gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:35:16 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alright, lets talk about Warmth of the Sun!  (Read 19364 times)
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2007, 12:52:35 AM »

SOS is up to #7 on the pop chart, it's 202nd week on billboard charts.

That's amazing its still selling so strong. Has it been hitting the top 20 every summer since it came out? It's great there is still that much interest in their music, 'cause maybe Capitol will continue to remaster the catalog and maybe put out that Sunflower boxset and Wild Honey stereo remix.  Wink

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2007, 01:10:51 AM »

That's amazing its still selling so strong. Has it been hitting the top 20 every summer since it came out? It's great there is still that much interest in their music, 'cause maybe Capitol will continue to remaster the catalog and maybe put out that Sunflower boxset and Wild Honey stereo remix.  Wink
Just to be clear, that's #7 on the Pop *Catalog* chart, not the pop chart.  The pop catalog chart contains titles that are older than 2 years and have dropped below the Top 100.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2007, 03:53:35 AM »

Just to be clear, that's #7 on the Pop *Catalog* chart, not the pop chart.  The pop catalog chart contains titles that are older than 2 years and have dropped below the Top 100.

Does that mean that SOS is #107 ? I don't know about this stuff, so sorry if that's a stupid question....

I have a feeling that WOTS really does well in getting the great post-Smile stuff out to the world. See this for example: http://www.joplinglobe.com/enjoy/local_story_158164033.html?keyword=secondarystory

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2007, 05:10:53 AM »

No - the 'catalog' chart is totally seperate, but I'm guessing that were it still in the top 200 album chart, SOS would register in the 140s or so.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2007, 01:15:33 PM »

It really is fantastic how well both titles are selling..Seeing as how 'WOTS' is up against some serious competition, it's holding strong.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2007, 06:56:22 AM »

for those who may be interested...

WOTS is #90 this week in the top 200 billboard chart

SOS is #8 in the top pop catalog billboard chart

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
MBE
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2007, 06:19:19 PM »

Stinks that it sunk so fast
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2007, 08:18:31 AM »

Not really, digital sales are now where people get there music, don't leave that out.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 16, 2007, 10:17:29 AM »

Episode 7 is up, if you know where to look
thomasogg
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2007, 07:25:45 PM »

Okay, the new compilation pissed me off... Just the one Dennis track? & 'Forever' yet again..? Do u think by any chance this is the surviving members attempt to gloss over slightly just how much of a genius songwriter Denny actually was, the therefore play up their own (inferior) talents? I mean, we had Forever on SOS and now we got it again.. It's creating, deliberately I believe, the misleading impression that 'Forever' is the only song of merit Dennis ever wrote. Why not have included the lost classic 'Lady'? Or a terrifc album track such as 'Slip On Through' or 'Baby Blue'? ANY Dennis song would've been preferable to like the likes of 'Don't Go Near The Water' which is, at best, average. Brian and Al harp on continuously about what a great underated talent Denny was, but given the opportunity to highlight this to the wider world and they're too busy falling over themselves to see who can get the most of their own tracks onto the compilations, regardless of the quality..
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2007, 08:51:42 PM »

Okay, the new compilation pissed me off... Just the one Dennis track? & 'Forever' yet again..? Do u think by any chance this is the surviving members attempt to gloss over slightly just how much of a genius songwriter Denny actually was, the therefore play up their own (inferior) talents? I mean, we had Forever on SOS and now we got it again..

Given that "Forever" was not a top 40 hit, i sincerely doubt  it was included on Sounds of Summer

Golden Rule #1 when making a point/ranting - get your facts right.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2007, 09:00:52 PM »

Also, there was this...
Brian and Al harp on continuously about what a great underated talent Denny was, but given the opportunity to highlight this to the wider world and they're too busy falling over themselves to see who can get the most of their own tracks onto the compilations, regardless of the quality..

Right. That's why "Lookin At Tommorrow", arguably Al's best song, is on it. Oh wait, it's not. Oh sh*t...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2007, 09:34:53 PM »

And you have to remember, these compilations aren't meant to be some democratic or neutral assessment of the BB canon, rather they're designed to appeal to the casual listener.  WOTS is designed specifically to appeal at a casual level, and then hit those same casuals with a few tracks they might not have heard before.

It's better for the fans, and the record company, for someone to hear "Add Some Music" on WOTS, and then be compelled to go and buy Sunflower, rather than include half the tracks from that album.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2007, 08:59:14 AM »

Next episode is online.

Brian says that Al, Mike and Dennis wrote "All this is that". In truth it was of course Al, Mike and carl. I think that should be made clear or edited out.

Otherwise a great episode with Mike finally adding something usable. Still waiting for Bruce to do so (except maybe "Disney girls")

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2007, 06:16:56 PM »

I was fully expecting to CRINGE when "Why Do Fools....." came on, but, dang me, that is a killer wall of sound production and singing job.  I'd rather listen to it 3 times in a row than to two times thru Disney Girls (unless it's the Art Garfunkel version).

As several others have said, the photos are very effective.
The group photo on the back could be a metaphor to start a dozen different essays on the band.
bellagio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2007, 08:38:48 PM »

Yeah, I know it's been mentioned (briefly) but is that back cover photo real, or some photo-shop magic job? The front, I imagine, is a total fake...?
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2007, 10:50:25 PM »

The back photo looks like it's from the photo session in Summer 1967, post Smile, where Brian has a beard and they're all at the beach.  The colors were probably changed to match the cover.  I've never actually seen the back cover photo before though, so who knows?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2007, 11:52:09 AM »

From the same session. As I recall, l-r it's Dennis, Alan, Carl, Brian, Mike. the color has been adjusted, of course.

As for the front shot, try comparing it with the image on the back of the SOS booklet.  Roll Eyes

Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2007, 12:25:33 PM »

geez, I saw a cut-out copy of the WOTS CD in a new/used store already today.

How have sales been?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2007, 11:07:01 AM »

In the latest podcast, Bruce mentioned that Ricky and Blondie weren't royalty-members but only sidekicks. Did I misunderstand something or is he wrong?

- Jack Rieley
SG7
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2007, 04:46:40 PM »

My only "wha?" moment was when I heard CCW for the first time single version. No wonder it didn't do all that good. The beginning is cut off and that is like crucial to the whole song! Starting with the water chants is just not the way you go with that song  Undecided I don't know about all of you but the opening really glides you in to the rest of it.
MBE
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2007, 08:32:49 PM »

Forever should have been an a side. Creative but commerical.
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 16, 2007, 01:47:52 AM »

Anyone think Capitol will remaster all of the twofers and release them again?

Better than that would be miniature vinyl replica reissues.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2007, 09:05:37 AM »

So what's everybody's thoughts on the TWOTS podcast series?
I for once really enjoyed it, though some of Brian's comments were sort of a let-down for me. Seems like he doesn't give too much of a f*** about most songs he didn't have a hand in writing. Admittedly it's no big surprise, I guess.
Really liked some of the nice things Mike Love had to say about 'Til I Die, heartfelt or not.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2007, 09:23:11 AM »

Those podcasts are a great thing as they reunite the boys in a way.
I think Brian did ok mostly, Al was good, Mike needed quite a while to bring in something usable imo. Bruce needed even longer. At first I thought he was just there to kiss Mike's ass or to tell us that he did drive a Honda and did go surfing but didn't drive a 409 (iirc), but then (almost too late for me) he began talking about the music hich I enjoyed.
I think Brian's "I wasn't involved"-answers were not necessarily, he at least could've said if he liked the song or not, although I like his talking about "California". Another big letdown for me was that he mentioned Dennis and not Carl as co-writer for "All this is that", something that the people could have edited out, because as we all know it is just wrong.
On the whole I tend to giving Al the congrats for saying the most interesting things for a new fan or newly interested person, like the way "Feel flows" was produced for example.

I'd like to ask this question again, Bruce said that Blondie and Ricky were just sidemen and not royalty-memebrs. But i thought, and the booklet lists them, they were official memebrs. Or is there a difference between being a member and being a royalty-member? Sorry if this is a dumb question....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 09:24:40 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx