gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681029 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 09:55:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: To make an album better  (Read 10883 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2007, 09:12:33 PM »

Alright, lets have a good discussion on what could have been done to improve a BW/BB album...I'll start with the Surf's Up album...I'd leave it called Landlocked...I'd take out Student Demonstration Crap, replace it with I'm going Your Way (California Slide). I'd also take out Take a Load off Your Feet, and put Wouldnt it Be Nice to Live again...think of how good this album would have done on the charts...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 09:47:45 PM »

I would include Fourth of July and Soul of Free

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:58:18 AM »

MIU should have had 'Almost Summer ' on it, what a great song!
Sunflower should have been a sprawling double album with all the appropriate songs on it.
Holland should have had 'We got love' and 'Carry me Home' on it, excising the California saga parts 1 and 2.
15 Big ones (if it exists at all in the parallel universe we are discusing) should have been an all oldies album and should have also included - 'Shake Rattle and Roll', 'Sea Cruise' and 'Ruby Baby'. The craziness of this album would be amplified even more!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 02:39:05 AM »

Pet Sounds add GV's, plus a better cover, although in 2007 it's kind of cool in a un-cool way. Smokin
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 02:49:03 AM »

'Guess i'm dumb' and 'Sherry she needs me' on Summer Days.
'Time to get alone' and 'I went to sleep' on Friends
'Marilyn Rovell' on Love You

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 05:46:53 AM »

'Loop de Loop' and 'When Girls Get Together' on Sunflower.
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 06:32:17 AM »

'Guess i'm dumb' and 'Sherry she needs me' on Summer Days.
'Time to get alone' and 'I went to sleep' on Friends
'Marilyn Rovell' on Love You

Perhaps tempting controversy.....Would you take anything off those albums?

Bugged at My Old Man?  (too "tossed off"?)

Transcendental Meditiation?  (Which I actually like, but others seem put off by it)

Love is a Woman?  (Sometimes I think it the album would end better with Airplane)

Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 06:50:10 AM »

"Transcendental Meditation" should have been saved for 20/20.

Obviously, "Bull Session With Big Daddy" should have been dropped from TODAY; add "Guess I'm Dumb" right after "Please Let Me Wonder" to fill out the side.

Oh yeah, on "Smiley Smile" replace all the "SMiLE" material with the actual "SMiLE" versions and replace "Fall Breaks", "She's Goin' Bald", "Little Pad", "With Me Tonight", "Gettin' Hungry" and "Whistlin' In" with "Do You Like Worms?", "Look", "I'm In Great Shape","Child Is Father Of The Man", "Cabin Essence", "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow", "I Love To Say Dada" and "Surf's Up".  Grin
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 07:14:47 AM »

It's easy to improve any Beach Boys album post Friends - add some unreleased Dennis songs, take out the weaker non Dennis tracks.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 08:54:13 AM »

Just a general answer to the question without addressing any specific albums...

The biggest problem with the Beach Boys' albums was not the songs that were included on the album(s), but the songs that were EXCLUDED. They didn't necessarily have to delete any of the songs that ended up on the albums, but they should've added some of the superior songs that were left in the can. The Beach Boys' albums were too short to begin with. You could improve almost all of The Beach Boys' albums by an entire grade by simply adding a song or two.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 10:33:39 AM »

I figure y'all ain't gonna like this one, but here goes: Wink

The Beach Boys should have been the vocalists on the Brian Wilson album. Why do I say that? Because so many of the songs on BW sound like they were written for the Boys' leads and bg vox, subconsciously if not intentionally. And yes, I mean it should have been a BEACH BOYS album, not just a BW one.

And remember, that's just my opinion; I don't think it would have been a particularly feasible scenario, given the times. Landy would have never let it happen, even if everyone else had been amenable (with all other politics being set aside).

« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:38:31 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 10:39:33 AM »

one of the most superior songs that is mind boggling as to why it was left off an album is Soulful Old Man Sunshine

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 11:00:21 AM »

The Beach Boys should have been the vocalists on the Brian Wilson album. Why do I say that? Because so many of the songs on BW sound like they were written for the Boys' leads and bg vox, subconsciously if not intentionally. And yes, I mean it should have been a BEACH BOYS album, not just a BW one.

And remember, that's just my opinion; I don't think it would have been a particularly feasible scenario, given the times. Landy would have never let it happen, even if everyone else had been amenable (with all other politics being set aside).

Ain't gonna like it? I AGREE with it 100%

With the exception of Pacific Ocean Blue, none of the Beach Boys had anything to say - musically - outside of the Beach Boys. And that includes Brian's solo albums. Especially Brian's solo albums.

With this band, the whole is absolutely greater than the parts. The Beach Boys' solo albums have proven that. And I have a feeling Al's new album will fall into that category also. I will continue to beat the proverbial dead horse. Each Beach Boy - Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce AND DAVID, should contribute their three or four best songs to a single Beach boys album. Get a producer to unify the sound, use all of the guys' voices, and you have a legitimate new Beach Boys album.
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 11:17:46 AM »

I like that album a lot, anyway, but YES!!!!!!  Just thinking about how that would've sounded has made my day! 
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 11:31:42 AM »

I've long thought this, and I think with some songs - like Night Time; it sounds like it was written for Mike.

I think Love And Mercy, Melt Away and Little Children would have Brian vocals no matter what.
Walkin' The Line would have been Mike on the verses, Al on the choruses.
There's So Many - Bruce on the verses, Carl on the rest.
Let It Shine sounds like an Al song.
Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long and Meet Me In My Dreams would've been Brian and Carl.
Night Time like I said sounds like a Mike.
Rio Grande - Al and Brian mostly, but with Mike on Night Blooming Jasmine and Carl [with Brian] on the "I wanna tell you that she's so fine" bit.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 12:42:28 PM »

I like the idea of "fixing" Beach Boys albums because, to me, every one of them except possibly Pet Sounds (and maybe even that...) could've been improved with as little as one or two replacements--using existing material, no less. (In fact, I think I did a thread on this topic months, maybe years ago. Funny how we return to things.)

TTGA and I Went To Sleep both would've sounded perfect on Friends, with Transcendental Meditation kept off.

Sunflower and Surf's up both could've been dramatically improved any number of ways. The latter, to me, only really NEEDS SDT removed, but there could've been other changes made. Sunflower, for me, is about 50-50. I would have loved Good Time and Susie Cincinnati, at least. But I also like some of Brian's silly ones from the time: HELP is on the Way, I Just Got My Pay, etc.

And Soulful Old Man Sunshine should've been finished and put on there, too.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 02:53:36 PM »

With all the *finished* tracks in the can, there's no way in hell So Tough should've only had 8 songs. Anything from the  Sunflower & Surf's Up time period  could've been put on there. SO what if, say, "Games Two Can Play" doesn't sound anything like the rest of the disc. "Good Time" sure didn't sound like the rest of Love You!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 02:58:36 PM »

With all the *finished* tracks in the can, there's no way in hell So Tough should've only had 8 songs. Anything from the  Sunflower & Surf's Up time period  could've been put on there. SO what if, say, "Games Two Can Play" doesn't sound anything like the rest of the disc. "Good Time" sure didn't sound like the rest of Love You!

Really, C&TP is nothing but songs that don't sound like each other. You can really tell the guys were just working on their own projects with the Flame-based stuff, the Dennistuff, the Mike/Al based stuff and the Brian songs. So I'm with you: toss in two others and you're good to go.

On the Good Time thing, though, I really, REALLY think it should've been on Sunflower (perfect fit) or Surf's Up....not a perfect fit in terms of its silliness compared to the "serious" (I hate "serious" Beach Boys sometimes) ecological topics on the album, but still similarly good sounding with that amazing engineering and production the Boys had in those years.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 04:02:21 PM »

This thread has got me interested in something I have been meaning to do for awhile now. Burn off a CD of released 67-early 70s material, minus a lot of the songs discussed here.

May work out a play list  over a bottle or two this weekend. Beer
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 04:07:32 PM »

That is similar to a few things I've tried to do. Things like, OK, pretend the Beach Boys only released one album in the span in which, in reality, they released Wild Honey, Friends and 20/20. (In other words, a more modern timeline, when bands take a lot longer.) What could that album be? Or do a "better" (meaning Lutherized) version of [album] using songs that were available.

It is a lot of fun, and I have historically found myself listening to those more than real albums, even to the point of being surprised at the track orders when I put the actual albums back on.

Not to mention, the "over a bottle or two" part sounds REALLY good.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 04:53:05 PM »

You're right about listening to your own album more than the original. About two years ago I did a "Best Live" mix and I have not played Live in London or BB Concert since. In Concert still gets a turn now and then.

I'll know when I have had too many brews. It will be when that well known Mike/ BB hit from 67 makes the cut. "Back In The USSR". Grin
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 04:54:12 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 06:14:01 PM »

It would be easy to  combine tracks from So Tough and Holland to make one killer album (with an unreleased track like It's a New Day or Barbara from Dennis thrown into the mix).
MBE
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 09:14:54 PM »

This thread has got me interested in something I have been meaning to do for awhile now. Burn off a CD of released 67-early 70s material, minus a lot of the songs discussed here.

May work out a play list  over a bottle or two this weekend. Beer
Great cartoon
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 09:44:16 PM »

Or how much better would Still Cruisin' have been with Spirit of Rock and Roll and Love Ya on it?

Or Imagination with the Beach Boys on vocals? That would've been great. If there's ever a reunion concert (which there won't be) I hope they do some Brian solo tracks, especially from Imagination. I love Imagination, but it would've easily been on of my favorite albums ever if it were a Beach Boys album.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 09:48:23 PM by Aegir » Logged

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 09:59:20 PM »

i'd love to hear a BB version of South America & Cry

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx