gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 11:48:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Most brilliant Brian song?  (Read 4839 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2007, 09:22:15 AM »

What stands out to you as the most brilliant piece of music Brian ever wrote?

For me, it's probably "Mrs. O'Leary's Cow", especially the BWPS version.  I mean, he set out to make a musical representation of a fire, and damned if he didn't!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 10:47:46 AM »

Cabinessence
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:50:56 AM »

Mona....maybe Surf's Up
MBE
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 12:19:13 PM »

Hard to pick one but Break Away
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 12:32:29 PM »

God Only Knows

only song I can leave on repeat for more than an hour...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 12:48:16 PM »

I gotta go with "Cabinessence"...sheer brilliance.

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 01:01:33 PM »

Impossible for me to choose without going through my possible moods, how to define brilliance, etc. But since NOBODY (myself included) wants to read me BS my way throug that, I'll just give a few, with different reasons for each:

Cabinessence and Surf's Up for their success as progressive, nearly impossible to categorize nature as pop songs (and amazing performances in the former)
God Only Knows, Wind Chimes and Wonderful for their sheer beauty
Help Me, Rhonda and I Get Around for being phenomenal, nearly perfect pop-rock singles
Sloop John B - that arrangement!

On any given day, I'd probably say one of those. Or maybe something else. I'm no man of conviction.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 02:10:23 PM »

Impossible for me to choose without going through my possible moods, how to define brilliance, etc. But since NOBODY (myself included) wants to read me BS my way throug that, I'll just give a few, with different reasons for each:

Cabinessence and Surf's Up for their success as progressive, nearly impossible to categorize nature as pop songs (and amazing performances in the former)
God Only Knows, Wind Chimes and Wonderful for their sheer beauty
Help Me, Rhonda and I Get Around for being phenomenal, nearly perfect pop-rock singles
Sloop John B - that arrangement!

On any given day, I'd probably say one of those. Or maybe something else. I'm no man of conviction.

I feel the same way. Brilliant is a weird adjective. All of the above songs generally fit the bill, but I would add Good Vibrations and, uhhhhh, maybe Solar System...(!!)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 03:20:46 PM »

I think my most brilliant Brian song would have to be a toss up between either Surf's Up or A Day In The Life Of A Tree. I just wish there was a version out there with Brian singing it all the way through instead of Jack Reiley (tho' I think his vocals are appropriate for the song).
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 06:48:46 PM »

Most brilliant covers a lot of ground - most brilliant arrangement (Wouldn't It Be Nice followed by God Only Knows)?  Most brilliant melody (Don't Worry Baby, Good Vibrations)?  Most innovative song structure (Good Vibrations, Cabinessence)? Most brilliant vocal arrangement (This Whole World)?  You can go on and on . . . most brilliant rocker . . . Darlin', Dance Dance Dance . . . 
MBE
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 08:32:45 PM »

Most brilliant covers a lot of ground - most brilliant arrangement (Wouldn't It Be Nice followed by God Only Knows)?  Most brilliant melody (Don't Worry Baby, Good Vibrations)?  Most innovative song structure (Good Vibrations, Cabinessence)? Most brilliant vocal arrangement (This Whole World)?  You can go on and on . . . most brilliant rocker . . . Darlin', Dance Dance Dance . . . 
Bicyclerider you have to pick Do You Dig Worms. Your name comes from there Grin
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 06:05:11 AM »

"Good Vibrations" for the studio trickery, I'd say that's the most brilliant song he ever did, and also will be his most notable contribution to the history of music.  When people look back many years from now they'll point at that song as genius. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 06:40:43 AM »

I'd say GV...But then you have Surf's up, Cabinessence, Don't worry baby. Really are to many to pick.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 11:36:13 AM »

Listen to the track for "Cabin Essence", and know the answer.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
melissalynn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 11:44:41 AM »

Cabinessence, hands down.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 11:57:18 AM »

Listen to the track for "Cabin Essence", and know the answer.

The answer that you would give us if asked for your opinion on this question? Oh ok, cool.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
No. Fourteen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 12:31:18 PM »

Listening to that Cabinessence backing track the other day reminded me.......that thing is spine-tinglingly brilliant!  Haunting, in a way.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 01:10:22 PM »

Give me 'Mt Vernon and Fairway'

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 01:10:44 PM »

.....no votes for Ding Dang?
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 04:37:40 PM »

It's true that after all is said and done, almost all will look back and point to Good Vibrations as verification of the man's genius. Unorthodox editing techniques, great production, nice groove, in exactly the right place at the right minute, and sold millions.
    But in my view, GV was just a warm up for the majesty that was to become Cabinessence. Beautiful lilting melody, strange chords, exotic arrangement...then BOOM..the entire universe seems to resonate with this "Iron Horse" theme..swirling layered harmonies, cellos under attack, then like low tide, it moves out again, and becomes calm, only to revisit this sound and fury a 2nd time, waves of vocals counteracting. Every section speaking to the other, every instrument within every section so vital, no matter how insignificant, to the point where, if even one was removed, it would destroy the balance of the whole 'feel'. Add in the "Grand Coulee Dam" section, and the 'over and over' coda, and I sit in amazement that so much ground can be covered in only 3 and a half minutes. Smart lyrics, unforgettable arrangement, beautiful vocals. It is as close to perfection as a producer can get in a studio setting. The entire song will always make the hair stand up on the back of my neck for the rest of my life. It is, in short, a pop masterpiece.
   It is the brightest of the 3 true gems on Smile, and while Good Vibrations will always represent the very best of what the 60's can offer, Cabinessence feels absolutely   timeless.

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 05:23:19 PM »

It's true that after all is said and done, almost all will look back and point to Good Vibrations as verification of the man's genius. Unorthodox editing techniques, great production, nice groove, in exactly the right place at the right minute, and sold millions.
    But in my view, GV was just a warm up for the majesty that was to become Cabinessence. Beautiful lilting melody, strange chords, exotic arrangement...then BOOM..the entire universe seems to resonate with this "Iron Horse" theme..swirling layered harmonies, cellos under attack, then like low tide, it moves out again, and becomes calm, only to revisit this sound and fury a 2nd time, waves of vocals counteracting. Every section speaking to the other, every instrument within every section so vital, no matter how insignificant, to the point where, if even one was removed, it would destroy the balance of the whole 'feel'. Add in the "Grand Coulee Dam" section, and the 'over and over' coda, and I sit in amazement that so much ground can be covered in only 3 and a half minutes. Smart lyrics, unforgettable arrangement, beautiful vocals. It is as close to perfection as a producer can get in a studio setting. The entire song will always make the hair stand up on the back of my neck for the rest of my life. It is, in short, a pop masterpiece.
   It is the brightest of the 3 true gems on Smile, and while Good Vibrations will always represent the very best of what the 60's can offer, Cabinessence feels absolutely   timeless.

What are the three true gems?
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 05:38:07 PM »

My guess, from what people have been saying in this thread, Good Vibrations, Cabin Essence, and Surf's Up.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 06:49:41 PM »

Wonderful, Wind Chimes, Heroes also belong there I would think. All of BWPS!!
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 07:21:29 PM »

..Cabinessence, Good Vibrations, and Surf's Up are the rare stones. The rest of Smile is the beautiful diamond  setting, to use a jewel analogy...in my humble opinion

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 07:30:30 PM »

I think that--considering their 60s incarnations--Prayer, H&V, GV, Cabinessence, Wonderful (the Smile version, not Smiley Smile), Wind Chimes (ditto) and Surf's Up (despite it being a Brian demo) are all absolute, true gems. Each one is sublime.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx