gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680778 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 05:05:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 414961 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: December 10, 2007, 11:56:15 PM »

Primo evidence - the hidden track on The Best Of Bruce & TerryGrin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #751 on: December 11, 2007, 08:15:25 AM »

Has Our Team been discussed?- a silly song, but I was always curious who sang all the parts- I know Al sang a big part-but Brian took a verse too or am I wrong?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #752 on: December 11, 2007, 09:44:09 AM »

Best I can recall, Alan took the verses, and Brian the "with the girls in the stands/and all of our fans" bit. Think the chorus was mob-handed.

John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: December 17, 2007, 07:54:02 AM »

I'll add some of those changes to Knebworth, but meanwhile, I need some help:

I own BB85 and Still Cruisin, but not a lot of other stuff from that time. Can some give me the info as regards vocals on Happy Endings, the original California Dreamin' and anything else recorded and OFFICIALLY released between 1981 and 1985?
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #754 on: December 17, 2007, 10:01:50 AM »

California Dreamin' and Happy Endings aren't from 1981-1985.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #755 on: December 17, 2007, 10:36:24 AM »

"California Dremain'" is...Smiley  It was recorded in 1982, and officially released (by Radio Shack) in 1983.  It was remixed and partially rereorded for rerelase in '86, but I believe all the vocals are from the originall '82/'83 version.

"Happy Endings", on the other hand, was recorded & released in '87.
donutbandit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #756 on: December 17, 2007, 11:16:45 AM »

Best I can recall, Alan took the verses, and Brian the "with the girls in the stands/and all of our fans" bit. Think the chorus was mob-handed.

Are you sure that's Brian? The voice sounds way too deep for Brian to me. My money's on Denny.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: December 17, 2007, 02:39:03 PM »

Are you sure that's Brian? The voice sounds way too deep for Brian to me. My money's on Denny.

Its Brian.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #758 on: December 17, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »

Small problem - Denny almost certainly never made the trip to MIU. Plus, the session footage makes it pretty clear it's Brian.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #759 on: December 17, 2007, 03:55:24 PM »

Small problem - Denny almost certainly never made the trip to MIU. Plus, the session footage makes it pretty clear it's Brian.

I have it on good authority (actually multiple authorities) that Denny was at MIU, albeit very briefly.
Still, he did not sing on "Our Team".  In fact he may not have done much at all while he was there, except maybe remix "San Miguel" for possible inclusion.

If I remember right...CARL actually played the drums on "Our Team"...just thinking back to that unaired TV special/video, which I haven't watched for a couple of years...but I seem to recall that...
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #760 on: December 17, 2007, 09:05:05 PM »

"California Dremain'" is...Smiley  It was recorded in 1982, and officially released (by Radio Shack) in 1983.  It was remixed and partially rereorded for rerelase in '86, but I believe all the vocals are from the originall '82/'83 version.
Was Dennis included in this session?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
MBE
« Reply #761 on: December 17, 2007, 10:53:57 PM »

It's doubtful but I think Brian was there.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #762 on: December 18, 2007, 02:13:56 AM »

Dennis wasn't, and neither was Brian, according to Bruce, although I've seen it stated elsewhere that he was. October 1982, I recall.

The difference in leads is that in 1982 the verse vocals were 1- Alan/2 - Carl/3 - Mike, whereas in 1986 they flew in Alan's first verse for the third as well.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #763 on: December 18, 2007, 04:22:04 AM »

New material released between KTSA and The Beach Boys credited to The Beach Boys on the label are:

7/81 - The Beach Boys Medley 45
  9/81 - Brian Wilson/Beach Boys Rarities (Australia - includes "What I Say" live)
10/81 - Ten Years Of Harmony (includes "Sea Cruise" & "San Miguel")
  3/83 - Rock & Roll City (includes "California Dreamin' version 1)
  8/83 - Rarities
  4/84 - Up The Creek (includes "Chasin' the Sky")
  9/84 - East Meets West 45

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #764 on: December 18, 2007, 04:53:28 AM »

Dennis wasn't, and neither was Brian, according to Bruce, although I've seen it stated elsewhere that he was. October 1982, I recall.

The difference in leads is that in 1982 the verse vocals were 1- Alan/2 - Carl/3 - Mike, whereas in 1986 they flew in Alan's first verse for the third as well.

It was early May 1982 at Rumbo Recorders.  The report in "Add Some Music" said "The track, recorded with session musicians, featured the entire Beach Boy vocal ensemble - including Carl and Brian".  They pointed out Carl's presence because he'd just returned to the band.  Personally, I prefer the '82 version myself.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #765 on: December 18, 2007, 04:57:17 AM »

New material released between KTSA and The Beach Boys credited to The Beach Boys on the label are:

9/81 - Brian Wilson/Beach Boys Rarities (Australia - includes "What I Say" live)
  8/83 - Rarities

There was also a version by Julio Inglesias of "The Air That I Breathe" with the Beach Boys guesting on backing vocals, released on one of his albums in late '84.  The main thing I remember about this was a  photo in Rolling Stone of Julio and the Boys (including Brian), wearing headphones and holding a surboard in the studio.  Probably one of the last things you'd ever expect to see in life.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #766 on: December 18, 2007, 04:58:19 AM »

I would assume 'vocal ensemble' excludes Dennis at that point in time.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: December 18, 2007, 05:00:27 AM »

I would assume 'vocal ensemble' excludes Dennis at that point in time.

My thoughts exactly.  By '82, the poor guy could barely speak, let alone sing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #768 on: December 18, 2007, 05:00:43 AM »

8/83 - Rarities

There was also a version by Julio Inglesias of "The Air That I Breathe" with the Beach Boys guesting on backing vocals, released on one of his albums in late '84.  The main thing I remember about this was a  photo in Rolling Stone of Julio and the Boys (including Brian), wearing headphones and holding a surboard in the studio.  Probably one of the last things you'd ever expect to see in life.

There are several BB guest appearences at this time, hence my stipulation "credited to The Beach Boys on the label". We're talking BB releases here.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #769 on: December 18, 2007, 05:08:17 AM »

8/83 - Rarities

There are several BB guest appearences at this time, hence my stipulation "credited to The Beach Boys on the label". We're talking BB releases here.

Yeah I realize that, but still felt the obligation to point out the Inglesias appearance, for sheer shock value if nothing else (assuming some of the newer readers were unaware of it). 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #770 on: December 18, 2007, 05:08:32 AM »

The report in "Add Some Music" said "The track, recorded with session musicians, featured the entire Beach Boy vocal ensemble - including Carl and Brian". 

Yeah, that is confusing because a few years ago I asked Bruce if a certain high part of the chorus was Brian and he was adamant that Brian wasn't at the session.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: December 18, 2007, 05:13:35 AM »

The report in "Add Some Music" said "The track, recorded with session musicians, featured the entire Beach Boy vocal ensemble - including Carl and Brian". 

Yeah, that is confusing because a few years ago I asked Bruce if a certain high part of the chorus was Brian and he was adamant that Brian wasn't at the session.

Did he say who did that high part?  I wonder if Foskett was there...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: December 18, 2007, 06:05:54 AM »

Bullseye.  Grin

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #773 on: December 18, 2007, 06:44:27 AM »

That's funny, because for years I could have sworn that I could hear Brian in the choruses... I also remember reading at least twice (different sources) that Brian was involved indeed. And then Brian said he hadn't been involved in California Dreamin' (in the WOTS podcast). So what's the final word on this one? Did Brian sing on it or not?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 06:48:00 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #774 on: December 18, 2007, 07:34:38 AM »

Well, fwiw, Bruce, who was there, says not. Brian says he wasn't there but that has to be taken in context, and in 1982 I think he'd have had a hard time telling you what planet he was on. I'd lean towards not, but will readily revise my stance if definitive evidence is forthcoming.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx