gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680782 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:58:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer Dreams 1990  (Read 14298 times)
wgolly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 28, 2007, 10:49:18 AM »

I'm talkin' aboout the 1990 made for tv movie.  They have this movie on fye for around $4, I'm thinking of buying with one of my old gift cards.  I haven't seen it since around 2001 when it was being shown on VH1( movies that rock), so I don't remember much, except for the denny scenes and the cocaine sessions.  How does it handle the smile era?    Also, did it have the rights to original music?

File Under: Teen- Best Sellers
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2007, 11:08:15 AM »

My $.02: It's garbage. It isn't worth a thing, other than the same kind of tragic-comic humor that one gets from the BW/Gold "autobiography." It is laughably bad.

You can search "Summer Dreams Beach Boys" and find it on youtube. I recommend you refresh your memory before buying it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
wgolly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 11:32:57 AM »

maybe I'll skip it.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 12:31:19 PM »

Although inaccurate, I enjoyed it. Razz

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 03:07:09 PM »

God Bless the fake-ass beards.

Plus,Dennis looking like a child molester

although, if you consider him & Shawn... police

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 04:25:02 PM »

It's good on one thing and that is the friendship between Brian and Dennis.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 09:06:36 PM »

yeah, it does a better job of the denny/brian relationship than American Family....but the Smile era isnt touched....

Good Vibrations, not even in the movie....Brian just gets burnt out and grows a beard in 1967?!?!? and just "sits there in the corner listening to the sgt. pepper album" as the other guys watch Jimi Hendrix at Monterey Pop Show and are weirded out by it...

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2007, 12:07:11 AM »

I'm talkin' aboout the 1990 made for tv movie.  They have this movie on fye for around $4, I'm thinking of buying with one of my old gift cards.  I haven't seen it since around 2001 when it was being shown on VH1( movies that rock), so I don't remember much, except for the denny scenes and the cocaine sessions.  How does it handle the smile era?    Also, did it have the rights to original music?

It's pretty bad; very shoddily handled and totally inaccurate.  Plus we're treated to "Dennis" performing a song he never wrote. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2007, 12:49:19 AM »

I have this on tape and to answer one of your questions, no it doesnt have original music. So the actors sing the parts (and boy are they bad!!). But if you want a good laugh (as this movie gave me) then I recommend it, but just dont expect anything too spectacular. Just watch it knowing how much of a joke in terms of accuracy the movie really is and just approach the movie light-heartedly because if you expect it to be a great overview of the band then you'll be dissapointed. An American Family (the other TV movie) is MUCH better in my opinion.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 05:48:43 AM »

yeah, it does a better job of the denny/brian relationship than American Family....but the Smile era isnt touched....

Good Vibrations, not even in the movie....Brian just gets burnt out and grows a beard in 1967?!?!? and just "sits there in the corner listening to the sgt. pepper album" as the other guys watch Jimi Hendrix at Monterey Pop Show and are weirded out by it...

My favourite quote ever in the whole thing is in that sequence; the incredibly badly dubbed "Hendrix" speech from the tv:

"SURF MUSIC IS DEAD!"

Never fails to make me laugh. Wrong on so many levels.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 09:26:47 AM »

Call me crazy but the Murry in Summer Dreams was much more convincing than Kevin Dunn.

--
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 09:30:06 AM »

i feel like so many favor the SD Murry than Kevin Dunn, why is this? I thought Kevin Dunn was really really good...he actually had real lines that Murry said...and Two Step Side Step...dont get me started  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 12:16:56 PM »

"Summer Dreams" is worth it for the camp value.  I wouldn't pay $10, but $4 is about right.  I didn't care for "American Family" at all,  particularly Part 2.  Part 1 isn't bad, but they had a vastly larger budget than SD to get those early '60s details right, and it shows ($20 million for that miniseries, versus probably a tenth or less of that to make "Summer Dreams," an average TV movie budget for that time).  Take them both with a grain of salt.  Both have Brian in bed as of 1967.  I much prefer the "Summer Dreams" Brian actor.  The guy who played him in "American Family" was totally unsympathetic and very bad in the role,even beyond the crap he was made to do by the script.  I also like Bruce Greenwood, though I'm not sure he made a good Dennis.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 12:26:44 PM »

I'm a fan of Bruce Greenwood, just because he didn't make a good Dennis. LOL Now, whenever one of his movies is on tv, I always stop to watch.  Smokin

--
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 12:45:47 PM »

Which one contains the part where Brian goes to a Capitol meeting with a tape recorder? Is it Summer Dreams or American Family?

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 12:48:44 PM »

Which one contains the part where Brian goes to a Capitol meeting with a tape recorder? Is it Summer Dreams or American Family?

American Family.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 01:07:09 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley I was just asking because I remember seeing a BB movie when I was about 9 or 10, and this scene stuck in my mind... At the time I didn't understand English very well, so I'm searching for this particular movie just as a "souvenir" from one of my earliest encounters with the BB world. (not the best one in retrospect!  Grin)

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
wgolly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 01:44:23 PM »

I was just watching this on youtube and you know what, that guy looked exactly like Mike Love. 

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 07:37:13 PM »

Did the Beach Boys really have a fake panel rigged up for Murray that didn't really work?
MBE
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 10:01:09 PM »

That's been said to be the case. I think Murry did real work, gettin them to sound trebley etc., but the story has gone around for years and I think Nik Venet started it. Really he was a bad source.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 12:49:36 AM »

I'm searching for this particular movie just as a "souvenir" from one of my earliest encounters with the BB world. (not the best one in retrospect!  Grin)

American Family is my first encounter of the Beach Boys too! By the way I always thought that Kevin Dunn was WAY more effective as Murry than the Summer Dreams Murry. But I agree I dont like the Brian in American Family. But I think Mike and Murry look pretty realistic in American Family whereas the actors in Summer Dreams look pathetic (on the whole), especially Carl... who casted him as Carl?? If I saw that Summer Dreams movie first (thankfully I didnt) I would have thought "man these guys are gay" whereas luckily I saw An American Family and thought "wow, these guys are really cool and weird". And yes it had Brian acting like a weirdo too early in the piece but that just made me want to go and learn about this weird band. And I think I am right in saying that there is much more (though still ridled with errors) historical accuracy in An American Family, would that be right (I mean, Im guessing here, but does anyone agree?) I guess you could say I have a soft spot for An American Family Wink
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 11:01:41 PM »

Yeah there's a lotta sh*t wrong with this film. The way they looked in certain years in the film isn't what they looked like in reality in those years and that fucking irritates me. Bruce Greenwood doesn't look like Dennis at all, the guy that played Brian didn't look like him, the guy that played Carl didn't look like him even slightly. And Bruce doesn't get any acknowledgment whatsoever in the movie. I went and bought it recently on dvd cuz I hadn't seen it in years and I still get irritated by a lotta the sh*t that they fowled up. And yeah Good Vibrations wasn't even mentioned; most of the film was about Dennis and his downfall.  Huh
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 11:27:24 PM »

That's been said to be the case. I think Murry did real work, gettin them to sound trebley etc., but the story has gone around for years and I think Nik Venet started it. Really he was a bad source.

Chuck Britz confirmed it more than once.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 11:48:54 PM »

It is entertaining primarily due to how awful it is.  Lots of facts are distorted and mixed up.  John Stamos produced a different Beach Boys tv-movie for ABC but that one isn't much better. 

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 11:51:46 PM »

It is entertaining primarily due to how awful it is.  Lots of facts are distorted and mixed up.  John Stamos produced a different Beach Boys tv-movie for ABC but that one isn't much better. 

And I have just realized that I've replied to this thread twice! 

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx