gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:33:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al cancelled for Europe  (Read 20032 times)
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2007, 08:02:27 PM »

I just wanted to add that I do feel bad for folks in Europe who went out of their way to arrange to see the Brian/Al show.  I was never a big fan of Al Jardine the person, mostly based on interviews he's done over the years.  I thought he was a bit arrogant and believed himself to be too large a figure in Beach Boys history.  After seeing him with Brian this past January in Oakland, I changed my opinion.  He's a wonderful figure in his own right; maybe not the best singer (though better than Brian at this point in their lives), but his vocals on songs such as "And Then I Kissed Her" and "California Saga" were a high point of the show.  Plus, he just seemed to bring out the best in Brian.  There was a palpable affection between the two men, very touching to see them together in their later years (the Beach Boys as Golden Boys).  It's sad people are going to miss out on that, as well as Brian and Al missing out on it.  I have to think this didn't happen due to a falling out.  I wish the best to both Bri and Al, and hope that Brian has many years of continued good health and a happy life.  If cutting back or stopping touring is the best way to facilitate that, then that decision needs to be made.  By someone.
MBE
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2007, 08:43:53 PM »

I think, given the opportunity, Mike and Brian would become a lot closer.  However, there are forces around the band that make it hard sometimes.

That was Carl Wilson's statement.

Carl was as always right on target. Mike and Brian nearly always look very happy together. I think the recent suits are misguided at best but on a personal AND creative level keeping them apart is sad.  Watch Stebbins Wouldn't It Be Nice doc for the truth about Brian and the Beach Boys post 1998
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2007, 08:59:50 PM »

Maybe after last night he does not feel Brian should still be touring and its a protest to his handlers. He has seen behind the scenes and perhaps he doesn't like it. Who knows.

Well, this point is something that definitely crossed my mind among the many possible explanations. As I mentioned, Al seemed to be a bit more deeply concerned right after Brian's incident than most of the rest of the band (I don't mean to say the rest of the band wasn't showing concern, I just think it's something they might be more used to, or perhaps since Al was closest to Brian when he had his episode, perhaps Al was able to see what happened more than some of the other band members.) If Al shows up at the Pasadena show, it would make it rather unlikely that he was protesting or anything of that sort.

I have to say, when Brian got up and told the audience that he had had a "fainting spell" and that he didn't know if he could continue the show, I actually felt really bad for Brian. This is just my take, but the look on his face and his demeanor as he said he didn't know if he could continue the show seemed to me to seem more like Brian was worried that he would be in trouble or would be disappointing the fans if he didn't finish the show, as opposed to being concerned about himself. As I said, this is just my take/guess. This more than anything is what made me strongly consider whether I should feel that perhaps they need to let Brian retire from touring (perhaps do the odd one-off show from time to time). First coming out in 1999 was an event in and of itself. Doing his first UK and European dates was an event. Doing "Pet Sounds" and "Smile" were events worthy of mounting full-blown tours. But now they are simply doing a greatest hits show, albeit with a slant towards a Brian-style setlist that, even as a "greatest hits" show, has a much more intersting setlist than the average Beach Boys show. Al and Brian together make a great show. I can even understand retreading "Pet Sounds" for a handfull of a shows for its 40th anniversary. I got to see the Oakland show on that tour, and that was great. But so far, the 2007 shows have basically been the 2004-2007 setlist, with "Smile" or "Pet Sounds" deleted and a few others thrown in. For Brian's sake, I don't know if anybody needs him to run himself ragged singing "Catch a Wave."

It's easier for me to contemplate the possibility of Brian retiring from touring after having seen him seven times since 1999, having seen both "Pet Sounds" and "Smile" twice, having seen Brian and Al on stage together twice (once singing "Pet Sounds" together).

I certainly hope that Brian and those around him do what's best for Brian, whether that means retiring or continuing touring.

I gotta say, I have days when I'm on top of the world and bad days as well.  I have no mental illness that I know of.  Brian Wilson does.  He had a bad day.  He felt dizzy, he sat down on the stage, he said he may not be able to finish the night, but did, and did very well from what I hear.  I really don't see the problem here.  Sounds like he just happened to have a little dizzy spell while he was on stage, and reacted like Brian reacts to things.  He has a certain personality, he's a little peculiar and he freaked out a little bit.  No need to put the man in mothballs because he did something goofy on stage!

Al probably seemed more concerned because the other band members have been touring with Brian for the past 6 or 7 years and likely see Brian do goofy stuff all the time.... plus Al strikes me as a bit of a softy (gotta love him).

I still say Brian has made it commmmpletely clear that if he doesn't want to do something, he won't do it.  If he didn't want to tour, he wouldn't be touring, simple as that.  His wife probably goads him into it, but there isn't a man alive who doesn't do something because his wife talks him into it.  Brian Wilson clearly needs prodding to do anything other than sleep.  Melinda loves him enough to make him actually do something with his life, god bless her. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2007, 09:12:08 PM »

OH, another thing I want to say.

Al Jardine has sued and slandered everybody IN the beach boys.  Sometimes he had good reason, sometimes he didn't. 

If Brian was being manipulated.... Al Jardine would tell us Brian was being manipulated.  You have GOT to believe that. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2007, 09:14:55 PM »

I've said it before and I'll say it again-- If she's going this maliciously, the only motivator would be money, and supposedly they're not making much money off this.

Brilliant observation, IMHO.  Brian Wilson is a  cash cow when it comes to royalties off Beach Boys songs he wrote, which requires no active participation from him.  If Melinda only wanted money she'd just let him do whatever he wanted and get the money from the royalties, selling 1500 tickets a show with a 10 piece band on the other side of the world isn't making anybody a fortune. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2007, 09:17:14 PM »

After that and a very unpleasant phone conversation with David Leaf I began to think these people around Brian aren't who they seem to be.

What happened, if I may ask?

Basically I wanted to interview him for a project I am actually still working on (I was in college then so it was only part time thus me finishing it now). Anyhow I told him that it was something that put the whole group's talent in perspective and he just got very nasty from that point in. Really hurt my feelings and almost made me give up what I was doing. I was younger then and had a much thinner skin, but he was just plain mean practically shouting at me. I was very respectful to him and was truly shocked by his behavior.

He Said He Said. 
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2007, 11:20:05 PM »

I think someone could prod Brian to remain active out of ego (reflected glory), not necessarily money.   Not that  that's the case, but I don't think putting it all in monetary terms explains everything.  I, too, have learned a couple of things about Brian behind the scenes.  It's not really that horrendous, I don't think even if it's true it's that necessarily harmful to Brian, and I'd rather not go into it.  But I think most of us love Brian for his artistry, and his artistry may be compromised if he's forced to do things he doesn't want to do (including singing "Sail On Sailor," if he really wasn't kidding about not liking singing it).  And to me, gentle, loving prodding can constitute force for someone as gentle and passive as Brian can be.  The pushing and pullling may be out of love on both sides, but hey, Brian is 65 years old!  It just is not the same as when he was even 55 years old.  He does not need to do anything.  He's an intelligent man, and if he wants to sit around and watch TV, I'm sure he will get something out of even that.  He has three young kids to play and hang out with at home.  If he's up and out of his bed every day, playing music, watching TV, going out to dinner and movies, seeing his friends, and doing other everyday things, then he is not harming himself.  That is a healthy retired life.  Travel is hell on  young people.  I know I hate getting on planes and dealing with airports when I do it sometimes for vacations.  It's tiring, and it can make your back and legs hurt, even if you are in good shape.  I'm not saying I know what the right answer is, but I don't agree with those who insist that Brian touring around or even recording is what he needs to be doing, otherwise he will suffer from bad mental health.   I know plenty of retired people of all ages who live productive lives without doing work, because there's way more to life than just working.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2007, 11:23:52 PM »

Amen.
(including singing "Sail On Sailor," if he really wasn't kidding about not liking singing it).
Really? When did he say that?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2007, 11:33:47 PM »

Amen.
(including singing "Sail On Sailor," if he really wasn't kidding about not liking singing it).
Really? When did he say that?

At the Saratoga show, before starting the song, Brian made a comment, I can't remember the exact wording, but it was something about how it wasn't his favorite song but he was going to sing it anyway. I don't remember saying he didn't like singing it. It was a funny, typical Brian type of comment. I think Al even commented about how he really liked the song, sort of humorously letting Brian know that the song was good.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
XY
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2007, 11:45:06 PM »

Here's my personal view why Al won't join Brian & band in Europe (I know, I probably shouldn't post this):
because Al didn't find the Brian he expected
because the ticket sales aren't too good
in the middle of the Brian/Al excitement his unfinished solo album went on preorder. That says it all for me.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2007, 01:52:13 AM »

I think, given the opportunity, Mike and Brian would become a lot closer.  However, there are forces around the band that make it hard sometimes.

That was Carl Wilson's statement.

Carl was as always right on target. Mike and Brian nearly always look very happy together. I think the recent suits are misguided at best but on a personal AND creative level keeping them apart is sad.  Watch Stebbins Wouldn't It Be Nice doc for the truth about Brian and the Beach Boys post 1998

True, Al stated in that doc. that he tried to call Brian but people around Brian (whom he called "my best friend") wouldn't let him.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2007, 02:10:45 AM »

Several things still just don't make sense still to me.

Al implies he wants to go to Europe with some new tunes. Brian's current setlist is a greatest hits show and IMO boring for any BB fan.  Surely a opportunity to flick some of those tunes for some new Al stuff with a Brian backing. Who cares about FFF or Barb Ann again. Give a unrealeased Al track anyday.

But no. We are told the reason is to finish a solo album that is now going to be given away to a large portion of the potential market. Now is this album a signed deal by a label requiring it to be in stores by a required date or is this going to be one of those available on Al's site or worse, looking for a deal like MIkes?

Upsetting your European audience now is not going to encourage them to book tickets in the future.

Just a thought. Reviews and fans have mentioned how good Al has been on stage with Brian. Any chance Brians handlers have thought he is too good?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 02:12:04 AM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2007, 02:30:08 AM »

Imagine this: Al comes back for the RFH shows in September, and the song performed to commemorate a "very important anniversary" is "Honkin' Down The Highway", from Love You (1977)...  Grin

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2007, 02:39:49 AM »

It's going to be something for 9-11. Now that will be a party pooper.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2007, 02:43:24 AM »

I find the recent statement in the Magic piece about Alan 'hoping to have the album out by the end of the year' somewhat undermines the sudden urgency surrounding the CD that requires him to withdraw from the Euopean tour.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2007, 03:00:30 AM »

Undecided

You know, all this speculation may bother some fans, but blame Brian's camp as well, whoever they were in 1976, 1988, 1998, 2004... They could have chosen to sell "Brian the musician", but the temptation was too strong and he's always been sold as "Brian the genius - now he's healed thanks to us - this time he's really back believe me - he's a hero given what he's been through".

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
MBE
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2007, 04:17:39 AM »

Undecided

You know, all this speculation may bother some fans, but blame Brian's camp as well, whoever they were in 1976, 1988, 1998, 2004... They could have chosen to sell "Brian the musician", but the temptation was too strong and he's always been sold as "Brian the genius - now he's healed thanks to us - this time he's really back believe me - he's a hero given what he's been through".

Live by the sword, die by the sword.
Amen
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2007, 04:22:40 AM »

Here's two ideas for the conspiracy theorists:

(1) Al is finally "getting back" at Brian by dropping out of a tour (the way Brian did to Al and the others back in late '64/early '65), and perhaps planned it this way all along

(2) Al has visa problems and CAN'T go to Europe (which explains why he played "Pet Sounds" shows with Brian in the STATES last November, but skipped the show at the Adelphi in London)...he hoped to have them straightened out in time for this trip, and held out until virtually the last minute, but finally had to give up and admit it wasn't going to happen.

Of course, I don't really believe either of these....  Smiley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2007, 06:03:19 AM »

(1) Al is finally "getting back" at Brian by dropping out of a tour (the way Brian did to Al and the others back in late '64/early '65), and perhaps planned it this way all along  Smiley

I assume you're joking, thus the smiley face, but...

I'm sure it was nice for Brian and Al to "reunite", like two old friends sharing some time together after many years apart. And, even though I haven't seen any shows with both of them, I'm sure Al made a good contribution to the live act, but...

I really don't think Brian cares (I'm not sure what word to use, maybe "prefers") who is standing next to him on stage, playing rhythm guitar and singing - whether it's Al Jardine, Matt Jardine, or Lady Lynda Jardine. 
DJF
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2007, 08:44:11 AM »

(1) Al is finally "getting back" at Brian by dropping out of a tour (the way Brian did to Al and the others back in late '64/early '65), and perhaps planned it this way all along

(2) Al has visa problems and CAN'T go to Europe (which explains why he played "Pet Sounds" shows with Brian in the STATES last November, but skipped the show at the Adelphi in London)...he hoped to have them straightened out in time for this trip, and held out until virtually the last minute, but finally had to give up and admit it wasn't going to happen.

Of course, I don't really believe either of these....  Smiley

Here's one I like:

Al - "You know, Brian, this has been fun but wouldn't be fun to get back together with Mike's band and tour as the Beach Boys?"

Brian " "Sure, Al, whatever you say"

Brain's Handlers - "oh, HELL no!"

Brian - "Uh, Al, maybe you should just go back and work on your album while I go to do the tour in Europ.  My wife and manager thinks that's a good idea"

LOL

Dave
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2007, 09:14:09 AM »

Quote from: c-man

That one is at least perfectly plausible, if someone is having problems getting his passport renewed, like many, many other U.S. citizens.

Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2007, 09:22:28 AM »

I hate getting involved in these discussions about conspiracies and plots every time something happens in the Beach Boy world that some fans don't like.  This whole thing about Jardine dropping out of the tour takes the cake.  When a perfectly reasonable explanation comes about why he can't tour is released, people dismiss it because it won't confirm their notions of the terrible things that Melinda or Leaf do to Brian, their evil plot to keep Brian away from the rest of the Beach Boys, and of course their forcing of Brian to work against his own will.  Never mind that not one person here has any idea of what goes on behind the scenes.  Here is a message that the person who wrote the article about why Jardine isn't touring left on the BB Board, I think it's pretty straight forward.

Re(2): That THAT makes sense.
Posted on June 14, 2007 at 02:11:09 PM by Howie Edelson

Hey Guys -

I wrote that piece and did the interview with Al. There's no secret agenda or anything other than he's busting his as* and really gaining steam on the LP. He sounds so pumped about this thing, it's incredible. He's taken a pretty hard slamming for backing off the tour. I feel bad for the guy. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. From what he described, the album is going to be exactly what we've always wanted from him.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2007, 10:52:46 AM by Mike » Logged
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2007, 09:41:53 AM »

I hate getting involved in these discussions about conspiracy's and plots every time something happens in the Beach Boy world that some fans don't like.  This whole thing about Jardine dropping out of the tour takes the cake.  When a perfectly reasonable explanation comes about why he can't tour is released, people dismiss it because it won't confirm their notions of the terrible things that Melinda or Leaf do to Brian, their evil plot to keep Brian away from the rest of the Beach Boys, and of course their forcing of Brian to work against his own will.  Never mind that not one person here has any idea of what goes on behind the scenes.  Here is a message that the person who wrote the article about why Jardine isn't touring left on the BB Board, I think it's pretty straight forward.

Re(2): That THAT makes sense.
Posted on June 14, 2007 at 02:11:09 PM by Howie Edelson

Hey Guys -

I wrote that piece and did the interview with Al. There's no secret agenda or anything other than he's busting his as* and really gaining steam on the LP. He sounds so pumped about this thing, it's incredible. He's taken a pretty hard slamming for backing off the tour. I feel bad for the guy. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. From what he described, the album is going to be exactly what we've always wanted from him.

Well, maybe Al sees this album as a way to consolidate his position with Brian, since Brian actually carried through with participating in it.  It's going to get more exposure and sales with Brian's involvement.  Plus, if Al does ever play with Brian again in the future, he will have new songs to do.  And Al can participate in Brian albums, and there can be a little Beach Boys renaissance.

I still think Brian has been overtouring, from the standpoint of his well-being and even his career.  After all, if he "retires" for a little while, assuming he's still healthy in a couple of years, he can then "come back," which might do really well for his ticket sales and prices. 
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2007, 09:54:53 AM »

I hate getting involved in these discussions about conspiracy's and plots every time something happens in the Beach Boy world that some fans don't like.  This whole thing about Jardine dropping out of the tour takes the cake.  When a perfectly reasonable explanation comes about why he can't tour is released, people dismiss it because it won't confirm their notions of the terrible things that Melinda or Leaf do to Brian, their evil plot to keep Brian away from the rest of the Beach Boys, and of course their forcing of Brian to work against his own will.  Never mind that not one person here has any idea of what goes on behind the scenes. 

Yes, yes, and yes. Thank you. I agree.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2007, 10:05:23 AM »

I find the recent statement in the Magic piece about Alan 'hoping to have the album out by the end of the year' somewhat undermines the sudden urgency surrounding the CD that requires him to withdraw from the Euopean tour.
Same here.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx