gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:01:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shortening Bread...?!  (Read 5399 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: May 24, 2007, 06:16:21 PM »

Is it true that the version of SB on what would've been Adult Child dates from 1973? I have a hard time believing that one, but someone I know is insisting on it.

I'm obviously talking about the version with Carl singing on it. I know there was one done by Spring, but I've never heard that one.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 06:18:29 PM by Jaymie's Dad » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 06:23:48 PM »

Hmm...their voices don't sound like '73 vintage to me--more mid- to late-70s gruffness. But I guess the track could've been. Still, I am sure someone will pop up and provide actual sessions dates. Some people know those things. Remarkable bunch.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 06:29:43 PM »

Thats hard to know.
MBE
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 06:41:43 PM »

I think the music is from 73 and the voices from 77.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 06:50:40 PM »

"Shortnin' Bread" ROCKS!! Especially the alt version, where Carl really wails. Listening Tip Toe

Brian, Dennis, & Carl

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 07:26:08 PM »

"Shortnin' Bread" ROCKS!! Especially the alt version, where Carl really wails.

No joke. See, if the track actually is from 1973, then it means Brian was already moving into his "angry" synth period long before 15BO/LY.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 08:05:26 PM »

This doesn't address the original question, but it's interesting that Brian also cut another version of "Shortenin' Bread" in 1980, after they had released it on "LA (Light Album)." As far as I know, this version only circulates as a backing track. I don't know if any more work was done on that version, or what Brian possibly could have been planning to do with another version of the song.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 09:19:06 PM »

That's just the few we know about.  He's probably really recorded it about 20 times, like Proud Mary.  Last year, he told some interview that Proud Mary was going to be on his 'new' rock and roll album.  So if he's still hangin' on to that one, he's probably still messing around with Shortenin' Bread, too, even if only in the dark corners of his strange, strange mind. 
MBE
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 09:43:58 PM »

Stephen Desper told me Mike was obsessed with the song too.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 11:01:44 PM »

i believe there are 3 different versions of this song. the 73 78 and 1980. correct me if i am wrong. Didnt Curt Boecher also remixed this song.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 11:18:47 PM »

Stephen Desper told me Mike was obsessed with the song too.

What a disturbing group of men the Beach Boys were...

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2007, 11:31:44 PM »

Is it true that the version of SB on what would've been Adult Child dates from 1973? I have a hard time believing that one, but someone I know is insisting on it.

I'm obviously talking about the version with Carl singing on it. I know there was one done by Spring, but I've never heard that one.

The track & bvs (mostly Spring but with Brian handling the bass) was cut in 1973 by Brian & David Sandler (post-Iowa). The lead and additional bvs were added in 1976/7.

It's a standing joke amongst certain of us (hi, Alan !) to see if Brian manages to shoehorn the "SB" riff, or a variation thereof, into a new project. I think to date the total's up to eight or nine and includes "South American", "Bells Of Madness" and pretty much the whole of "Proud Mary" (I think the whole of "Runnin' Bear" too, but I've been voted down on that).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 11:36:15 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2007, 11:37:48 PM »

This doesn't address the original question, but it's interesting that Brian also cut another version of "Shortenin' Bread" in 1980, after they had released it on "LA (Light Album)." As far as I know, this version only circulates as a backing track. I don't know if any more work was done on that version, or what Brian possibly could have been planning to do with another version of the song.

Same time as he recut "My Solution" in like (i.e. synthesised) vein. Not one of his better ideas...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2007, 03:57:48 AM »

It's a standing joke amongst certain of us (hi, Alan !) to see if Brian manages to shoehorn the "SB" riff, or a variation thereof, into a new project. I think to date the total's up to eight or nine and includes "South American", "Bells Of Madness" and pretty much the whole of "Proud Mary" (I think the whole of "Runnin' Bear" too, but I've been voted down on that).

Let's hope he gets it in 'Lucky old sun' too...!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2007, 04:33:31 AM »

i believe there are 3 different versions of this song. the 73 78 and 1980. correct me if i am wrong. Didnt Curt Boecher also remixed this song.

Curt said so in a 1980 interview for the BBFUN newsletter, along with about half of the rest of the album.  However when I asked Bruce about it last year on the BBB, he replied that Curt mixed NONE of "L.A.".   So who knows.

Chuck Crane recalls playing guitar on a version recorded at Brother in late '77 with Brian, Dennis, Guercio, and Hinsche.  In a radio interview promoting the album, Carl said the version on the album was was cut at Caribou.   Curt said the vocals were done at Criteria in Miami.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx