gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 06:03:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Alright, lets talk about Warmth of the Sun!  (Read 19393 times)
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2007, 12:03:07 AM »

Somebody mentioned somewhere (Maybe on the podcast page) that there's been 70 BB's hits compilations. 

I thought that the real number was closer to 150...

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2007, 12:29:44 AM »

Interestingly, it appears that there is a previously unreleased downloadable track exclusive to Target stores as well. It's a live version of "Fun Fun Fun" from Sacramento, 1964. It's supposedly labeled as previously unreleased, so it must be different from the version on the "Concert" album, perhaps from the other show or a non-overdubbed version.

The Target website or flier makes no mention of the exclusive, so that's a bit strange. But I don't think I'll buy the CD again for this track, especially since all of the Sacramento 1964 stuff has appeared on the SOT CD's, while the "409" track at least hadn't been booted.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2007, 08:12:52 PM »

Ok...three things about Warmth Of The Sun:

1.) Nice new stereo mixes of songs that only mono mixes were available of before. All Summer Long sounds like it is missing some instrumental overdubs.  I wonder why Wendy needed a new stereo mix. The 1964 stereo mix was preety cool already (same with Shut Down on the Sounds Of Summer CD). We don't need NEW stereo mixes. But new stereo mixes of mono only tracks are always welcome.

2.) Why Do Fools Fall In Love - while out of place on this comp, at least we finally have the 45 mix of the track. But, after listening to it several times, it sounds sourced from vinyl. There are pops throughout. But that could be just tape noise. And as far as tape noise, I am glad that Mark either used noise reduction or careful careful eq'ing to clean up Forever. Really hissy on Platinum Collection 3 CD set.

3.) Live track - 409. I dont care that it was a live track. But as Shut Down (on the Hawthorne Ca. CD) shows, there were some good performances in that  Chicago '65 show. 409 was not one of them. The guys sing out of tune and there seems to be tape speed faults. Whatever. Pull another song. Hell, give us Denny doing "Hide Your Love Away" from U of M 10/22/66!

Nuff said.

Bob Flory
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2007, 03:34:23 AM »

There should have been at least one more Dennis Wilson song on the album. In general, I don't like DW's role in writing and performing some of the greatest Beach Boys material of the late sixties and early seventies being reduced to just one single song.

That said, I like the overall feel of The Warmth of the Sun and while I'm never too crazy about the prospect of 'new stereo mixes' I've got to say that Please Let Me Wonder really does it for me. Just incredibly gorgeous.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2007, 04:42:26 AM »

This is really, really geekish stuff... but is it just me, or is the photo on the front of the new comp the same beach as the one on the back of the SOS booklet ?

Really like the shot of the guys on the back of the CD case.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
audiodrome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2007, 07:10:30 AM »

One thing that really stood out for me was the bass sound in the new PLMW remix - very fat, clean and defined. Beautiful!

Paul
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2007, 07:26:31 AM »

There should have been at least one more Dennis Wilson song on the album. In general, I don't like DW's role in writing and performing some of the greatest Beach Boys material of the late sixties and early seventies being reduced to just one single song.

Agreed. When's "Slip On Through" gonna get its time in the sun?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2007, 07:55:24 AM »

Agreed. When's "Slip On Through" gonna get its time in the sun?

We're lucky to have that...remember "Best Of, Vol. 3 - The Brother Years"?  NO DW songs on that one!  B/C, I've been told, Dennis' family sold their interest in the corporate business years ago to the other BBs, so they no longer have input.  The fact "Forever" made it on a CD recently compiled by the surviving BBs themselves is pretty fortunate.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2007, 12:40:06 PM »

I said Why Do Fools Fall In Love - while out of place on this comp, at least we finally have the 45 mix of the track. But, after listening to it several times, it sounds sourced from vinyl. There are pops throughout. But that could be just tape noise.

Just found out it did come from tape...my bad.

Still loving it!
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2007, 01:42:59 PM »

Re: Alright, lets talk about Warmth of the Sun!
« Reply #33 on: Today at 02:40:06 PM »

I said Why Do Fools Fall In Love - while out of place on this comp, at least we finally have the 45 mix of the track. But, after listening to it several times, it sounds sourced from vinyl. There are pops throughout. But that could be just tape noise.

Still loving it!

Shouldn't be any pops on the CD as several people listen to a ref disc with headphones for any stray clicks and pops and they are removed in the final mastering stage. Why Do Fools..... like everything on the disc is sourced from tape and the Sunflower and Surfs Up cuts are from a much better source tape than has been previously used.

Lastly Why Do Fools ..... is the original single mix. I even compared it to my original picture sleeved copy that I bought when the record was released, complete with my name handwritten on the label.

Oh yes and to answer a question from further up.... Wendy was remixed to remove the cough and the talking in the  original stereo mix

Mark
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2007, 08:41:01 PM »

Still loving it!

I think that the compilations 1-3 as well as SOS focussed on hit singles. The reason given (I read it somewhere) for no DW material on Best of Vol 3 was that there were 20 other songs that had charted or were more significant than even Forever or Slip on Through.

For WOTHS I would have replaced DGNTW with a Dennis song or made it 30 tracks a la SOS.
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2007, 09:46:13 PM »

Oh yes and to answer a question from further up.... Wendy was remixed to remove the cough and the talking in the  original stereo mix

Just wondering.....and my clicking copy of Why Do Fools...........bad CD. Got it replaced today. No surface problems, just a bad copy.  Now it sounds great!

I am like everyone else (even though I am a programmer and know my computer hardware inside out). I never think that a CD can be bad. But anything manufactured can have a flaw. If not, there wouldn't be any type of service industries anywhere. As a troubleshooter, I would be out of a job!

Great mastering Mark!

Bob
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2007, 09:57:37 PM »

This is really, really geekish stuff... but is it just me, or is the photo on the front of the new comp the same beach as the one on the back of the SOS booklet ?

Really like the shot of the guys on the back of the CD case.

It is the same as this photo -> http://www.thebeachboys.com/site/images/desktops/BB_01_1024x768.jpg
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2007, 06:56:04 AM »

I'm puzzled as to why the final track Warmth of the Sun is in mono - I thought the whole idea of the Sounds of Summer and this collection was to present the songs in stereo - hence the stereo remixes where possible - and there is a perfectly respectable stereo mix of WOTS to release here.  The mono's on the Good Vibrations box set and Greatest Hits Vol 2, so it's not to give us an unavailable version.
warnakey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2007, 11:01:02 PM »

On the new version of You're So Good To Me...I hate the change at the breakdown from 1:41-1:45. In the original recording someone was still singing "la la la la la la la" and it was mixed down very quietly. Although it may have been an accident, it was one of my favorite features of that song and I still listen for it everytime...

Cry
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 11:02:14 PM by warnakey » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2007, 11:15:11 AM »

On the new version of You're So Good To Me...I hate the change at the breakdown from 1:41-1:45. In the original recording someone was still singing "la la la la la la la" and it was mixed down very quietly. Although it may have been an accident, it was one of my favorite features of that song and I still listen for it everytime...

Cry

I think that was some audio bleed through on the tape... I liked it as well and its the only thing about the new mix I don't like. I miss the "lalalalala" too...
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2007, 09:22:23 AM »

My understanding is that on the new stereo version of "Wendy" that's on THE WARMTH OF THE SUN, an audible cough has been removed.

Thing is, I've just been listening to the original mono version, off of the GOOD VIBRATIONS box set, and for the life of me, I can't hear that cough AT ALL.

Can someone tell me where it is?  And is it possible that the cough was removed BEFORE the new compilation?  Maybe the one on the box set is actually missing the cough too?

Glenn
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2007, 09:33:31 AM »

I can't hear that cough AT ALL.

Can someone tell me where it is?

It's during the organ solo at 1:19 in.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2007, 09:38:21 AM »

I can't hear that cough AT ALL.

Can someone tell me where it is?

It's during the organ solo at 1:19 in.

Thanks.

It's definitely missing from the version on the GOOD VIBRATIONS box set, so I guess the fact that the cough has been removed is actually old news.

Glenn
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2007, 10:45:09 AM »

The cough also isn't in the original mono mix.  A lot of the little anomalies people hear in the stereo mixes aren't in the mono because Brian took them out in the final mixdown.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2007, 01:20:04 PM »

The cough also isn't in the original mono mix.  A lot of the little anomalies people hear in the stereo mixes aren't in the mono because Brian took them out in the final mixdown.

It is interesting for those of us (like me) who entered the picture quite late--in my case, the '90s. We never heard original mixes in many cases, only CD re-releases, and mistake their sound, their mistakes, their improvements, for the originals. I believe S. Desper made that point recently, and a good one it is.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2007, 03:21:28 PM »

Yes it is - when the organ solo is faded down, listen carefully. That's where it is. That's why the organ solo is faded.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2007, 03:29:08 PM »

Yes it is - when the organ solo is faded down, listen carefully. That's where it is. That's why the organ solo is faded.

But was it removed from the version on the GOOD VIBRATIONS box set?  I've listened to it five times today, both through the headphones and through the speakers turned all the way up, and I could not hear it at all.

Glenn
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2007, 10:13:37 PM »

I just bought my copy today. I love the songs they picked for this compilation and I really like the sequencing. Also, the remastering is superb! Mono tracks like 'The Little Girl I Once Knew' sounds so amazing, they need to go back and remaster all of the twofers. That said, I don't think the stereo mixes sound better than Brian's original mono mixes, especially the songs from the Today! album.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2007, 10:17:54 PM »

As with prior posts, my only real complaint is Why Do Fools Fall in Love. Totally out of place. Not only in terms of sequence (awful) but even on the CD at all.

Actually that is one of Brian's best productions and a prime example of a great 'Wall-of-Sound-Alike'.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx