gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680783 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 03:17:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Whole World Vocals  (Read 3041 times)
wgolly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2007, 10:16:57 AM »

ok so we know the lead on this one is Carl, right?  But there'es lot's of stuff buried in the track, like I've heard  Marilyn sang on this.  Who else?  I'm not sure if this is true, but it wouldn't surprise me.  So, who was actually on this track?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 10:38:41 AM by wgolly » Logged

File Under: Teen- Best Sellers
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 02:37:37 PM »

Probably all the Boys, plus Marilyn & Diane.  Brian sings the opening line.  Sounds a lot like Carl, doesn't he?  Or vice-versa.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 02:50:15 PM »

Brian sings the opening line.

The line "I'm thinkin' 'bout this whole world" - that's Brian? I always thought it was Carl...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 03:55:07 PM »

It is Carl.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
C.Miller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 04:28:03 PM »

If you listen to the song OOPSed (out of phase stereo), you can hear Mike saying the opening line along with Carl.

This song is absolutely begging for a vocals only mix. Maybe on Hawthorne Vol. 2?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 04:35:03 PM »

It's Brian singing the openingline with Mike.  I've heard it isolated in a variety of ways.

Also, I don't really hear the girls on it, but Carl, Al, Mike, and Bruce are all prominent on the backups.
C.Miller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 04:36:57 PM »

And it's Al doing the "This whole world" falsetto at the end, right?

And the "I'm thinkin' bout" in the middle?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 05:38:35 PM »

I'm sure that's Bri in the middle.  And I always assumed that's his falsetto, too. 
Josh, let us know.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 08:00:56 PM »

I just have to say, whoever it is, it is among the top couple of BBs recordings ever. The singers, engineers and producers--whoever each may be--did a great job. That recording is a miracle.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 08:14:14 PM »

It's Brian singing the openingline with Mike.  I've heard it isolated in a variety of ways.

Well, you learn something new every day on the old Smiley Smile Message Board. I always found it strange that Brian gave this song to Carl to sing. Back then, Brian was still singing most of his own composed songs. And now that I find out that he sang that first line - quite well actually - it really makes me wonder why he didn't sing the rest. Maybe another "God Only Knows"-type thing...
C.Miller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 09:18:59 PM »

I'm sure that's Bri in the middle.  And I always assumed that's his falsetto, too. 
Josh, let us know.

Well, in the instrumental bridge (the second time through the "girls and boys" section) it's definitely him singing the falsetto line. I'm talking about the line "I'm thinkin bout this whole world" following Carl's "Now here comes another day one".

And I would have to agree it's among my top favorites. Just an amazing piece of music in every aspect.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 09:33:17 PM »

I just have to say, whoever it is, it is among the top couple of BBs recordings ever. The singers, engineers and producers--whoever each may be--did a great job. That recording is a miracle.

Yeah, probably my favorite Beach Boys song.  I like it because it has this sort of madness to it but is still very commercial and very well done, kind of like Brian's whole genius.  I always thought the first line sounded like him, too, myself and the second time it happens from the background it's definately Brian.

It's pretty cool, in a compositional way because you have Brian singing the first line to start the song off, then he 'hands off' the lead to Carl, so he can lead all the other Beach Boys in that insane "BA WHOOM BAP DIDDAH!" stuff in the background.  On one of the mixes of it I've heard on the various albums it's been released on, it's enough to give you goosebumps when they do the acapella thing at the end.

Another neat thing, when they do the acapella bit, the song is everybit as strong and full as it is at the beginning of the song, with the instruments. 

I always enjoy the contrast on the box set, I believe it has "I just got my pay" followed immediately by "This Whole World"... so you've got "Here's what Brian thinks up when he's having a bad day" backed with "Here's what Brian thinks up when he's inspired by God".
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 09:56:13 PM »

Tremendous song...I think it would have been a hit except by 1970 singles were getting longer and making a song under two minutes wasn't gonna cut it. One more verse in there of only.....
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 12:18:38 AM »

5/70 Brother-Reprise 0929  Slip On Through/This Whole World

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 10:42:24 AM »

This is such a cool song that grows on me with every listen. Brian writes a song about the entire world, yet manages to make the song less than two minutes. When the verse "late at night I think about the love of this whole world" is sung, I get the impression that Brian is both happy about the love of this world but also disappointed in that the world is filled with love but Brian isn't feeling any. In that sense the song comforts me greatly because that is how I feel. While the song conveys a madness and a sadness, the beat and the back up vocals gives a sense that this will be overcome and allows the listener to feel happy........am I making any sense?? Please don't answer that question....

AUM BOP DIDDIT!!!!!!!!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx