gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 06:24:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Surf's Up 1966 Demo  (Read 3098 times)
ShenzhenLost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 16, 2007, 08:32:47 AM »

Hi guys and girls,

i'm wondering if the demo of 'surf's up' which appears on disc 2 of the 'good vibrations thirty years of the beach boys' box set can be found without vocals as well as vocals only?  does any such thing exist out there? 
can anyone provide me with any details about this? 
thanks for your help!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 08:36:32 AM »

In my experience*, no.

[* which will be proved wrong within the hour, usually]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 09:25:26 AM »

This isn't what you're asking for, but the BWPS Surf's Up track has appeared as an instrumental only version. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 02:43:50 PM »

That demo version was captured on multitrack, so the vocal and piano do exist in isolated form. I'm not sure if my memory is failing me or not, but I think there is a vocals-only version of the 1971 version floating around, which would at least provide you with Brian's isolated demo vocal for the second half of the song, with Carl's 1971 vocal for the first half.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Paul R.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 05:11:06 PM »

Using software one could nearly isolate the piano or vocals.
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 05:27:43 PM »

I think there is a vocals-only version of the 1971 version floating around, which would at least provide you with Brian's isolated demo vocal for the second half of the song, with Carl's 1971 vocal for the first half.

ya, it's on Get the Boot

someone must do this!

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
bruiteur
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 01:49:32 PM »

I think there is a vocals-only version of the 1971 version floating around, which would at least provide you with Brian's isolated demo vocal for the second half of the song, with Carl's 1971 vocal for the first half.

ya, it's on Get the Boot

someone must do this!

I have (and then some), but to say much more would probably get me into trouble.  E-mail me if you want to know more. Smiley

Now ask me how I (virtually) isolated Brian's original lead on Wonderful!
Paul R.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 04:54:42 PM »

How did you virtually isolate Brian's lead on Wonderful?

[Guess: you meticulously syched-up an out of phase version of the instrumental-only take w/ w an in-phase version w/ the vocal? And if you did, my hat's off to you!!]
bruiteur
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 10:46:22 AM »

How did you virtually isolate Brian's lead on Wonderful?

[Guess: you meticulously syched-up an out of phase version of the instrumental-only take w/ w an in-phase version w/ the vocal? And if you did, my hat's off to you!!]

Well, without giving away the store, I first had to spectrum match the acetate-derived instrumental you mention to the released safety copy with the lead vocal. Then synch up and phase cancel (which of course, in this instance is not perfect), and finally noise learn/cancel the remaining harpsichord chord by chord. When married to the 2004 instrumental it actually works amazingly well.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 01:09:13 PM »

I think that one of these days, there will be computer programs that can go through and do all that, infer stuff, create algorithms, etc, etc...and one will be able to isolate individual elements from any recording, with no artifacts.

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 01:06:29 AM »

Maybe in the future, albums (classic ones) will be reissued where we can isolate each track and view it like on a sequencer?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2007, 10:12:01 AM »

Yeah, well, the only reason I keep on living is in hopes that one day I can listen to Sunflower and Surf's Up 16-tracks to hear the isolated discrete tracks on them.  That's really all that gets me through the day.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 10:46:43 AM »

Yeah, well, the only reason I keep on living is in hopes that one day I can listen to Sunflower and Surf's Up 16-tracks to hear the isolated discrete tracks on them.  That's really all that gets me through the day.

Ditto. Well, also red wine and the suspense of whether JD Salinger will ever actually release "Hapworth 16, 1924" as the novel he promised a decade ago.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx