big Ones.

MIU is easy: don't release it, but save My Diane and Pitter Patter for LA, adding Santa Ana Winds, Lookin' Down the Coast and California Feelin', while dropping HCTN, Lady Lynda, Goin' South and Sumhama.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 12:05:17 PM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
thomasogg
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2007, 03:49:03 PM »

Ok, it might not be about Vietnam then, but it stick packs somewhat more relevance than an over-produced ditty about foot care no?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2007, 03:55:39 PM »

I think Dennis had a penchant for over-producing, too, so I wouldn't use that particular criticism when trying to trade in his work for (in this case) Al's.

Admittedly "Feet" (which I quite like) is overly gimmicky in its production--something I think Al did far too much of throughout his production credits--but the song itself is nice in a harmless way. And 4th of July, like much of Dennis' stuff, is just too melodramatic for my taste.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2007, 03:57:31 PM »

Who was the genius who put Cool Cool Water on the A side of the single and Forever on the B-side and expected to get radio play?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2007, 04:07:31 PM »

Who was the genius who put Cool Cool Water on the A side of the single and Forever on the B-side and expected to get radio play?

Actually, I do wonder--who was it? Was that a label decision or the band's? I have read of course that L. Waronker loved CCW, so was it his?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

thomasogg
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2007, 04:16:12 PM »

I couldn't disagree more re Dennis' songs being either too melodramatic or over-produced.  His productions were often surprisingly sparse i.e. Lady and, yes, 4th of July. But then if everyone felt the same there wouldn't be much point in sites like this...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2007, 04:18:16 PM »

I think if you look to his C&TP tracks, you'll see what I mean. They sound the way marshmallows taste.

thomasogg
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »

No way, I hate marshmallow and I love those tracks. I think they get the balance just right. What about the middle of 'Cuddle Up' when the whole thing dies down and there's just a lone piano, a few strings and the BBs 'oooohing' - absolutely beautiful! They're about the only tracks on CATP which are produced well in fact.. 'Need a Mess..' and 'All This is That' could've been even better had they been more carefully produced.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2007, 08:07:49 AM »

what's wierd about so tough is that we never hear the beach boys sound like that again. It's a totally new sound from dennis (what could have been his first solo album)...Mess of Help, Marcella, All this; is sooo fresh and new...I feel like when they went to holland, it was back to the Surf's Up era of producing...not that that's a bad thing

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
MBE
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2007, 09:20:43 AM »

That's true So Tough is really different from what came before and after. I think most of it works well. The song Brian wrote with Rieley are two of my favorites.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2007, 03:23:28 PM »

what's wierd about so tough is that we never hear the beach boys sound like that again. It's a totally new sound from dennis (what could have been his first solo album)...Mess of Help, Marcella, All this; is sooo fresh and new...I feel like when they went to holland, it was back to the Surf's Up era of producing...not that that's a bad thing

In a way that's true with tracks like 'Steam Boat' and 'California Sega'. But I think that songs like 'Sail On Sailor', 'Leaving this Town', 'Trader' and 'Funky Pretty' are a step beyond So Tough.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx