gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:41:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al cancelled for Europe  (Read 20035 times)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2007, 12:42:25 PM »

What the heck happened?? A big message on the Blueboard saying Al will not be joining Brian for his European tour because of his grueling recording sessions?? The damn album has been put off for 6 years, 1 month wouldn't kill it?? Brian wishes him well and will possibly work with him in the future??Something must have happened cause it does not sound good for them at all! Wonder if it has to do with Brian's accident??
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 12:44:21 PM »

Brian had an accident??

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 12:46:11 PM »

Brian had an accident??

"Al played and sang for the whole show....(maybe not the first song...can't remember). Brian scared us last night....during Sloop John B (50 minutes into the show), he got off his stool and laid down behind Al (to his right). Al says "Brian, what're you doing?"....Brian says, "I'm sorry ladies and gentlemen, I almost fainted, thought I was going to have a fainting spell.". So they take a 15-20 min intermission here (instead of later). They come back and BW's seems a little out of sorts. But by the 5th song, Heroes and Villains....he's singing STRONG! One of his best vocals of the evening. I was pretty spooked there for a while. Moved up front for Love and Mercy at the end (otherwise I was in Row Q). Not sold out although it holds about 1500? I thought that was sad....the man IS a musical genius."

http://www.smileysmile.net/index.php/brian_wilson_scare_at_mountain_winery

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 03:18:34 PM »

I think the announcement on the blueboard sounds almost as if Brian and Al won't work/tour together anymore in the near future... I hope I am wrong because with Al, Brian's shows got even better, and that was hard to top.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 06:08:17 PM »

The drama starts up again.

Brian lays down onstage, says he has a fainting spell.

Show stopped briefly.

The next day, Al is out.

Hmm.

Anyone taking bets on whether we'll see the European tour even happen?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 07:07:39 PM »

I see Al is down to play Pasadena tonight. We will see.
My thinking is he and Brain are ok but I don't think the ticket sales for Europe are what was hoped for by adding Al . I would suspect Al's fee would be better than the others onstage so they are cost-cutting. The setlist this week is just a greatest hits show and I would not be bothered.
This and the fact that Brian had a health concern last night point to Brians Europe and this small US tour will be his last. A poor response to the work in September will confirm it for me.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 07:12:33 PM »

Al is playing Pasadena now tonight?? He wasn't supposed to originally I thought. This whole thing has me confused entirely.  I thought maybe Al was concerned about Brian's health after last night.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 07:21:31 PM »

I was at the Saratoga show last night, and I'm glad most reports have correctly pointed out that Brian didn't faint on stage. He sat down behind Al, presumably to avoid fainting. That doesn't mean it wasn't a potentially serious situation. But I've already read a few reports elsewhere saying Brian fainted or collapsed on stage, reports not helped by Brian himself saying "I just had a fainting spell". But I don't think he actually fainted. He just sort of got up and then sat down on the stage behind Al. That's why after Brian did it, nobody immediately seemed too concerned. It's not as if he just fell over as you would envison somebody all of a sudden fainting.

Strangely, Brian seemed to look and sound fine both before and after the incident. He seemed to have a little less energy than average in the first half of the show (although he finished the show more energetically than I usually see him), but I've seen him look and sound worse at other shows from time to time than he looked or sounded at any time during last night's show.

They quickly took Brian away after the show, and his van passed right by me as I left and he had the winow rolled down and was, without prompting, thanking the fans for coming to the show. He looked fine. This is all relative of course. But given what he has looked and sounded like at shows since I saw him in 1999, he didn't seem any worse off other than the near-fainting incident.

I don't know how this incident may impact future shows, nor do I know if it has anything to do with the reports of Al not being on the European tour. I don't see how this incident would impact Al's participation in Europe. Al wasn't even supposed to be at the Saratoga show, it was a semi-surprise to begin with. We could all come up with a million hypothetical reasons why Al isn't on the European tour, but we don't know anything beyon the admittedly curious explanation that Al is too busy in the studio. I suppose that Al could have decided that since he really isn't getting to contribute a lot to the shows (he gets 2-3 lead vocals), perhaps he felt his time would be better spent finishing his album. If he really does finally finish the album, that *would* be great. But I can understand the disappointment of European fans.

I would tend to doubt that this indicates any sort of falling out between Al and Brian, and I can't see how Brian's condition during last night's show would cause any falling out. If anything, Al seemed to express more concern for Brian out of all of the band members. It was actually quite heartening to see Al show so much concern for Brian. Not that anybody and everybody didn't or wouldn't be concerned for Brian. But, knowing now that Brian appears to be okay, it was nice to see Al show some very personal concern for Brian.

I suppose a larger question, even if this particular incident isn't nearly as dramatic as it might sound, is whether Brian should continue touring so much, or at all. I have to admit that after the show, I was conflicted. I'm not sure whether I feel that they should just finally let Brian relax and retire from touring, or that I feel that Brian should be commended for bouncing back and putting on a good show.

I would still be surprised if the European tour is cancelled. However, I won't be surprised if we see very little Brian touring in the future apart from perhaps this European tour and the "Lucky Old Sun" shows in September. But we've already seen his touring tapering off anyway.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 07:35:55 PM »

Re Al at Pasadena. I stand corrected. Will see if he does appear now Europe is off. HJ makes a point that maybe Al thinks that with only 2-3 leads, his time would be better spent on his own album. He only did about that number with the Beach Boys so I do think its something else. Maybe after last night he does not feel Brian should still be touring and its a protest to his handlers. He has seen behind the scenes and perhaps he doesn't like it. Who knows.

edit...It's catching!

Beach Boys show in Dewey canceled
By RYAN CORMIER, The News Journal

Posted Tuesday, June 12, 2007 at 3:59 pm

Beach Boys

The Beach Boys aren’t coming to Dewey Beach after all.

The band’s July 1 show at the Baycenter has been cancelled due to “soft sales” of the $70 tickets, says Vikki Walls, booking agent for the show.

Fans who bought tickets through the venue’s tele-charge system have already been notified of the cancellation. They had not been charged for the tickets.

Tickets purchased through Ticketmaster will be automatically refunded, Walls says.
If you just have to get your fill of the Beach Boys this summer, don’t worry baby. The band plays the Borgata in Atlantic City, N.J., on June 30 and tickets ($55-$49.50) are still available.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 07:38:59 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 08:01:59 PM »

Maybe after last night he does not feel Brian should still be touring and its a protest to his handlers. He has seen behind the scenes and perhaps he doesn't like it. Who knows.

Well, this point is something that definitely crossed my mind among the many possible explanations. As I mentioned, Al seemed to be a bit more deeply concerned right after Brian's incident than most of the rest of the band (I don't mean to say the rest of the band wasn't showing concern, I just think it's something they might be more used to, or perhaps since Al was closest to Brian when he had his episode, perhaps Al was able to see what happened more than some of the other band members.) If Al shows up at the Pasadena show, it would make it rather unlikely that he was protesting or anything of that sort.

I have to say, when Brian got up and told the audience that he had had a "fainting spell" and that he didn't know if he could continue the show, I actually felt really bad for Brian. This is just my take, but the look on his face and his demeanor as he said he didn't know if he could continue the show seemed to me to seem more like Brian was worried that he would be in trouble or would be disappointing the fans if he didn't finish the show, as opposed to being concerned about himself. As I said, this is just my take/guess. This more than anything is what made me strongly consider whether I should feel that perhaps they need to let Brian retire from touring (perhaps do the odd one-off show from time to time). First coming out in 1999 was an event in and of itself. Doing his first UK and European dates was an event. Doing "Pet Sounds" and "Smile" were events worthy of mounting full-blown tours. But now they are simply doing a greatest hits show, albeit with a slant towards a Brian-style setlist that, even as a "greatest hits" show, has a much more intersting setlist than the average Beach Boys show. Al and Brian together make a great show. I can even understand retreading "Pet Sounds" for a handfull of a shows for its 40th anniversary. I got to see the Oakland show on that tour, and that was great. But so far, the 2007 shows have basically been the 2004-2007 setlist, with "Smile" or "Pet Sounds" deleted and a few others thrown in. For Brian's sake, I don't know if anybody needs him to run himself ragged singing "Catch a Wave."

It's easier for me to contemplate the possibility of Brian retiring from touring after having seen him seven times since 1999, having seen both "Pet Sounds" and "Smile" twice, having seen Brian and Al on stage together twice (once singing "Pet Sounds" together).

I certainly hope that Brian and those around him do what's best for Brian, whether that means retiring or continuing touring.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 08:02:55 PM »

I am a little disgusted myself tonight. Not sure what to think, I was so pleased as a fan to see Brian and Al appear to be doing so well and now this.  I feel like somethings not making sense here. Thats fine if Al didn't wanna go, but Brian wishes Al luck and maybe they will work together again. That doesn't sound too promising, but then you read Brian helped Al on the album. It just seems contradictory to me all over the place and very frustrating as a fan.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 08:35:15 PM »

From the Blueboard

UPDATE FROM AL ON EUROPEAN TOUR

(posted by trisha on June 12, 2007 at 7:50 pm)

Hello everyone. We wanted everyone to know what is happening regarding Al not finishing off the last leg of his touring with Brian.

UPDATE FROM AL ON EUROPEAN TOUR
After a very successful and enjoyable show in Monterey and Brian’s visit to my recording studio (on which he recorded vocals for four songs) we spoke about our upcoming European shows. After a lot of discussion Brian and I both felt that it was best for him to do those dates without my accompaniment. It wasn’t an easy decision for me to make. Brian is my dear friend and I truly regret that I can’t join him.

As a token of my appreciation to all of my fans I want to extend an exclusive offer to anyone who has purchased their tickets for the shows I was to attend. When my new CD, “Postcards From California” is released, you can send in your ticket stub to jardinetours@mac.om and I will be happy to send you a copy of my album at no charge.

Warmly,
Al Jardine
Big Sur, CA

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 08:48:17 PM »

Wow, thats pretty awesome of him to offer his cd. Smiley

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 08:56:44 PM »

Considering Al was the one sitting next to Brian when he had his plane breakdown in 1964, it makes sense if he does have some concern.  He's seen Brian at his worst, and maybe he doesn't ever want to see a hint of that again.  Brian is going to be 65 years old shortly, and it's not convincing anymore to say he needs to work to not be depressed or bored.  He's just getting too old with his history of mental and physical health problems to keep up any kind of travel and tour schedule.  Except for the one-off gig here and there, he really should relax.  Most of his fans have seen him more than once.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 09:09:52 PM »

While there were probably several reasons why Al joined Brian on tour, I always thought one major one was to SUPPORT Brian - on stage and maybe off.

I suppose it's none of our business, but when Al states, "Brian and I both felt that it was best for him to do those dates without my accompaniment", I wish he would've EXPLAINED WHY.

A sentence later, Al states, "It wasn't an easy decision for me to make." For ME to make? First, it was Brian and Al's decision, then, a sentence later, it becomes only Al's decision?

The more things change, the more they stay the same...
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 10:53:26 PM »

I think it's reasonable to believe that Al is hinting something a little odd is going on.  Al has always been very honest with his opinions about Brian and the other Beach Boys.  He just can't come out and say what's up with this, but he's not going to make people thinks it's normal.  The main problem is the lame explanation from Brian's management, that the only reason this happened is because Al is working on his album.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 11:34:02 PM »

I think Al is, to a degree, unfamiliar with the latter day Brian. He hasn't experienced much of the scene around BW for the last decade or so. And if you've seen or read anything about latter day Brian, it's that he does precious little on his own. He needs a push. Most of Brian's present band is comfortable with the "pushing." I think Al is probably less so.

For me, regardless of Al, I am most concerned about Brian in all of this. I really hope the fainting spell wasn't him protesting his lot. Because if it is -- well, I have a lot less sympathy for those around him.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 11:48:09 PM »

For me, regardless of Al, I am most concerned about Brian in all of this. I really hope the fainting spell wasn't him protesting his lot. Because if it is -- well, I have a lot less sympathy for those around him.

I think you're on to something. There's something rotten in the state of Denmark..

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 11:53:30 PM »

Most of his fans have seen him more than once.

Nope! :/

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2007, 12:04:58 AM »

I haven't either. My wife was going to go with me a 3 years ago, but miscarried earlier in the week.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2007, 12:15:43 AM »

Hmm...I wonder if Al leaving, Brian's episode, and the selling of all his homes are connected some how...

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2007, 12:36:10 AM »

One thing we can all agree on - Brian's people are maintaining their impeccable standards as regards management, timing and keeping the fans accurately informed.

Can you believe that there hasn't been one single mention of Brian's 'almost fainting' on his own message board from his own people ? Yet there's news of Alan's not touring Europe with him, which gives the distinct impression that his health is considered secondary to the business of touring.

I have a simple question - what the f*** is going on with Brian's "people" ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2007, 01:11:45 AM »

Ok I am going to come right out and say that I think the wife and biographer have turned into the people they once said were "abusing" Brian. Damn at least Murry, Mike, Carl , and the others cared about him before there was any money to be made. Landy was worse, and Brian does have great musicians with him, but even they seem to be "on leave" more and more often. I am tired of people not stating what is obvious. Does Brian have to die before certain people stop buying the party line? There are Beach Boys mags and message boards (not this one) that would have you believe Brian is cured, Melinda is wonderful, Leaf is a godsend. ENOUGH!!!! Brian is a unique and kind individual but as he has perminant damage on certain levels that allow others to take over his life. Perhaps he enjoys that in a perverse way but I feel strongly that he is not loved in the unconditional manner we all need. What he does in professinal life should be his call and if it's nothing then god bless him for 46 damn years of gracing all our lives with his wonderful music.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2007, 01:26:37 AM »

I for one have never bought the current 'party line', ever since it was first spun in the mid-90s. It'll be interesting to see how this latest fumble unravels.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2007, 01:46:31 AM »

AGD, I don't disagree with you at all. I would like to make one point, having witnessed the "incident": While the more broad question of whether Brian needs to or should continue touring is valid, I don't think the incident in Saratoga was in and of itself as dire of a situation as many may feel. Brian on stage is usually very forward and literal, his stage presence is such that he doesn't do much in terms of PR or things for show. In other words, most artists in his situation who may have felt faint or near fainting, probably wouldn't have blurted out "I don't know if I can finish the show" and just sat there staring forward and not knowing what to do. They probably would have kept it together enough to simply say they were going to take an intermission, or would have just stayed in their seat and called a band member over and whispered to them, etc. (99% of the audience wouldn't have known that an intermission wasn't planned if they hadn't been told so). I'm not trying to downplay what happened, and even if it was the most innocent of problems, if maybe Brian really just ate "a bad burrito"  like Foskett said, Brian's people should be making some sort of statement about it to the fans so fans understand that he is okay, if he is okay. While Brian's aging over the last 8 years or so may be a major factor, I think the fans collectively should be honest with themselves and say that the concerns that we all presently have about whether Brian should be touring are the same concerns that were valid in 1999, and even before then. I don't know if I'm prepared or in a knoweldgeable enough position to say whether Brian now should continue touring or not, but if we are to be honest, this same issue was and should have been thought about back in 1999 and earlier. In other words, if someone were to say defintively that Brian presently should no longer tour, I'd have a tough time buying an argument that he was in any significantly better shape to be touring in 1999, etc. 

One other comment to AGD: I noticed on the BB Britain board that you were referencing what I believe is this Saratoga show as not being able to sell out with only 1500 seats. Just a slightly correction or at least my take on it: I think it seats a bit more than 1500 (closer to 1800 perhaps), and as someone who was there, my totally on-site guesstimate as to the attendance would be that it was at least 90% full, perhaps a bit more. Only a small rear general admission bleacher section was noticeably missing ticket buyers as I could see it. It seemed pretty full considering Brian had just played the Bay Area on January 28th (at a show in Oakland that was seemingly near if not a full sellout), and this Saratoga show didn't get a lot of publicity since this was just a small four-show west coast mini-tour. The tickets for Saratoga went on sale maybe 10 weeks or so after he played Oakland, so I'm surprised tickets sold as well as they did.

But I agree with the main point you were making in your comment on the BB Britain board, which is that the novelty of Brian touring is wearing off and he is perhaps oversaturating certain markets. I would reiterate what I said earlier: Brian doesn't need to burn himself out singing "Catch a Wave."
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 01:54:09 AM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx