gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:30:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 414502 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1200 on: November 03, 2008, 02:18:28 PM »

Sometimes, you can get so wrapped up in something so trivial that you just can't see how extremely stupid it - and you - are. It takes someone else to point it out to you, as happened to me the other night. No-one cares outside this board... hell, no-one cares outside this thread. I'm not sure I really care any more. I know what I think, Joe knows what he thinks and we both feel the supporting evidence is enough to prove us right. Big fat hairy deal - it's music, it's a rock band, not world peace or a cure for AIDS. Doesn't matter except to uber-geeks like us, isn't worth the hassle and name-calling and I'm sure the 180 site are wondering why the hit count for the BW clip just went off the scale. I'm done with this particular piece of nonsense: from where the sun now stands , I will argue it no more forever. Fact is we'll never know. Done, dusted, move on.
Well put.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: November 03, 2008, 03:44:26 PM »

Sometimes, you can get so wrapped up in something so trivial that you just can't see how extremely stupid it - and you - are. It takes someone else to point it out to you, as happened to me the other night. No-one cares outside this board... hell, no-one cares outside this thread. I'm not sure I really care any more. I know what I think, Joe knows what he thinks and we both feel the supporting evidence is enough to prove us right. Big fat hairy deal - it's music, it's a rock band, not world peace or a cure for AIDS. Doesn't matter except to uber-geeks like us, isn't worth the hassle and name-calling and I'm sure the 180 site are wondering why the hit count for the BW clip just went off the scale. I'm done with this particular piece of nonsense: from where the sun now stands , I will argue it no more forever. Fact is we'll never know. Done, dusted, move on.

Welcome back!

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: November 03, 2008, 08:21:35 PM »

Please stay, AGD. I enjoy reading your input.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: November 03, 2008, 09:06:01 PM »

EDIT: POSTED IN WRONG THREAD  Grin
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 09:04:53 AM by Wild_Honey-In_Stereo » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: November 03, 2008, 10:40:32 PM »

I was able to track down the fellow who put together the GOK 2007 video clip - his name is BOB SCHLEINZIG, and his response to my question about that audio was surprising, to say the least.   Here's what Bob had to say:

You guys got good ears!  Yeah, well I did do a bit of a switch there at the end, yes.  But boy oh boy oh boy, if I knew it was gonna cause so much ruckus I never would have done it, believe me!

You're right - that little bit at the end isn't from the new version that Brian Wilson recorded.  But it's not Bruce Johnson either.  It's really my brother Clint, who was a Beach Boys nut ever since way back when.  He used to drive my dad crazy when we were kids and he'd be listening to Beach Boys records all day long at  full volume, and my dad would keep yelling "Take that damn record off, they sound like mosquitos!" but Clint just loved their music, and years ago he got hold of this weird album that only had the instruments for a lot of Beach Boy songs and so one day he goes and books a studio and he goes in and sings all the songs onto this record so it's like The Beach Boys Greatest Hits by Clint Schleinzig, see?  This was way before Karaoke!  And Clint totally sounded like them which made it almost spooky, especially when he would sing like Bruce Johnson because he could totally nail that guy's voice, you know?  I still remember how he'd hang around the house and sing that Disneyland Girl song all day and my dad actually liked that song, and that meant a lot to Clint because he and my dad always had problems getting along. 

Anyhow, Clint was kind of a screw-up and he always had bad luck.  He stepped on a rake and died last year just before I got this Brian Wilson job and when I was putting the video together I put that little bit off his version of God Only Knows at the very end as a sort of tribute.  It was Clint's dream to sing with the Beach Boys someday and he never lost sight of that dream.  So now he's singing with Brian Wilson and I know that somewhere he's totally getting off on that.

I didn't mean to make anybody angry or cause any problems and I'm very sorry if I did.  I did it for my brother.

Thanks for clearing that up, Bob.

So sorry for your loss.  May Clint live on in the music.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: November 04, 2008, 01:14:40 AM »

Weird that a simple but lovely gesture (by Bob Schleinzig in memory of his late brother) can cause that much discussion and emotion.

Thank you VERY much for the research, mr. Boyd. This finally cleared thing up.

And now back to our normal lifes...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: November 04, 2008, 02:40:35 AM »

Wow, that's a really weird story...
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1207 on: November 04, 2008, 03:24:35 AM »

Wow, that's a really weird story...

I agree. That's a really weird story.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
SG7
« Reply #1208 on: November 04, 2008, 05:30:51 AM »

Shocked

Wow.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: November 04, 2008, 05:51:06 AM »

Im so sad to hear about his brother, but at the same time I'm laughing at this whole thing. I noticed while working on the clips that it had a bit of a different sound to the original, but it was closer to the original than the 2007 version. So, if this story holds true, his brother did sound a lot like Bruce...and he totally nailed that part.

RIP Clint. You got the best of us! (the ones with ears at least)

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: November 04, 2008, 05:51:43 AM »

...and I guess that would be a logical reason to tinker with the last two seconds of an on-line video clip. Talk about a twist ending!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1211 on: November 04, 2008, 09:59:04 AM »

Time to hold up my hands and apologise. I was right about it not being Bruce... and dead wrong about absolutely everything else. For the intemperance, and unkind words, sorry to all they were directed towards. Seems the ears aren't what they used to be.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1212 on: November 04, 2008, 10:58:20 AM »

It's sad to hear about Clint's passing... May he rest in peace. And many thanks to Alan Boyd for taking the time to do some research on this issue! What a twist ending  Tongue

Yet...

Well, my last message on this subject was supposed to be the last one, but screw it.

I have a theory about this explanation, that would mean that yes, it's Clint's version that was spliced in, but that Bruce can be heard nevertheless. I've just compared all the versions again and I'm still conviced that it's Bruce on that last "god only knooows what...".

I think Clint Schleinzig may have sung the high "withouuuut" that is done by Brian on the original version. This would explain why some people were saying that Jeff Foskett was "flatting"! I've listened closely to the video version and something weird is going on during this "withouuut" - at the beginning, it's Jeff's voice, but at the end, when the "1966/Clint" version kicks in, it's NOT Brian's voice.

As the "god only knows" part is still Bruce to my ears, my guess is that Clint didn't sing all the parts on the coda and just replaced Brian's part (or more precisely sung over Brian's part) and left Bruce's part on his version.

That's just a theory of course, but one that I would be more than willing to believe because it would make sense to me.

Mr. Boyd, is there any way you could verify this?  Huh

(sorry if I look like I'm pushing the whole thing too farCheesy But it is still sounds awfully like Bruce to me, and I'd really like to know "for sure" if it his him or not. Being able to listen to Clint's entire version would help, but I'm not sure this is possible  Undecided)

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: November 04, 2008, 11:11:19 AM »

As the "god only knows" part is still Bruce to my ears, my guess is that Clint didn't sing all the parts on the coda and just replaced Brian's part (or more precisely sung over Brian's part) and left Bruce's part on his version.

this weird album that only had the instruments for a lot of Beach Boy songs

especially when he would sing like Bruce Johnson because he could totally nail that guy's voice
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:13:06 AM by shelter » Logged
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: November 04, 2008, 11:20:46 AM »

Yeah, it's Stack O' Tracks.

End of story.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: November 04, 2008, 12:21:07 PM »

Yeah, it's Stack O' Tracks.

End of story.

Seconded. I think after all the hassle, I really think this discussion has to end now. It's Clint, it sounds weird maybe, heck it might sound like Bruce, but even if it was him, I wouldn't sleep less (or more) of it.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: November 04, 2008, 12:45:32 PM »

sloopjohnb, can we please leave this whole topic alone. for god's sake the fella who MADE the video just told us what the deal is. Maybe Clint recorded ALL of the parts. Maybe rubber monkeys will fly out of my ass. Let's move it along now...

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: November 04, 2008, 01:03:28 PM »

Ya he did make it clear it was his brother singing Bruce's part..and he did know Bruce sang Disney Girls so my guess is he knows the right part. A weird twist for sure, but I think we can file this one in the " done" box
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1218 on: November 04, 2008, 01:07:21 PM »

Maybe rubber monkeys will fly out of my ass.

I just sprayed a whole mug of tea all over my monitor.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1219 on: November 04, 2008, 01:20:08 PM »

I was able to track down the fellow who put together the GOK 2007 video clip - his name is BOB SCHLEINZIG, and his response to my question about that audio was surprising, to say the least.   Here's what Bob had to say:

You guys got good ears!  Yeah, well I did do a bit of a switch there at the end, yes.  But boy oh boy oh boy, if I knew it was gonna cause so much ruckus I never would have done it, believe me!

You're right - that little bit at the end isn't from the new version that Brian Wilson recorded.  But it's not Bruce Johnson either.  It's really my brother Clint, who was a Beach Boys nut ever since way back when.  He used to drive my dad crazy when we were kids and he'd be listening to Beach Boys records all day long at  full volume, and my dad would keep yelling "Take that damn record off, they sound like mosquitos!" but Clint just loved their music, and years ago he got hold of this weird album that only had the instruments for a lot of Beach Boy songs and so one day he goes and books a studio and he goes in and sings all the songs onto this record so it's like The Beach Boys Greatest Hits by Clint Schleinzig, see?  This was way before Karaoke!  And Clint totally sounded like them which made it almost spooky, especially when he would sing like Bruce Johnson because he could totally nail that guy's voice, you know?  I still remember how he'd hang around the house and sing that Disneyland Girl song all day and my dad actually liked that song, and that meant a lot to Clint because he and my dad always had problems getting along. 

Anyhow, Clint was kind of a screw-up and he always had bad luck.  He stepped on a rake and died last year just before I got this Brian Wilson job and when I was putting the video together I put that little bit off his version of God Only Knows at the very end as a sort of tribute.  It was Clint's dream to sing with the Beach Boys someday and he never lost sight of that dream.  So now he's singing with Brian Wilson and I know that somewhere he's totally getting off on that.

I didn't mean to make anybody angry or cause any problems and I'm very sorry if I did.  I did it for my brother.

Thanks for clearing that up, Bob.

So sorry for your loss.  May Clint live on in the music.

This is the kinda thing I love...two guys argue, almost to the death, and it turns out NEITHER of them is right!  Proof there IS a God!  Smiley
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1220 on: November 04, 2008, 01:48:43 PM »

this weird album that only had the instruments for a lot of Beach Boy songs

especially when he would sing like Bruce Johnson because he could totally nail that guy's voice

True. He might have used the coda of the Pet Sounds version, though. If he recorded his version in a studio, it's quite easy to splice the original coda to the Stack-O-Tracks backing track.

But whatever, I call it quits. You're right - I don't think this subject really matters anyway. Let's move on to more interesting subjects! Cool

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1221 on: November 04, 2008, 02:43:31 PM »

LOL

More proof that truth is stranger than fiction.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: November 04, 2008, 03:32:23 PM »

This is the kinda thing I love...two guys argue, almost to the death, and it turns out NEITHER of them is right!  Proof there IS a God!  Smiley

excuse you! LOL

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
mtaber
« Reply #1223 on: November 06, 2008, 01:03:24 PM »

... I knew it was Clint all along...
Jason
« Reply #1224 on: November 06, 2008, 09:08:02 PM »

Bring baaaaaaaaack haaaaaaaaaaappy endings....Smiley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 Go Up Print