gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:28:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Underated albums  (Read 20213 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2006, 12:58:18 PM »

I think it's perfect album as is, and I think Easy Ride is one of the poppiest tracks on the album. Who Scared You and alternate mixes and takes would be welcomed on a deluxe edition though.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Lester Byrd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2006, 04:01:31 PM »

Michael Nesmith - And the Hits Just Keep On Coming Blows away most of the seventies sensitive singer-songwriter stuff that actually sold. (Not underestimated around these parts, of course.)

Shane MacGowan - The Snake Shane rouses himself from his drunken stupor long enough to remind us that he is one of the finest songwriters of his generation. Most editions also include a version of the stunning "Haunted" (not as good as the Sid and Nancy version, though).

The Kit Kats - It's Just a Matter of Time 1967 album from the amazing Philadelphia baroque rock/sunshine pop/doo wop band. Virtually unknown outside the Philly tri-state area.
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2006, 04:21:04 PM »

Michael Nesmith - And the Hits Just Keep On Coming Blows away most of the seventies sensitive singer-songwriter stuff that actually sold. (Not underestimated around these parts, of course.)

I was about to say (and am stil going to in fact) 'Pretty Much YOur Standard Ranch Stash' by Mike Nesmith - but I agree heartily about 'And the hits...' Both are now available in the UK on the same CD which is rather wonderful.

Also agree with the above comment about Fred Neil. Incredibly obscure and underrated. Despite the fact that it was a Fred Neil song that got me into Tim Buckley (Dolphins on OGWT), I didn't follow that up for over 25 years in seeking out more stuff by him. If you like Tim Buckley, go straight away and listen to some Fred Neil, and Bleeker and McDougal is a good place to start.

And finally RICHARD THOMPSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't anyone realise that this man is the greatest guitarist on the planet, a great song-writer and has made more good albums than almost anyone who started off in the 60's - he's certainly the only one still making really good albums almost every year. Rumour and Sigh is my favourite of his from recent times, but they are all good.
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2006, 04:33:01 PM »

How about any of the first three Mothers of Invention albums ("Freak Out", "Absolutely Free" and "We're Only in It for the Money")

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2006, 04:37:04 PM »

Money and Freak, not remotely underrated. Everyone knows those are great and they frequently show up in Best Of lists, including Rolling Stone's. Free, I'd say so.

analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2006, 04:39:38 PM »

Money and Freak, not remotely underrated. Everyone knows those are great and they frequently show up in Best Of lists, including Rolling Stone's. Free, I'd say so.

Just because the critics know it doesn't mean the general public does.  Hell, Frank Zappa in and of himself will never get his due from the public.  It's incredible to me how many people know his name and have never heard his music.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2006, 04:46:58 PM »

Yeah, but you could say the same of Brian Wilson. The general public has never, does not, and will never know merda. Foda em.
The true believers, like you and me and the other folks on this board, know the deal.
Especially Charles LePage. Let's hear it for Charles.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 04:49:04 PM by Ian, Cpt. Howdy » Logged

sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2006, 07:21:32 PM »

Sgt Peppers - underated, you really think so... Its good but it aint nearly as good as revolver.. I just hear ppl singing the praise of Peppers all day long, sh*t it is considered the greastest rock album ever, I just think  that it is really bland in comparison to the hard rocking revolver....... but that is just me

xoxoxoxoo
suga
Lester Byrd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2006, 09:08:16 PM »

And finally RICHARD THOMPSON!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't anyone realise that this man is the greatest guitarist on the planet, a great song-writer and has made more good albums than almost anyone who started off in the 60's - he's certainly the only one still making really good albums almost every year.

Yes, yes, yes... I agree on every point! How could I forget RT?

I saw him live again a few months ago, and he's still the greatest guitarist on the planet.
koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2006, 01:38:06 AM »

you bet sgt pepper is underrated!
everyone in the know "knows" that revolver, rubber soul and the white album are better.
its even reflected in top 100 albums list nowadays too.
where you used to get sgt peppers near the top, not anymore.

i just think it stands up the best as an album, rather than as a collection of songs.
revolver's individual songs are better, i think.
take any individual song off sgt pepper and it sounds a little lame.
but thats why its a good album - it only works as an album, it doesnt work in terms of individual songs.

i think sgt comes in for more criticism than praise nowadays.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2006, 06:19:30 AM »

you bet sgt pepper is underrated!
everyone in the know "knows" that revolver, rubber soul and the white album are better.
its even reflected in top 100 albums list nowadays too.
where you used to get sgt peppers near the top, not anymore.

Except in Rolling Stone's current Top 100 were it's Number 1 just like it was back in their Top 100 back in the late 1970s.  Otherwise, I agree - it's fashionable to diss Sgt Pepper these days in favour of Revolver (or Rubber Soul, White Album or Abbey Road). 

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2006, 06:44:41 AM »

Symphony or Damn by Terence Trent D'Arby is underrated

D'Arby came to my mind, too. I've only heard the first two albums, the first is excellent, the second pretty good. He looked like he was going to have a pretty significant impact on the decade, but then he kind of just faded away.
And I'll add my voice to the chorus for Goat's Head Soup. Where's the problem there? First time I heard it, I thought, "I must be missing something, this is really good."
Chance,
you really should check out Symphony or Damn ...it's kinda like his Sign O the times.....and  easily his best album !!
Lester Byrd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »

The idea that anything concerning the Beatles is underrated seems kind of silly.

Except Ringo's drumming, of course.
dude ll doo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2006, 02:35:06 PM »

Given the fact that Something/Anything?  is so universally adored, its predecessor" Runt-The ballad of Todd Rundgren" is almost never mentioned -maybe not under rated, but certainly under valued. Some days when i listen to it,  it blows "Something/Anything? " away.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 02:39:00 PM by dude ll doo » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2006, 04:40:04 PM »

I feel even stronger that A Wizard/A True Star is Todd's SMiLE. And the Todd double is incredible too.

dude ll doo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2006, 04:59:01 PM »

yes, and yes.
jdavolt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2006, 06:24:24 PM »

And one gets a realing strong record from Side One of 'Initiation' plus Side Two of 'Faithful'...but the real under-rated/under-valued TR LP is 'Healing'...

I will sue this blog and the owner
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2006, 07:31:55 PM »

Underated Part 3:

Yes - Tales From The Topographic Oceans.

Now, I know I might catch hell for that one, but it's got some very strong colorful musical moments.  Sure the lyrics are religious-based in a trippy sense, but I really don't pay attention to them.   Musically, it's very strong considering it's length.

Feh.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2006, 06:05:12 AM »

Brian Wilson
Imagination
What I Really Want For Christmas

Syd Barrett
Barrett

Elvis
From Elvis Presley Boulevard

Beatles
Magical Mystery Tour

Frank Sinatra
Francis Albert Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim

dude ll doo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2006, 08:18:33 AM »

Ahhh some love for "Tales"   THANK YOU CTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love Relayer , too. I put "Gates Of Delirium" right up there with their best work.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2006, 09:29:31 AM »

that Sinatra and jobim album is very underrated  !!!..it's a GREAT album.
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2006, 03:41:54 PM »

Ohh I love Syd Barrett....... Anybody seen the 12 min movie of him taking mushies?

xoxoxo
suga

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2006, 04:11:14 PM »

Yep, I used to project that on the wall in this psych-jam band I used to have.

sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2006, 09:44:40 PM »

marcy playground /marcy playground way underated

poppies

xoxoxo
suga
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2006, 08:51:58 AM »

that Sinatra and jobim album is very underrated  !!!..it's a GREAT album.

Yeah, it is!!  I can safely say with all the confidence in the world that it is my favorite.   That's a tough thing to do...but I'm sure...I love it.  It's THE album for me.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx