gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:12:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Poll :: Rate Ten Years Of Harmony
5 - 16 (34.8%)
4 - 18 (39.1%)
3 - 12 (26.1%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ten Years Of Harmony  (Read 29718 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 23, 2005, 08:56:18 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Ten Years Of Harmony, released November 1981.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 03:12:37 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 10:32:32 AM »

Decent overview of the Reprise/Caribou years. Fills in all the holes, and even has some surprises. Sea Cruise can be dealt with under pressure.
st2580smile
Smiley Smile Associate

It is such a fine line between clever and stupid

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005, 04:41:06 PM »

The only 70's version of "Surf's Up" without the background noise at the end.
Even the 1st "remastered" Caribou CD had the background stuff. I wrote Caribou
a nasty note and complained about the CD price and took it back (what an idiot!).

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 12:57:00 PM »

Some of the songs selected are far from ' best of'.  Pity, because some of the others are amongst the best in the business.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 09:03:33 AM »

At the time, it introduced me to a lot of stuff I was unfamiliar with- Beautiful Day is great. Sea Cruise- needs a mess of help to stand alone.
JoeP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 03:18:28 PM »

A decent overview, but so many gems are not included.  A remastered and expanded (to fill up both discs un-like the LP era time limit) could make a rerelease a great buy
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 06:44:27 PM »

I just scored a UK copy on CD for only $4 (if you can believe that!).  I can confirm AGD's notes (as if I needed to) for the US collectors -- the single versions of the key songs are on the UK CD, as opposed to the US CD which used the album versions.

AGD, what label was this?  I can't see it on the CD label clearly.  Was it another graphic for Caribou?  And is it just me or was this a cheap attempt to get the original notes into the book?  Still nice to have this version around.  Now I just need the UK version of Summer In Paradise (though I won't be looking all THAT hard....).
Jason
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 06:46:49 PM »

Now I just need the UK version of Summer In Paradise (though I won't be looking all THAT hard....).

Look a bit hard, it's a lot better than the American version.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 07:02:04 PM »

That's not saying much.  The only reason I would care is I love Roger McGuinn.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 07:14:00 PM »

I just have to say -- River Song is a work of genius.  Can't live without it, I think.
beachboyphil
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 02:49:03 PM »

worth it aswell for the gatefold sleeve photo,
MBE
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 04:43:06 AM »

Good comp on vinyl that had the 45 mixes. Criminally short on Dennis' stuff. Not one comp gives him enough space.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 12:42:28 AM »

Good comp on vinyl that had the 45 mixes. Criminally short on Dennis' stuff. Not one comp gives him enough space.

I agree. He is without doubt the most under-rated member of the band. I like this collection (I own the UK version on CD) because it has the different mix of Come Go With Me etc.. as well as the only place that I own River Song on Cd (though I do have POB on vinyl) Its A Beautiful Day is fantastic aswell and Sea Cruise isnt great but still nice to have.
MBE
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 01:09:23 AM »

I mean when I read an interview with Brad Elliot when they did the Brother Years best of I wanted to hit him when he said Dennis stuff wasn't commerical enough to include. Without his stuff the so called Brother Years would not have been half as interesting.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 02:57:58 PM »

i got this on vinyl a little while ago, it's cool to hear san miguel on vinyl

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Music Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 05:12:23 PM »

I've got the vinyl too. It's a well done summation of the 70's period with a good balance of singles, album cuts and rarities.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »

Odd that the one Dennis song included is from POB, instead of the many great tracks he did with the group. Certainly they could've dumped She's Got Rhythm or Woncha Come Out Tonight in favor of Slip On Through, Cuddle Up, or Forever.
Banana
Smiley Smile Associate

Mike Love, Not War!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2012, 08:22:27 AM »

I mean when I read an interview with Brad Elliot when they did the Brother Years best of I wanted to hit him when he said Dennis stuff wasn't commerical enough to include. Without his stuff the so called Brother Years would not have been half as interesting.

Amen, brother!  Dennis still doesn't get the respect he deserves as a performer and songwriter.  It's almost criminal in how his work has been neglected.  I've heard several times that there is a lot of his songs in the can that have never seen the light of day.  My biggest hope is that we get to hear Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again sometime soon!  I've only heard the great cover but to believe that various parties cut that track and 4th of July off of Surf's Up is criminal.  There had to be so much jealousy leveled towards Dennis as he developed.  The story of the band giving him an ultimatum of quiting his solo career or quiting the group is really sad (and sadly typical of the history of the group).

"You wanna have the '409' sound, right?  On 'Help Me, Rhonda'?"

"Honkin' down the gosh-darned highway..."

"Cried so hard...teardrops on my bed...COME ON MUTHAF*****S!"
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2012, 09:33:25 AM »

This Comp was also my introdution to It's a Beautiful Day, Sea Cruise, She's Got Rhythm, River Song and some of the other Caribou era tunes.

For the life of me, I canNOT understand how It's a Beautiful Day failed to get to #1.  God what a great tune!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 09:48:40 AM »

and... continuing on

This was a great comp for me at the time, learning about the Boys' Caribou/Brother years.

The live version of Darlin' is just DY-NO-MITE!  Jaw drops, rolls down the hall.

The Trader, Don't Go Near the Water, Feel Flows, Long Promised Road, Till I Die, JEEZ this comp is marvelous.  It was my entry into exploring all the rest of the BB's catalog.

I actually was not a BB's fan until the late 90's (my loss I know) but as I delved into this comp, I wondered, and I still wonder why the Boys did not have more "chart success" with the Brother records.  I just can't wrap my head around how Sunflower got ONLY to #151.  THAT album is every bit as good as Abbey Road.  C'mon.

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »

What songs on here are different mixes than the album they were released on?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bluesno1fann
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 04:23:39 AM »

Not a bad album at all. Worth getting if you're a collector for the few tracks that are only available here.
Track listing could have been a little better though.
I wonder if we'll ever see a 70's dominated Beach Boys compilation again?
4 out of 5.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2013, 05:07:52 AM »

Not a bad album at all. Worth getting if you're a collector for the few tracks that are only available here.
4 out of 5.

Well, they did in 2000:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_Volume_Three:_Best_of_the_Brother_Years_1970%E2%80%931986

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 09:04:50 AM »

I bought this mostly for the cover art and "Sea Cruise", which is one of my favorite lead vocals by Dennis.

Biggest flaw is its lack of Love You material (aside from "Roller Skating Child") and the album probably would've been a great opportunity to release "WIBNTLA".
bluesno1fann
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »

4 out of 5.

Well, they did in 2000:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_Volume_Three:_Best_of_the_Brother_Years_1970%E2%80%931986
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. But other than that one compilation, there really hasn't been any 70's Beach Boys compilation since this one, as all the focus is on the pre-Pet Sounds material. It's a shame, really
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx