gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:06:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer Dreams 1990  (Read 14205 times)
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2015, 08:04:21 AM »

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Rentatris
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2015, 11:25:19 AM »

This thread has made me go back to watch the movie and it made me think...it is awful, that I know and the beards are frankly inexcusable but the reason I don't think it's good is the absolutely massive narrative jumps. Whole years are jumped and massive segments are brushed over as if nothing, but that's not the films fault, how can you fit the rich and dense history of the beach boys into 120mins? I would struggle to tell the whole story in that time with just words let alone all the exposition and pacing required in a film.

So how about this then....a 24-part American Series - those 24 40 minute episodes could really tell the story well and follow all the different characters paths with them all re-united for concerts now and again.....obviously I'm biased as a fan but I think it could really work!

Pet Sounds, SMiLE, Love You, Adult/Child
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2015, 03:20:06 PM »

"Summer Dreams" is awesome as camp. That's about it.

Especially now that we have "Love and Mercy" (where they wisely choose not to try to cram all the years in), we don't need anymore actors trying to portray their story.

We need a "Beatles Anthology" style long-form documentary on the band, and it needs to be done soon while the remaining members can still sit down and do extensive interviews.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2015, 03:53:42 PM »

Especially now that we have "Love and Mercy" (where they wisely choose not to try to cram all the years in), we don't need anymore actors trying to portray their story.

We need a "Beatles Anthology" style long-form documentary on the band, and it needs to be done soon while the remaining members can still sit down and do extensive interviews.

I really need to see this film, just for the camp value (I know it's on Youtube and I'll watch it sometime). Would be a gas if they got the rights (perhaps at a fire sale rate?) and put it as an Easter Egg gag on the Love & Mercy Blu-ray  Grin
KDS
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2015, 11:34:49 AM »

I'd love to see a full Beatles Anthology type documentary on The Beach Boys.  Even at 2 hours, I thought Endless Harmony really just scratched the surface. 

I'm also hoping for some sort of video anthology, with a collection of vintage TV clips / promotional films.  And maybe some more vintage concerts.  From the clips on Endless Harmony, I know there's tons of great footage in the vaults.  I'd rather see some extensive DVD releases before another box set of with one CD of unreleased material and four CDs of hits, album tracks, remixes.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2016, 10:46:22 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaugccN6njk

The comment by Jay Levy sheds some light on the fake Dennis song.  

The guy who played Mike was spot-on casting.  The actor even went bald like Mike and could probably still play him today!

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/bigbangtheory/images/b/b2/Headshot2.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130814013205
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:56:52 AM by petsoundsnola » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2016, 01:11:47 PM »

I'm probably the one person who wasn't blown away by "Love and Mercy", but I won't go into that here. But agree, we need a good video history of the band, at least  hours - the Beatles got 8 hours for basically the years 1960-1970; the BB's career was much longer, and there's no lack of footage to use.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2016, 05:24:37 PM »

I'm probably the one person who wasn't blown away by "Love and Mercy", but I won't go into that here. But agree, we need a good video history of the band, at least  hours - the Beatles got 8 hours for basically the years 1960-1970; the BB's career was much longer, and there's no lack of footage to use.

If I may, what didn't you enjoy about L&M?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2016, 06:37:13 PM »

I enjoyed the 60's stuff, in the studio; the portrayals of the other Beach Boys were more developed than what I'd seen in the other bio-pics, not just cardboard cutouts. But the 80's stuff? Well, for one, you got the impression from this film that Brian wasn't making any music then, wasn't performing with the Beach Boys...I think it would have been cool to have some scenes of Brian in the studio with Andy Paley and others, working on Melt Away, Rio Grande....I think it's amazing he went through all he went through and was still able to create incredible music like that. And I felt like the film downplayed Carl's efforts at getting Brian away from Landy. I know, it wasn't about that, it was a love story. It wasn't a movie about the Beach Boys. So I still think a good film could be made about the group, although I would prefer an Anthology style film.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2016, 09:36:56 PM »

I enjoyed the 60's stuff, in the studio; the portrayals of the other Beach Boys were more developed than what I'd seen in the other bio-pics, not just cardboard cutouts. But the 80's stuff? Well, for one, you got the impression from this film that Brian wasn't making any music then, wasn't performing with the Beach Boys...I think it would have been cool to have some scenes of Brian in the studio with Andy Paley and others, working on Melt Away, Rio Grande....I think it's amazing he went through all he went through and was still able to create incredible music like that. And I felt like the film downplayed Carl's efforts at getting Brian away from Landy. I know, it wasn't about that, it was a love story. It wasn't a movie about the Beach Boys. So I still think a good film could be made about the group, although I would prefer an Anthology style film.

I agree with the Carl part for sure, but I guess cutting out alot of the 80s backstory was strictly a formatting/timing thing
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2016, 11:40:55 PM »

I agree with the Carl part for sure, but I guess cutting out alot of the 80s backstory was strictly a formatting/timing thing
Brian's story - or the group's story - is something that really can't be done in 90 minutes/2 hours. Endless Harmony did a pretty fair job, but there's so much that had to be left out. And I hate that these types of flims/dvd's always give the impression that Brian was not in the studio after Smile. I look at the song credits on the late 60's albums, and he is still all over them as writer, singer, producer - but he didn't completely dominate as he had before. And I think that was a good thing - Dennis and Carl got to develop as songwriters and producers, we got to hear what Al and Bruce could do.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2016, 11:47:56 PM »

I'd love to see a genuinely independent doc on the band. Not a "warts and all" horror story, but not a fanboy flick either. Something that tells the story in a properly balanced way that's fair to the band without wrapping them up in cotton wool. Chances of the band allowing sufficient access for that to happen are as slim as my bank balance…!

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx