gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:16:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 414510 times)
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: October 29, 2008, 09:13:48 PM »

Hang on, Andrew left over this,

It's a message baord, if not  debate, what can we do here lol

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
NightHider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: October 30, 2008, 03:16:19 AM »

That was Bruce on the 2007 God Only Knows preview clip!

I remember this really sounding like Bruce too.  But someone sounding like someone else is par for the course in BB land. 

Is there a link to this clip still out there somewhere?
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: October 30, 2008, 06:43:59 AM »

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bNMnTmSbQn4

It also features an out of tune falsetto from (I guess) Jeffrey which indicates that the audio for this video was not taken from the final mix of the released song.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
JB Wilojarston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: October 30, 2008, 08:28:54 AM »

That was Bruce on the 2007 God Only Knows preview clip!

I remember this really sounding like Bruce too.  

Maybe people "expect" him to be there in the recording. Bruce has a more nasally and whiney tone  which makes his voice sound a bit strained. And to my ears, it's a thinner voice. That vocalist doesn't have that, or least not as much.

I saw Elvis in Lake Tahoe in '71. Every song was fast and and the arrangements were tailored for a live performance, but they all sounded like the record to me; I "expected" them to sound like the record.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1179 on: November 02, 2008, 03:32:14 AM »

A brief return to clear up this nonsense. Firstly:

AGD, the point I would like to make is that I think Bruce may be joking or not saying everything. Perhaps he said it was Carl, meaning that Carl sang it live, or in some similar way he didn't make known that it was he himself. In my previous post on this thread I was trying to reconcile the statements of Bruce and Al with my ears.

However, I've changed my mind again from that last post. The lines I thought could be Carl or even Al or Dennis are not sufficiently different from the lines I know to be Bruce, and I even can see them as likely to be Bruce too.

In fact I agree with everyone who says it's clearly one person singing the entire song. Except that that one person is Bruce.

Here is the track sheet for the 8-track tape:

1 - guitar rhy
2 - percussion
3 - drums
4 - stratocaster
5 - acc guitar
6 - bass
7 - Carl lead first verse
8 - Carl lead 2nd verse

So, it's Carl... Carl Wilson, brother of Dennis & Brian. Not Bruce, not Alan, not Murry, not Glen, not Blondie. Carl. End of debate, unless someone here is seriously stupid (and that's a definite possibility).

Secondly, the "GOK 07" video. I sent Bruce the link to it. He told me he'd looked at it, and that it wasn't him. Further, a source I trust implicitly informs me that the track for the video is the released version in a mono fold-down, which of course totally changes the character of the recording.

But in any event, as has been stated several times, can anyone here think of a logical reason why anyone would want, or need, to edit less than ***TWO SECONDS*** of a 1966 recording into the new version ?  I guess they just happened to have a copy of Pet Sounds knocking around the studio and thought, "hey, let's make our job even more difficult, let's splice in two seconds of this into the video".

I am, of course, entirely wasting my time for, as my late father often said, "can't make someone listen if they don't want to hear". Bye.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: November 02, 2008, 06:56:11 AM »

I am, of course, entirely wasting my time ...

Not at all.  Smiley

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: November 02, 2008, 07:00:37 AM »

. deleted
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 07:08:59 AM by jeffh » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1182 on: November 02, 2008, 07:13:26 AM »

Further, a source I trust implicitly informs me that the track for the video is the released version in a mono fold-down, which of course totally changes the character of the recording.
Okay, that makes sense, fine. I'm convinced.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: November 02, 2008, 08:02:14 AM »

A brief return to clear up this nonsense. Firstly:

AGD, the point I would like to make is that I think Bruce may be joking or not saying everything. Perhaps he said it was Carl, meaning that Carl sang it live, or in some similar way he didn't make known that it was he himself. In my previous post on this thread I was trying to reconcile the statements of Bruce and Al with my ears.

However, I've changed my mind again from that last post. The lines I thought could be Carl or even Al or Dennis are not sufficiently different from the lines I know to be Bruce, and I even can see them as likely to be Bruce too.

In fact I agree with everyone who says it's clearly one person singing the entire song. Except that that one person is Bruce.

Here is the track sheet for the 8-track tape:

1 - guitar rhy
2 - percussion
3 - drums
4 - stratocaster
5 - acc guitar
6 - bass
7 - Carl lead first verse
8 - Carl lead 2nd verse

So, it's Carl... Carl Wilson, brother of Dennis & Brian. Not Bruce, not Alan, not Murry, not Glen, not Blondie. Carl. End of debate, unless someone here is seriously stupid (and that's a definite possibility).

Hurray! Thanks for that.

The other thing, the GOK? I never cared, not even in the slightest, one way or the other. Grin
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1184 on: November 02, 2008, 10:26:31 AM »

"I am, of course, entirely wasting my time for, as my late father often said, "can't make someone listen if they don't want to hear". Bye."

Ah, but it's the internet age.  Enough people repeat crap often enough and it becomes a fact.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: November 02, 2008, 11:18:13 AM »

Further, a source I trust implicitly informs me that the track for the video is the released version in a mono fold-down, which of course totally changes the character of the recording.

Whats the logical reason to fold it down for less than ***TWO SECONDS***? It doesn't make sense. But the tone, the voices, the characteristics  totally switches at the very end. Yes, it sounds ridiculous but thats how it sounds. Where's Josh's magic hear when you need it?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1186 on: November 02, 2008, 01:37:22 PM »

I'm thinking he meant the entire thing was a mono fold down.

Ah, but it's the internet age.  Enough people repeat crap often enough and it becomes a fact.

That my friend is some hardcore truth . It seems to me also that the Beach Boys seem to be a lightning rod for myths and misinformation more than other bands of similar vintage. It's only in the past few years that many of these are finally getting debunked (i.e. Al leaving to go to dental school).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 01:45:51 PM by Billy C » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: November 02, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »

Ok yeah, I guess the whole thing is in mono, I don't know what made me think the youtube video was stereo. Either way, this link posted by Sloop John B put the final nail in the coffin for me. I just don't know how people can't hear it.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nvn7vk

This is the original recording and the final seconds of the youtube video. Please, spot the difference.

--
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1188 on: November 02, 2008, 01:47:31 PM »

I always thought it was Scott doing that line (GOK 2007).

Meh.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1189 on: November 02, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »

Oh snap... if Mark Linnett engineered the session, then HE should know! Somebody ask him...

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: November 02, 2008, 02:02:09 PM »

Well once again, the debate is being confused between the GOK2007 song itself and the video posted. The GOK2007 is original all the way, I'm sure Mr. Linnett has posted about that. But in the video, for some unknown reason the final seconds of it just SOUNDS like the original recorded was mixed into it. Why? Who knows?!? But I've listened to the original recording  2034852098524592845094285498549 times in my life, and when I first watched the video eons ago my first thought was, why the heck would they splice the original into this? And since then its become this huge debate.

You can come up with all the sources that you want that says that the final seconds of the video is straight from the new recording. But I've heard the new recording plenty of times and it doesn't sound like that at all IMO. I'm just going with my gut instinct to trust my ears in this matter.

--
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1191 on: November 02, 2008, 02:27:14 PM »

Pardon me for asking, but is English your first, or even second, language ?  Or do you just have a severe comprehension problem ?

There's no confusion between the album track and the video track being under discussion; if you care to read my post again (or get someone to read it for you, and explain), I said I sent Bruce a link to the video, and that my source, who is one of the few people in the BB world I trust without question, told me that the video track is a mono fold-down of the 2007 recording. Seeing as you cannot evidently tell the difference between mono and stereo, I'd say your gut instinct is open to rigorous questioning, if not outright dismissal.

Yes, it does sound a lot like Bruce... but Mark says it isn't, Bruce says it isn't and above all simple logic says it isn't (aside from anything else, elements that are clearly from the 2007 track overlay it, so it's not a simple edit as some have claimed). But, as I said, can't make someone understand something they don't want to hear. The album track and the video track are the same recording, and Bruce isn't on it.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: November 02, 2008, 02:41:38 PM »

My reply about the confusion was directed to Billy, not you.  Fade back into oblivion, please. Your shrewd and negative attitude isn't wanted.

--
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1193 on: November 02, 2008, 02:48:13 PM »

but Mark says it isn't, Bruce says it isn't

"says". I think there's a slight difference between opinions and facts, but I could be wrong.  Tongue

You honestly can't listen to this (http://www.sendspace.com/file/nvn7vk) and say it isn't Bruce!

But in any event, as has been stated several times, can anyone here think of a logical reason why anyone would want, or need, to edit less than ***TWO SECONDS*** of a 1966 recording into the new version ?  I guess they just happened to have a copy of Pet Sounds knocking around the studio and thought, "hey, let's make our job even more difficult, let's splice in two seconds of this into the video".

I already addressed this issue when we first talked about the 2007 version of GOK. Let me quote myself:

"You know, I'd love to know why they put that 2-second snippet at the end of the video. I really don't know why they did it. Maybe the guy editing the video was provided a short snippet of the 2007 GOK and decided to add a two-second bit of the 1966 version in order not to end the excerpt too abruptly. He probably was thinking "Oh well, it'll be in the fadeout, so nobody will notice it. Especially considering the bad sound quality of the video.".

Mixing that '66 bit with the rest of the track is a very easy job. I could do it in five minutes, and I have no training in mixing or anything."

I am, of course, entirely wasting my time (...)

You're not. I sincerely enjoy and respect your contributions to BB message boards. You might have read my explanation: I was *not* calling you a liar. I was just saying that you couldn't say "this isn't Bruce" just because you and Bruce didn't hear Bruce's voice. As I previously said, there's a difference between opinions and facts.

This was my last post on this subject. Just listen to the two mp3s provided in the link above and hear for yourself.

As a Beach Boys fan who has listened closely to GOK at least twice a week for the last 10 years, I know that it's Bruce and that's enough for me.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: November 02, 2008, 03:39:07 PM »

Ok, since this isn't helping us make friends...I suppose this will be my last post as well.

Here is the same part that Alan (Sloop John B) cut out, but from the actual 2007 recording.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/chzxzg

I folded it down to mono, just so that there is no difference between the recordings Alan posted and this one. You will notice two things: Foskett's part has a different rhythm than the original and the video snippet, and that Bennett is much more prominent. (Assuming thats him, IDK and frankly I dont care anymore! LOL)

Here are the snippets that Alan posted incase you missed them the first 10 times.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nvn7vk

« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 03:45:59 PM by Jonas Mcfl0nuz » Logged

--
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: November 02, 2008, 05:03:38 PM »

Pardon me for asking, but is English your first, or even second, language ?  Or do you just have a severe comprehension problem ?

There's no confusion between the album track and the video track being under discussion; if you care to read my post again (or get someone to read it for you, and explain), I said I sent Bruce a link to the video, and that my source, who is one of the few people in the BB world I trust without question, told me that the video track is a mono fold-down of the 2007 recording. Seeing as you cannot evidently tell the difference between mono and stereo, I'd say your gut instinct is open to rigorous questioning, if not outright dismissal.

Yes, it does sound a lot like Bruce... but Mark says it isn't, Bruce says it isn't and above all simple logic says it isn't (aside from anything else, elements that are clearly from the 2007 track overlay it, so it's not a simple edit as some have claimed). But, as I said, can't make someone understand something they don't want to hear. The album track and the video track are the same recording, and Bruce isn't on it.
And The award for most mean spirited post of the year goes to....

well obviously.

This isn't directed to Mr. Doe, but listening to the Sendspace files again, you can call me stubborn but I have to agree with most of the posters here in saying that it sounds like Mr. Johnston. I have no connection with any BB related figures, but my ears think it's Johnston, my mind think's it's Johnston and my gut...well most of you can do the math. I admire Mr. Doe for his information but am disliking his personality.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #1196 on: November 02, 2008, 06:58:21 PM »

My reply about the confusion was directed to Billy, not you.  Fade back into oblivion, please. Your shrewd and negative attitude isn't wanted.

Ah, Jonas...thank you! Mr. Omnipotence will be most welcome in oblivion where arrogance is the preferred 'tude. Smokin
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: November 03, 2008, 02:48:02 AM »

Why do I get the feeling that this topic is heading towards kindergarten-level?

C'mon! Discussing 2 weeks (or 2 months fo that matter) is way too much for a 2-second-snippet of a random recording (well okay, it's God Only Knows, but still...).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1198 on: November 03, 2008, 10:23:26 AM »

Sometimes, you can get so wrapped up in something so trivial that you just can't see how extremely stupid it - and you - are. It takes someone else to point it out to you, as happened to me the other night. No-one cares outside this board... hell, no-one cares outside this thread. I'm not sure I really care any more. I know what I think, Joe knows what he thinks and we both feel the supporting evidence is enough to prove us right. Big fat hairy deal - it's music, it's a rock band, not world peace or a cure for AIDS. Doesn't matter except to uber-geeks like us, isn't worth the hassle and name-calling and I'm sure the 180 site are wondering why the hit count for the BW clip just went off the scale. I'm done with this particular piece of nonsense: from where the sun now stands , I will argue it no more forever. Fact is we'll never know. Done, dusted, move on.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: November 03, 2008, 10:48:07 AM »

Amen! I'm glad you're back, Andrew.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx