gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:53:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Origins of Brians '80s' voice  (Read 13018 times)
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2006, 04:18:02 PM »

No, he's always talked out of the side of his mouth. Watch early footage of the group, specifically on the AMERICAN BAND dvd, he's always favored one side.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2006, 04:39:32 PM »

The main one is the Ready Steady Go clip from 64. Just add slurring and you've got "post-stroke" Brian right there.
And, BTW, Jeff Bridges has got the exact same side-of-the-mouth, heavy-tongued, slurring trip. That's one of the reasons everyone says he's such a perfect choice to play Brian. HE'S never had any kind of stroke. What's the explanation for that?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2006, 04:44:28 PM »

Watch Brian from their '64 appearance on Bandstand!  For further proof!
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2006, 09:56:16 PM »

I read/saw/heard (don't recall which) somewhere LONG time ago that Brian has stated that he talks out of the side of his mouth so he can hear himself with his 'good ear.'

Brian DID NOT HAVE A STROKE!
According to his auto-b!ography- his maid gave him strokes.  Grin
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2006, 10:43:34 PM »

You know what's sad?  He'll never ever get the chance to experience the beauty of his own music in stereo.  "Pet Sounds" is *nothing* unless it's in stereo.  (Debatable yes, but I hate the mono versions.)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2006, 12:28:28 AM »

You know what's sad?  He'll never ever get the chance to experience the beauty of his own music in stereo.  "Pet Sounds" is *nothing* unless it's in stereo.  (Debatable yes, but I hate the mono versions.)

What the FODA!

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2006, 03:07:13 AM »

And Citizen Kane is nothing until it will be colored.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2006, 04:21:48 AM »

And the 1942 version of the Gold Rush is superior to the 1925 version because it has a soundtrack.   Huh
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2006, 05:49:31 AM »

And the Great Sphinx needs a new hat
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2006, 11:23:35 AM »

Sorry to restart this thread, but...

1) I can't stand it when people compare stereo-izing Pet Sounds to colorizing Citizen Kane. The fact is that a stereo mix was possible, the multitracks existed for it to happen, etc. A stereo mix of Pet Sounds is not artificial.  A color version of Citizen Kane IS artificial, though, as they'd be adding color to a black'n'white film.

2) Going back to the Brian-talking-out-of-the-side-of-his-mouth thing...yes, he definitely did that as early as 1964, if not earlier, but...watch Audree in IJWMFTT -- SHE did it too! And Carnie did/does that as well, although not quite as noticeably. Must be a Korthof thing, no?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2006, 11:57:31 AM »

I read/saw/heard (don't recall which) somewhere LONG time ago that Brian has stated that he talks out of the side of his mouth so he can hear himself with his 'good ear.'

It makes sense. Try talking out of one side of your mouth. You can definitely hear it better in the ear on that side.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2006, 07:44:02 PM »

I've lost a good deal of hearing in my left ear, and my wife pointed out that I've been doing that for at least the past 3 years.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2006, 08:12:08 AM »

Ok here is a story for you all that I can't verify. I heard the when Brian had plastic surgery in the 80s to fix his shattered check bone ("his" book mentions the surgery briefly) he nearly died on the table. This source told me he had a mild stoke. Now he could full well sing, talk, walk after a mild stroke but I do see a difference. I don't know if this story is even true but according to the person who told me this, Landy covered it up. The first time I notice Brian slurring is a 1986 USA Network doc on Paul McCartney. In 1990 I have a clip of him on ET where he doesn't slur much but every other film I have seen since 86 has the slur. The press conference after Dennis died and the "I have been up down" quote from AB doesn't have the slur.  Now it doesn't matter if he did or not really but if Landy did cover it up did he lie to Brian too? As far as his voice I first hear the 80s voice in 1983 when Brian sings It's Just a Matter of Time in AB. In my opinion he improved a little by the mid 90s, but 1998-9 was when he really sounded smoother. He doesn't sing much falsetto anymore because let's face it Getcha Back is the last time he did it well. He did try to do more falsetto in the late 80s early 90s but to me I felt sorry for him when he did. I think he sings in the range he does now because he sounds pretty good in it. Yeah he has good and bad nights but I am not embarrassed for him (at least vocally) on anything he cut the last ten years and that includes the concerts I have seen or heard.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2006, 08:48:03 AM »

Also his speaking voice in the early 80's is very different, check out the interview thingy on the Cocaine sessions where the fans were taping him, he's like a different man, and thats 82/83ish.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2006, 11:29:55 AM »

Yeah, Brian’s side talking is clearly an attempt to hear himself better. He did that right from the start.

What’s always confused me is that not only did his singing voice change but his speaking voice as well. Listen to him saying “Hi Rog” in ’65 or whatever, and he has a high, soft voice. Heck, even when he was talking in ’74 on the “Rock Reflections” show he sounded like the Brian of old. Then listen to the growling of the late 70’s and beyond. And if the Rolling Up To Heaven cut is really from 74, that further illustrates that he sounded like the old Brian. So the only year unaccounted for is 75. So sometime in 75 his voice totally changed in all ways. Intentional? Maybe. Maybe he wanted to sound more manly. But then his high voice seemed to leave him entirely, and when he tried to use it (see 81 tour “Don’t Worry Baby” he had absolutely no control of it and couldn’t sing on key.

So, I feel that either his ear worsened around this period, or he intentionally tried to change his voice…..or, and I’m sure this hypothesis has absolutely no scientific merit….Brian went through a delayed puberty in 1975 and his voice finally changed. It was like that episode of the Simpsons when Grandpa thought back to Homer singing so beautifully in the choir, and then mid-song his voice changed. It’s night and day, just like that.

Brian says he never had a stroke. And it seems like Landy and his group of maniacs would have been able to detect such a thing, considering the amount of analysis they had him under.  The slurring was probably caused by the overmedication of Landy. In an attempt to block psychotic emotions it probably zapped him of a lot of energy, so he spoke like he was half asleep most of the time. There are even reports of him passing out during interviews.

Anyway, Brian’s doing a lot better now, and hopefully he’ll continue to get better and better as time goes on.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2006, 01:54:01 PM »

Brian and Melinda are both on record saying that Brian has never had a stroke, mild or otherwise. 

Audree and Carnie likely idolize (d) Brian and may have imitated subconsciously his sidewards talking thing when they speak about him or to him.  I find myself imitating people sometimes when I'm talking to them. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2006, 02:02:10 PM »

I think Brian's "sideways" talking is partly genetic, as Audree appears to have done the same thing, albeit not as markedly pronounced. Also, Brian's face is not symmetrical lengthwise. This isn't unusual -- lots of people have assymetrical faces.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2006, 03:09:49 PM »

Brian's voice has changed so much over the years, from the early pure unsoiled 61-65 time. His voice did start to develop and "edge" to it when he started smoking pot (as all smoking, pot or no, will due to a voice). Listen to him sing on the live version on GV on the new GV cd (which is also on the Hawthorne CD).  His voice is whiney due to (by his own addmission) smoking alot of pot on a daily basis.

His voice became shrill as the 60's became the '70s. Brian at time seemed to be singing his falsetto in an almost humorous way (listen to the vox only Forever). It doesn't sound like the "Don't Worry Baby" voice.

Then smoking and coke took their toll on his voice. Some people close to Brian during that time said that he wanted to sound like Dennis sounded and get away from that chior boy sound. He thought Dennis sounded like a man should sound.

Brian in the early 80s could be hard to take. Why oh why did the group let him sing "Don't Worry Baby in 1981 in concert. He never ever pulled it off. I saw him do it numerous times that year and never successfully. He even sang WIBN a few times and that almost had me in tears.

After weaning him off drugs and smoke, Landy pushed Brian to sing in a more powerful, in-your-face sound. Listen to Rock And Roll To The Rescue. When I first heard that track, I didn't know who was singing lead. Brian had never sounded like that (not even on Male Ego).

Then came the solo LPs, Brian started smoking again in the early 90s and we have the Don Was - Van Dyke projects where Brian sounds more gruff. The he stopped smoking in '96 and I think his voice sounds about the best it's sounded in a long time. He sounded great on Imagination (which I still play ALOT!!!!). On GIOMH he sounds great .

Bob Flory

« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 03:22:03 PM by petsite » Logged
MBE
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2006, 05:07:38 PM »

From 66-74 I think Brian still sounded great. It was a little deeper but I think it was more because he was in his late 20 early 30s. The type of material he was writing wasn't quite as "pure". Meaning there were harder edges in the songs themselves. John Lennons voice didn't change dramatically the day he started pot. Neither did Brian's. I do agree though that since 1998 Brian sounds better then anywhere else after MIU
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2006, 05:28:47 PM »

I noticed the shouting, deeper Brian vocals when he re-emerged with Landy in 1983-84. I believed this was due to two things.

I think Brian realized that it was futile to try to sing like his former self and just kinda resigned himself to this new stlyle. It certainly was easier.

I also remember reading that Brian was receiving voice lessons from a vocal coach (Michael Jackson's? - I'm not kidding), which would explain those confident, projecting - I'm sorry, but to me it's yelling - vocals.

This doesn't explain why Brian doesn't sing very often in a softer, expressive tone. I wish he would try it more. I prefer it when he tones it down like on "Lay Down Burden", "The First time", and "A Friend Like You".

As far as the stroke is concerned, it wouldn't take long to find out. A brain scan (CT scan) would be a good start.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2006, 06:27:46 PM »

Remember...just because Brian and (more to the point) Melinda and Leaf deny it, doesn't mean it's not true.

BTW...MBE...when Brian allegedly had his stroke, what year was it?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2006, 07:23:48 PM »

Yeah... you're right.  That must be it.  He may be slightly retarded, too.. retarded people sometimes do weird things. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2006, 08:12:32 PM »

Brian's not "retarded"; just brain-damaged from all the drugs.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2006, 08:23:06 PM »

just brain-damaged from all the drugs.

After decades of obsessing over it, that is what I believe also - both prescription AND non-prescription. More than a stroke, even more than mental illness.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2006, 08:36:18 PM »

...especially the prescription drugs, which I personally feel did far more damage than the illegal drugs.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx