gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 02:58:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys and politics  (Read 15748 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: May 29, 2007, 09:50:52 PM »

I am just curious what each of the Beach Boys political leanings are. I know that Bruce Johnston is a Republican since I saw him waving a George W Bush hat at a concert in Dallas. What about the rest? Including Blondie, Ricky, Glen and Dave.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 11:48:10 PM »

Mike is a conservative republican and was originally a Bush supporter as well, but he's strongly against the war in Iraq. At least, that's what I've read (so someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The Beach Boys were friendly with the Reagans and I think also with Bush senior, so I don't think any of them were outspoken democrats...

I believe Brian once mocked Mike for being a conservative republican, so I think Brian maybe isn't a republican. But somehow I just can't imagine him caring a whole lot about politics.

I don't think Blondie and Ricky are American citizens.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 12:10:16 AM by shelter » Logged
MBE
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 02:44:24 AM »

I know Landy had Brian play an anti abortion rally. Todd Gold wrote Brian's taunt at Mike so who knows if that is real. Brian once said he was bi-partisan. Mike and Al are probably generally conservitive but both are pretty much envirementalists. I never heard Mike attack the war specifically, just have heard him make general peace statments.
Interesting subject.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 02:47:41 AM »

Don't forget they played at Jimmy Carter's inauguration. I recall reading that they offered their services to both parties in the following election.  The Republicans took up the offer.  Mike's conservatism certainly doesn't extend to environmental issues and I believe he and Bruce have played benefit gigs for a Democratic congressman whose environmental views are similar to their own. I suspect that there's more than a little opportunism going on.  Mike, for instance, played a Chilean benefit gig in the 70s (allegedly with Dennis).  See http://tsutpen.blogspot.com/2006/05/art-of-public-performance-2.html

What are BW's views?  Well, his wife is anti-Dubya...  Grin
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 02:49:32 AM by Smilin Ed H » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 02:59:12 AM »

Brian once said he was bi-partisan.

Think he meant bi-polar. You can be arrested for being bi-partisan in North Dakota - it's right up there with being ported, relieved, stroked & bored.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MBE
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 04:03:51 AM »

I don't think they played Carter's. Only time I read that was on the mid 80's Surf's Down LP and the track was actually from 1985.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 04:16:19 AM »

There's a boot with Dennis singing You Are So Beautiful recorded at the show - Surfin' Rarities Vol 1
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 05:33:39 AM »

A couple of people on the blueboard made a reference to some kind of political statement Brian supposedly made at a concert on the night before the 2000 or 2004 election, but I was never clear on what he reportedly said.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 05:55:38 AM »

There's a boot with Dennis singing You Are So Beautiful recorded at the show - Surfin' Rarities Vol 1
Again I can't say they did based solely on a boot because I have all the fanzines and news stories of the era and I would think at least one would mention something this big. Never heard of it in a book or saw a picture either. AGD can you tell us if they played for Carter???
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 06:30:56 AM »

A few years ago, Brian made some generally supportive statements about Bush on his website, it seemed to me that he was basically being respectful of whomever the president was, I don't think he's really a died in the wool conservative or democrat. 
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 08:18:05 AM »

Well bush likes the Beach Boys..  Roll Eyes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gb7iOvS7Akc

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 08:21:20 AM »

If you watch the Full House episode (sorry) from 88 where the perform at the LA Coliseum, you can see Brian wearing a Dukakis  Sweatshirt.  My guess is that was Landy inspired propoganda (can't believe Mike let him get away with it on national T.V as it was in the middel of the BB's Bush heyday) and that Brian is mostly apolitical. Of course, the boys played the Bush Sr. inaugural just 2 months later when he defeated Dukakis. Never forget that the Boys are at times astue businessmen--never a good idea to overtly express one's views and immediatley turn off half of your fan base.   My opinion from viewing their history is that they mostly support the poplular view of the country, go which way the wind blows. Publicly that is. I think they actually keep their private views separate froom their public performance, which is smart.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
MBE
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 05:41:38 PM »

It is smart because I hate when entertainers who attack others views.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 06:02:43 PM »

Entertainers are citizens, too, and have every right to express their views. The mistake is by people who like the entertainers' art, and therefore take their political opinion into special consideration (as if being able to write an interesting chord progression makes a person an expert at analyzing foreign policy or national economics).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 10:05:01 PM »

Entertainers are citizens, too, and have every right to express their views. The mistake is by people who like the entertainers' art, and therefore take their political opinion into special consideration (as if being able to write an interesting chord progression makes a person an expert at analyzing foreign policy or national economics).

I suppose you are right, I just meant to force  t on your audience isn't always a wise move. Now if they state their opinion and do it in a way that won't anger people who feel differently that's fine. Personally I think the problem with celebrities who spout politics today is that nobody respects others p.o.v.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 01:10:00 AM »

Wasn't Dennis political with Patti Reagan?

So, anyone know if the BB did play Carter's inauguration?
MBE
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 01:15:12 AM »

Yes he was. She said he tried to talk her out of getting an abortion (not his baby) so maybe he leaned conservative on that issue. Yes does anyone know about Carter???
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 06:00:45 AM »

I'd just like to point out that I don't think playing somebody's inauguration party really means anything about what political party you are.  Even now lots of bands played Bush's inauguration and I don't think they were all conservative, they were just doing it out of respect for the event. 
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 06:47:08 AM »

"I'd just like to point out that I don't think playing somebody's inauguration party really means anything about what political party you are.  Even now lots of bands played Bush's inauguration and I don't think they were all conservative, they were just doing it out of respect for the event. "

Oh yes.  I agree absolutely, although Mike's appearance at the Chilean concert is surprising to say the least.  I recall reading an interview with Bruce where he stated he was a Republican; I suspect Mike is more pragmatically so; I imagine Al leans the other way a little and who knows where the Wilsons stood/stand (although I belive Melinda, at least, has been les than flattering about Dubya on the Blue Board - but it was a while ago, so don't quote me on that).

Didn't Patti hook up with Don Henley too?  Of course, every woman in southern California seems to have been there too...
Peter Ames Carlin
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 10:00:45 AM »

I wrote a bit about this in 'Catch A Wave.' It's an interesting topic, particularly if you've tried to follow the twisted line from the text of "Smile" to "Student Demonstration Time" to "I'm pickin' up Bush Vibrations/He's the man to lead this nation" (that was Mike and Bruce, in re: Bush the elder in '88). I've spoken to both Brian and Mike about politics, and gleaned as much as I could about the others' various stands and ideals. What I've concluded is:

1. Brian could care less, though as a truly freaky artist he seems most comfortable with political progressives, lefties and the like. Everything I've ever heard Melinda say about GW Bush makes it clear she doesn't like him much. To put it gently.
2. Mike is mostly attracted to power, no matter who wields it. Low taxes for the wealthy and happy talk about ol' fashioned American values also turn him on, though the latter seems a stretch for a man who can claim 8 ex-wives and a tabloid-calliber personal life. How he squares his support of market-friendly conservatives with his fervent environmentalism and anti-war beliefs is anyone's guess. He doesn't do a very good job elucidating it, that's for sure.
3. Al: I don't know for sure, but I have to think he's somewhere in the moderate center.
4. Carl: I'd wager he didn't care either. The conscientious objector fight would seem to place him in the left, but he was also a rich entertainer who probably wasn't fond of taxes, either. A financial libertarian? I have no idea.
5. Bruce: Is wealthy and always has been. He's a country club Republican.
6/ Dennis: I have a hard time imagining him as a pro-lifer. Or as someone who read the paper much. More a libertine than a libertarian, I think the only party he belonged to was the party party. Which sounds cool and fun until you remember that he was an alcoholic who died at 39. Just think, if he'd focused all that energy on politics Dennis might still be alive and the BB's would have a coherent political philosophy. Sigh.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 10:55:40 AM »

Don't forget Mike Love's donation to the PMRC....TIPPER GORE'S pmrc....
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 03:08:50 PM »

Brian did an interview with Chuck D on Air America (liberal talk radio) a while back... not that it really means anything, but it seems like if Melinda were very conservative she wouldn't allow it. Now, if Brian did an interview on Fox, the two would cancel each other out. I know Mike and Bill O'Reilly get on pretty well.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 03:28:44 PM »

I'd LOVE Brian to do a couple political talk shows from both ends of the spectrum within a few days of each other.

Pro-abortion? Yes. Pro-life? Yes. Raise taxes? Sure. Reduce taxes? Yes, please. Wanna hamburger? YES! Are you vegetarian? I sure am. How do you feel about American foreign policy? Um, have you seen "Norbitt?"

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

MBE
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 06:34:57 PM »

Luther that is very funny
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 06:39:59 PM »

Luther that is very funny

[bows]

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx