gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680747 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 01:36:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 414474 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #900 on: January 31, 2008, 12:28:34 PM »

Some say it's Brian, some not.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #901 on: January 31, 2008, 12:50:21 PM »

I actually went as far as looking at the LIVE AID video to see who sang that line in absence of Brian and the answer is...pretty much everyone.  Which does weigh slightly in favor of there being more than one band member on that line, although it honestly doesn't sound like it to me.

How about just saying "Brian and/or Al."  That covers it all.  I don't think it's resolvable without more information (e.g. an early rough mix, first-hand information, voice of God)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 31, 2008, 12:52:14 PM »

Hey, Boyd!  I see you up there lurking and reading this thread.  Don't be a puss, tell us.  Who is it, Brian, Al, or Maurice Gibb?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 31, 2008, 01:00:12 PM »

So it's Brian?

Is there a link anywhere so I an hear it? I tried Youtube but couldn't seem to find it...

Yes, it IS on youtube.  I mentioned this way earlier in the thread to bolster my argument that it is Brian.  Go to youtube and search "Beach Boys Medley".  You will get a few choices, including BB Medley & R&R to the rescue from Solid Gold in 1986.  When you click on that selection, a related link will be the actual music video.  So, you can hear it/see it two different places. 

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #904 on: January 31, 2008, 01:11:50 PM »

I actually went as far as looking at the LIVE AID video to see who sang that line in absence of Brian and the answer is...pretty much everyone. 

Um, Adam... not sure what you mean with this. 1) Brian was at Live Aid... and 2) "R&RTTR" wasn't recorded then, much less performed.

Confused in the UK.

Wilsonista
« Reply #905 on: January 31, 2008, 02:44:50 PM »

I think he meant Farm Aid.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 31, 2008, 02:58:50 PM »

I don't know for certain who's singing those lines.  But it sure sounds like Brian to me....

Lemme check the documentation in the database..... Hmmm... tracks 14 & 15 on the 2" master are both listed as "AL AND BRIAN CHORUSES 2"....

Maybe they're BOTH singing that part - twice?
Wilsonista
« Reply #907 on: January 31, 2008, 03:07:00 PM »

I just listened to the track (as releasd on Made in USA)  and I would definitely buy a Brian/Al unison. It definitely bears the vocal traits of both men.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 31, 2008, 04:53:00 PM »

I just listened to the track (as releasd on Made in USA)  and I would definitely buy a Brian/Al unison. It definitely bears the vocal traits of both men.

I could be pursuaded to go along with this, esp. after Alan Boyd's input and as long as Brian is given equal vocal credit...

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #909 on: January 31, 2008, 05:13:06 PM »

:D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #910 on: January 31, 2008, 11:13:13 PM »

I'd buy the "Al + Brian" theory!  Grin During my first attentive listen to that part, it was obvious that there were two different voices at the same time. I was thinking "Al and Mike", but "Al and Brian" seems to work as well, considering Brian's voice circa 1986!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #911 on: February 01, 2008, 02:48:00 AM »

Works for me.

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: February 01, 2008, 07:51:03 AM »

Sounds like Brian to me, but you guys have heard it more than once, so I'll go along.
I'll put this one up soonest.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #913 on: February 01, 2008, 10:17:53 AM »

I did, sorry.  (Speaking of Brian/Al unison, I love the LIVE AID version of "Wouldn't It Be Nice," with them both singing the lead (Al mixed a little higher).  One of the best live versions I've heard)

I don't personally really hear Al in that section to the degree everyone else does BUT I think, on the balance, Alan's tracksheet evidence tips the balance in favor of the Brian/Al unison theory.  And Al has proved time and again he can double Brian like almost nobody else in the band (despite being the only non-family member), so I think we've solved this mystery.  Yay!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 10:21:00 AM by adamghost » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #914 on: February 01, 2008, 10:32:05 AM »

And Al has proved time and again he can double Brian like almost nobody else in the band (despite being the only non-family member other than Bruce)
fixed that quote for ya! Smiley

Glad I was right on Brian/Al unison, although I thought it was just that one verse.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: February 01, 2008, 10:49:40 AM »

Played it safe on R' N' R for now. (And just how is the title actually rendered correctly - Rock n' , Rock And, or what?)
Also, there's a live California Girls on the B-Side of Happy Endings I'd like to add, who does Brian's parts on it?

Thanks folks...
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 11:01:45 AM by John » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #916 on: February 01, 2008, 11:14:40 AM »

Hang on...you need to add Mike to RRTTR ("hey now, hey now") and his bass part to Wipeout; also, Brian and Carl's accapella intro to Island Girl...

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #917 on: February 01, 2008, 12:24:25 PM »

Done.
Wilsonista
« Reply #918 on: February 01, 2008, 01:56:54 PM »

I did, sorry.  (Speaking of Brian/Al unison, I love the LIVE AID version of "Wouldn't It Be Nice," with them both singing the lead (Al mixed a little higher).  One of the best live versions I've heard)

I always thought that sounded more like Foskett to me. Or it could be Maurice Gibb for all I know.
Wilsonista
« Reply #919 on: February 01, 2008, 03:15:41 PM »

I actually went as far as looking at the LIVE AID video to see who sang that line in absence of Brian and the answer is...pretty much everyone.  Which does weigh slightly in favor of there being more than one band member on that line, although it honestly doesn't sound like it to me.

How about just saying "Brian and/or Al."  That covers it all.  I don't think it's resolvable without more information (e.g. an early rough mix, first-hand information, voice of God)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZloEJ8fVxYQ

Pretty damn good, if you ask me.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #920 on: February 01, 2008, 05:01:55 PM »

I always thought that sounded more like Foskett to me. Or it could be Maurice Gibb for all I know.

Brian's on camera singing it, as is Al.  Aurally, it sounds to me like a 60-40 double with Al dominating.  Foskett could be in there too for all I know, I don't remember seeing him on that clip though.

Hey, true story, last night I had a weird dream about "Make It Big."  The dream was that about midway through it turned into a good song.

It's kind of interesting how on almost all of their later stuff, every member of the band gets a piece of the lead vocal (or something close to that).  I have to think politics played a role there.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #921 on: February 01, 2008, 05:18:05 PM »

Hey, true story, last night I had a weird dream about "Make It Big."  The dream was that about midway through it turned into a good song.

That is hilarious.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Wilsonista
« Reply #922 on: February 01, 2008, 05:40:09 PM »

Brian's on camera singing it, as is Al.  Aurally, it sounds to me like a 60-40 double with Al dominating.  Foskett could be in there too for all I know, I don't remember seeing him on that clip though.

Jeff doesn't get any face time. I guess I do hear Al in there, but Jeff can be heard too. Listen to the way "wouldn't" is sung - that's Foskett through and through. Ironically I can't hear Brian in there at all and right before the bridge, Brian walks away from the mic before he is actually finished singing the line (where you can still hear Al/Jeff. )

Ugh. Listen to how awful Mike sounds on the ritard at the end.

Haha, smartass.  Cheesy  That is one of the few Mlcher/Love tunes that I find tolerable. The movie was an utter piece of merda though.

It's kind of interesting how on almost all of their later stuff, every member of the band gets a piece of the lead vocal (or something close to that).  I have to think politics played a role there.

Maybe done so to disguise the fact that by this time, the BB on record had become The Mike Love Show.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 11:33:55 AM by RobMac » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #923 on: February 01, 2008, 11:44:54 PM »

"Wipe Out" bass vocal - I really don't think it's Mike. I hear many voices on that song, but only one Beach Boy - Brian. Those who scoff at Brian doing a credible bass vocal, I refer you to the 1973 version of "Shortenin' Bread"

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #924 on: February 02, 2008, 02:22:21 AM »

I concur with AGD on this, although I'm less sure that the bass part isn't Mike (but I'm not going to go listen because...well...I don't want to dream about bad '80s Beach Boys songs two nights in a row).  Here's a question, though...how is it that Brian is the only BB on the song when there's a detailed description of the vocal session -- with all the guys there (or all except Carl, I can't remember) -- for "Wipe Out" described in McFarlane's "Wilson Project" book?  I agree that's what it sounds like, I just don't understand how it's possible.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 02:26:02 AM by adamghost » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx