gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:23:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 413108 times)
MBE
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 02:15:09 PM »

Don't forget Brian co sang Surfer's Rule.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 02:17:50 PM »

I thought it was Dennis too, for the logest time, but it's Mike, with a head cold.

So Denny = Mike with a head cold.  LOL

Awesome. Now I know why. Thanks Andy.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 02:23:53 PM »

Don't forget Brian co sang Surfer's Rule.

After deliberating, I think "Dennis, wth Brian" is probably the way to go. Although, thinking about it, maybe this is no different to crediting Mike for Our Car Club, with one line of vocal. Brian has a such a strident voice in the early days, he dominates a group vocal, so it's a tough call.

Anyone wanna defend a "Dennis AND Brian" credit? Grin
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 02:38:36 PM by John » Logged
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 02:27:00 PM »

I thought it was Dennis too, for the logest time, but it's Mike, with a head cold.

So Denny = Mike with a head cold.  LOL

Awesome. Now I know why. Thanks Andy.

They do sing in the same range, generally, so if Mike has a rasp, they do sound similar. Also, sorry if I came off as too dismissive in my previous post quoting you.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2007, 02:32:10 PM »

They do sing in the same range, generally, so if Mike has a rasp, they do sound similar. Also, sorry if I came off as too dismissive in my previous post quoting you.

No biggie. It didn't come off that way to me at all. Great thread.  Smokin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2007, 02:33:40 PM »

If you listen to the session tapes, Mike's hacking and snorting all over them.  Shocked

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2007, 02:39:32 PM »

Same thing happened with Catch a Wave.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Guy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2007, 02:46:48 PM »

I'm a bit in doubt about Surfer girl and In my room being credited to Brian. I agree that his voice is very prominent and he definitely sings the lead on the bridge, but on the other hand he sings the remainder of the songs in harmony with Carl, Dennis, Mike and Al...

On his website AGD lists SG with -Brian- and In my room with -group-  Huh

What about
Surfer girl - group with Brian prominently (lead on bridge) or... In my room - Brian with group (Brian lead on bridge)?
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2007, 03:08:45 PM »

This backs up my point about Brian being the dominating voice on these "group" songs; his voice is the most powerful plus he's singing in a totally different range to everyone [so is Mike, but his bass voice is pretty understated in the "group" vocals]  - I'd say what with the falsetto being the loudest clearest component in the mix, plus the bridge [although I did use to think Mike was on the "Do my dreaming, and my scheming" section - anyone wanna take a listen?] and the falsetto at the end, I'd say that it's fair for them to be Brian vocals; the other guys are on harmony vocals.

Thoughts?

P.S. This opens an interesting question on a certain song on All Summer Long, but we'll cross that bridge...

Also, I'm going to try and stay away from "group" vocals - for instance, I think it's more constructive if we credit, say, "A Young Man Is Gone" as "Brian, Carl, Alan and Mike in harmony".  It's not a "group" vocal - Denny and Dave aren't singing. "Group" is a shorthand. I have no problem with something like "Our Prayer" being a group vocal - all six 1966 members are singing, but those early accapella songs - I'm not gonna get carpal tunnel typing out four names instead of just "group".
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 03:42:28 PM by John » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2007, 11:58:05 AM »

I'm a bit in doubt about Surfer girl and In my room being credited to Brian. I agree that his voice is very prominent and he definitely sings the lead on the bridge, but on the other hand he sings the remainder of the songs in harmony with Carl, Dennis, Mike and Al...

On his website AGD lists SG with -Brian- and In my room with -group-  Huh

What about
Surfer girl - group with Brian prominently (lead on bridge) or... In my room - Brian with group (Brian lead on bridge)?

Al does not sing on the song Surfer Girl, he wasn't there. Its Brian, Dennis, Carl and Mike...and yeah, no Survivors either.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2007, 07:56:20 AM »

If there's no controversy here, that's cool, because it means we can move right on to Shut Down Vol. 2...
Guy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2007, 08:30:15 AM »

Doesn't Mike sing part of the bridge of Keep an eye on summer? ("Soon we'll be graduating
And we'll be so far apart")

No mention of "Cassius"'s introduction by Al?
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2007, 08:49:22 AM »

I wondered whether Mike sings that; I used to think so but now I'm not sure it's not Brian. I'll listen again...

EDIT: There are two voices there, Mike and Brian - and to me, sounds like the "And we'll so far apart..." has more a Brian inflection to it than Mike. What do you think?

I've mentioned Mike as prominent harmony, but I'm not sure he's LEAD vocal on it, per se. I'm open to disagreement though.

I put Al in too on Cassius. I didn't think it worthy of comment originally, because there's no question of who it is, since he introduces himself...Wink
But you're right. There's no question that Mike sings, say, Fun Fun Fun, but that's noted, so...

« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 09:03:45 AM by John » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2007, 09:17:34 AM »

EDIT: There are two voices there, Mike and Brian - and to me, sounds like the "And we'll so far apart..." has more a Brian inflection to it than Mike. What do you think?

I've mentioned Mike as prominent harmony, but I'm not sure he's LEAD vocal on it, per se. I'm open to disagreement though.

I think it is definitely both Brian and Mike and Mike's underlying "Keep and eye on sum-mer" is pretty prominent throught out. But I am not sure the constitutes a co-lead credit either. I vote no.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2007, 12:34:01 PM »

I know I am going back a few albums, sorry I haven't checked in a bit but if we are doing these special mentions with astericks, Brian should get on Finders Keepers then. 
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2007, 01:40:55 PM »

For "she said, yes she said"? Good point.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2007, 06:17:10 AM »

I disagree with saying Brian is the first among equals on Girls on the Beach. Unlike in say Our Prayer where all the parts have a life of their own, Brian's part in GotB is clearly the melody with the other parts merely accompanying.

IMO.  Grin
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2007, 06:19:14 AM »

To be honest, here I was thinking of designating Girls On The Beach as "Brian (verses) and Dennis (middle-8)"; anyone agree? The other guys are just harmony vocals really; once again, Brian is so loud as to be "lead" vocal. Thoughts?

EDIT: Well, that's settled that. Grin
Uncomfortable Seat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2007, 08:37:25 AM »

I think Dennis also sings "faster" on Little Honda

"There's one thing I do that's kind of a personal thing -- I tell jokes sometimes which are corny, which are outright stupid, and bomb. That, to me, is funny when nobody laughs."
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2007, 08:52:34 AM »

I think Dennis also sings "faster" on Little Honda

*Dennis definitely sings the low "Faster" solo line on Little Honda, a very prominent part of the song.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2007, 08:58:52 AM »

Dennis also has two single word lines in "I Get Around" that are solo(just his voice). It's  the "round" after Mike sings "I Get Around"...then comes DW's "round" then the group joins "get around round round"...which happens twice in the song. To me this warrants at least a mention because its a number one single and Dennis sings his line solo.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2007, 09:43:59 AM »

So noted, I'll place this in. The "Faster" in particular was a lapse on my part. Denny was really their third-string vocalist at this point.
Guy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2007, 12:07:25 PM »

On "Our favorite recording sessions" Chuck Britz is also noticeably audible along with the group.

I'm not sure, but I think on Don't back down Brian also sings the last line on the verses.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2007, 12:23:57 PM »

Good points.  This thread has really geared up now and is working the way I wanted it to.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2007, 12:39:37 PM »

If someone has a clearly identifiable line - e.g. Carl in "Little Bird" - then yes, obviously credit them... but a prominent harmony ?  That's muddying the waters, I'm thinking.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx