gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:39:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Definitive Vocal Credits Thread...  (Read 413146 times)
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1150 on: October 26, 2008, 01:49:54 PM »

Hmm.  Undecided  I'm very disappointed Andrew, because it means I can't trust you about other songs. Hell, that even means I can't trust Bruce! I guess that's what age does to your hearing system.  Roll Eyes

(it *is* Bruce on that GOK video, and I still can't figure how a "BB fan" could pretend it's not him)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 01:51:18 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1151 on: October 26, 2008, 02:14:40 PM »

So you're calling me - and Bruce - liars.

So the word of the person in question isn't good enough for you.

Fine. I don't need your stamp of approval, and I don't need to have my judgment and integrity challenged in public on this forum.

I'm out of here.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1152 on: October 26, 2008, 02:28:25 PM »

I've never called you (or even thought you were) a liar - your ears lie to your brain.

(see my almost-funny remark: "I guess that's what age does to your hearing system")

(*resists urge to make a stupid joke about the effects of age on vision*)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 02:35:48 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: October 26, 2008, 03:34:18 PM »

This again? Seriously? The GOK that came out last year was Brian and band the whole way. However, the video clip they posted on the website was edited with the original GOK. If you can't hear that, then seriously...stop listening to music.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1154 on: October 26, 2008, 05:00:07 PM »

Oh my god, did we just chase another honored guest away?

Come on, guys... we gotta stop doing that.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Jason
« Reply #1155 on: October 26, 2008, 05:15:36 PM »

Facts are dangerous. Smiley
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: October 26, 2008, 09:31:08 PM »

You're not innocent!

--
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: October 27, 2008, 02:02:20 AM »

Don't worry, AGD will eventually come back.

About Steven Gaines, I guess that anything he ever knew that would interest us was already printed in his book. Which is and always be a piece of tabloid crap, btw.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1158 on: October 27, 2008, 06:43:02 AM »

You're not innocent!

Yes I am. I said nothing contrary to Andrew. My response to him was just a clarity question.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1159 on: October 27, 2008, 01:59:38 PM »

Play nicely.

I will say this, though...Bruce isn't always reliable. Hell, NONE of the BB seem to be, as their recollections seem to change depending on the interview. That seems to be a problem with the BB more than most other bands. It's not a recent thing, either, so it can't be blamed on age. Drugs, either, as Al & Bruce seem to be equal on this.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1160 on: October 27, 2008, 03:36:52 PM »

so it can't be blamed on age.

I don't know if you're referring to one of my previous messages or not, but the "age" thing was nothing more than an attempt to make a joke, while underlining the fact that I was questioning AGD's and Bruce's hearing... Nuances are not easy to master when English is not your native language.

...two words: EPIC FAIL!  Tongue

Jason
« Reply #1161 on: October 27, 2008, 08:06:40 PM »

3P1C F41L!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1162 on: October 27, 2008, 08:41:51 PM »

LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: October 27, 2008, 10:11:28 PM »

I wasn't sure what the 2007 GOK sample was, exactly, htat people posted about.  Then I recalled the Target BW CD "New Music From An Old Friend" remake and the clip that was up on the website.  The CD label, 180 Music, still has the Brian video clip on their site.  It does definitely sound like they mixed the fade from the 1966 Pet Sounds recording onto the fade of the new version on that video clip, and you can hear Bruce's 1966 voice.  I have no idea if that mix is featured on the actual re-recording on the CD (someone above claimed it is not on the actual CD, just the video clip).  If AGD played the CD track for Bruce and that's what he's referring to, then Bruce is not on it if it's a different mix.  The video clip is on this webpage:

http://www.180music.com/spotlight/features_newmusic.html

I'd hate to think AGD was alienated over what might be a misunderstanding as to what was being referred to. 
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #1164 on: October 28, 2008, 02:22:30 AM »

I believe Mark Linnett said Bruce wasn't on it.  I think AGD thought that should have been enough for anyone... If I recall correctly, some people "saw" Bruce in the video too.  Frightening, isn't it?
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: October 28, 2008, 12:28:15 PM »

I can't believe this topic is being trotted out again! There is absolutely no reason for anyone to crossfade Brian's remake of GOK with the original recording for a total of one second on a promotional making-of video. Scott Bennett (at least I believe that's who is signing) does a decent approximation of Bruce's original response vocal on the remake and that is what you are hearing during the last second of the video clip. If we want to argue whether it's Scott or Nelson or Probyn or whoever, that sings the response vocal on the remake, that's cool. But this insistence that the last second of the clip comes from the original recording with Bruce's vocal is madness.
variable2
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: October 28, 2008, 01:11:26 PM »

I can't believe this topic is being trotted out again! There is absolutely no reason for anyone to crossfade Brian's remake of GOK with the original recording for a total of one second on a promotional making-of video. Scott Bennett (at least I believe that's who is signing) does a decent approximation of Bruce's original response vocal on the remake and that is what you are hearing during the last second of the video clip. If we want to argue whether it's Scott or Nelson or Probyn or whoever, that sings the response vocal on the remake, that's cool. But this insistence that the last second of the clip comes from the original recording with Bruce's vocal is madness.

Finally someone nailed it on the head. If you think it is the 1966 recording mixed with the 2007 version, you cannot hear for beans.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: October 28, 2008, 01:14:09 PM »

And you call yourself Beach Boys fans? LOL

Give me a break. I've listened to GOK2007 a bunch of times, and the tag sounds absolutely NOTHING like the original. Yet the video has a section where Bruce's voice comes in...come on now.

--
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: October 28, 2008, 01:16:50 PM »

And once again, please be specific if you're talking about the actual SONG itself, or the video clip...because I think you people are mixing up this whole debate with one and the other.

--
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1169 on: October 28, 2008, 02:26:29 PM »

Here's a .zip file that contains two mp3s, just so you can compare the fadeout of the video and the 1966 version of GOK: same drums, same voice.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nvn7vk

You can't believe that we (myself included) are still arguing about that video clip? Me neither.

But the fact that there still are people out there who say it isn't Bruce brings up a fascinating question: I can't help wondering what those people actually hear when they listen to the original version of GOK, or any other BB record for that matter. It amazes me that some people on this board seem to hear something totally different from what other people hear, yet they're all fans of the same music. To me, this question is genuinely interesting and frustrating at the same time, because I guess I'll never know the answer  Undecided
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 02:42:45 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1170 on: October 28, 2008, 05:54:53 PM »

The end of the 2007 preview video, the very end which is about two seconds of sound, is so very obviously the Bruce tag from 1966 I can't believe people are arguiung over it. Once again, only the last two seconds, but it's completely Bruce.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: October 28, 2008, 09:08:55 PM »

I never knew there was a previous controversy about this, having never read the original thread or paid very close attention to that video clip when it was put out.  But when it was brought up on this thread and people started arguing about it, I went to check out what they were talking about.  And to a fresh pair of ears, so to speak, and with all due respect to Andrew and Mark, it sounds to me like the makers of the video promo clip edited and mixed in  tiny snippet of the 1966 recording on the video clip fade, whether they're right or not.  It's not just hearing a voice that sounds like Bruce, or the drumming, both of which  may be duplicable.  It's the ambient sound of the recording that is jarring, that sounds like '66 Pet Sounds versus a 2007 remake recorded with modern technology.  One thing that is noticeable is that the fade that sounds like the old record is that it's dryer in terms of not having the heavy reverb that's present on the rest of the clip.   I'm not sure if that leads to imagining you're hearing a little bit of the old recording (when it actually is Scott or whoever) or whether you are actually hearing the old recording.  If it's part of the later remake, they do a great job of duplicating the old sound and vocals.  But the edit is jarring, in any case, because it doesn't really match what you hear earlier in the clip.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 09:29:02 PM by forget marie » Logged
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: October 28, 2008, 09:58:25 PM »

Here's a .zip file that contains two mp3s, just so you can compare the fadeout of the video and the 1966 version of GOK: same drums, same voice.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/nvn7vk

You can't believe that we (myself included) are still arguing about that video clip? Me neither.

But the fact that there still are people out there who say it isn't Bruce brings up a fascinating question: I can't help wondering what those people actually hear when they listen to the original version of GOK, or any other BB record for that matter. It amazes me that some people on this board seem to hear something totally different from what other people hear, yet they're all fans of the same music. To me, this question is genuinely interesting and frustrating at the same time, because I guess I'll never know the answer  Undecided

If this doesn't give it away, I don't know what will.

--
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1173 on: October 28, 2008, 10:37:51 PM »

Wow, Andrew deleted his account.

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: October 29, 2008, 01:22:11 PM »

Wow, Andrew deleted his account.

I don't get why. Clearly no one was calling anyone a liar. What is a message board for, if not debate?Should we be afraid to dispute anyone else, even our honored guests? Are we not all just fans at the end of the day?  Yes, everyone respects Andrew and Bruce, but both have been wrong in the past, and to Andrew's credit, he's the first to admit when he is. Maybe Bruce didn't know his voice was mixed into the video (if indeed it was). I'm probably going to incur someone's wrath for saying all this, but come on. I hope AGD decides to return. Obviously it was nice having him.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52 53 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx