gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680825 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:25:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weezer's "Make Believe" again  (Read 12648 times)
Chris D.
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2006, 08:14:04 PM »

Sounds like you were all about silly pop to me, freak.  I think you should give Nez the blowjob.
PapaNez22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2006, 08:21:24 PM »

Well since you made the damn thing for me, I guess I have no choice but to comply with your request.

I was a 13 year old at that time when Blue came out. I listened to plenty of silly pop music sure. Green Day is plenty silly at times. But Green Day packed a serious punch that Weezer completely lacked. I wanted to 'rock out with my c*ck out,' and Weezer just kind of 'swayed from side to side' to me.
Chris D.
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2006, 08:26:11 PM »

Rock with my c*ck out...I was listening to, uh, Beat Happening at 13...
PapaNez22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2006, 08:29:24 PM »

I don't even know what the hell 'Beat Happening' even is.

Your also talking to a guy who enjoyed 'Master Of Puppets' at the age of 4. The benefits of having an older sister were endless.
Chris D.
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2006, 08:33:58 PM »

The benefits of having an older sister were endless.

Alright, let's keep this clean and on-topic.
PapaNez22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2006, 08:37:45 PM »

Dammit Chris, I'm too tipsy to have you making comments like that. Next thing I know, you'll be trying to get me into your bed.

Not like that would be anything new though
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 08:39:32 PM by PapaNez22 » Logged
Chris D.
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2006, 08:43:10 PM »

Do you like top bunk or bottom?

Boxer, I think the simplicity of the way Rivers expresses himself on this album is perfect, in its way.  It's funny that he's being so sensitive and vulnerable, but celibate.  If any of his music would get him laid, it would be this.
PapaNez22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2006, 08:46:17 PM »

Do you like top bunk or bottom?

HAHAHAHAHA! On that note, I must take my leave as I have things to do before bed.

I'll end by saying this: American Idiot rules, and Make Believe drools.

Some things just never change I guess.

Have yourself a good night broseph.
Chris D.
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2006, 08:47:17 PM »

Sleep tight.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2006, 02:59:36 AM »

"Silly pop" as opposed to... "not silly pop"? 

I don't see what's silly about Holiday.  I wasn't 3 when I fell for that song, I was probably 21. 
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2006, 05:49:23 AM »

I didn't like Sweater when it first came out.

Neither did I, because it is a virtually exact rewrite of "I Bleed" by the Pixies. I had to get over my pissed-offedness at their rip-off before I could get behind the band at all.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2006, 06:05:45 AM »

As a weezer fan I have to say that I like Green a lot more than the typical fan, I enjoy Maladroit, and I don't mind Make Believe. I swear by Pinkerton and most of Blue (I like all of it but I love MNIJ, NOE, and Holiday especially). Songs from the Black Hole is my weak spot, as well. It's probably the reason I still care as much as I do.

Watch out for snakes!
cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2006, 07:01:55 AM »

Weezer's latest sounds very "Blink 182" on their vocals - that white boy suburbia whiny yip-yap vocal production.

Pinkerton's nothing to sneeze at.   

It's nice to see them on the mainstream scene again because their first one was a damn fine album; now in Deluxe Edition.  You know you're getting old when there's "Deluxe Editions" of albums of your late teens are coming out.

But something about the vocals on the latest one...just sounds like something you'd see Abercrombie and Fitch wearing kids listening too.  Very milquetoast suburbia sounding.   The music is very good, but the vox just kill it for me. 

Feh.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2006, 07:10:26 AM »

Funny thing is, he sounds better on this album than on Green and Maladroit. He sounds especially good on This Is Such a Pity.

Watch out for snakes!
Chris D.
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2006, 07:38:26 AM »

"Silly pop" as opposed to... "not silly pop"? 

I don't see what's silly about Holiday.  I wasn't 3 when I fell for that song, I was probably 21. 

Well, a lot of escapism is silly.  It's also more complex than that, but it's a funny song.

CTA, have you ever had to hear a Blink 182 album?  They can't sing for sh*t.
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2006, 10:33:55 AM »

I God, if this band came out with "The Sweater Song" now instead of 10 years ago, people would rake them over the coals for it!

Can't speak for everyone, but I definitely wouldn't. I didn't get into Weezer until 2001, and honestly it was Only In Dreams that got most of my attention the first month I had the Blue Album. And that song, lyrically, is close to the same level as the lyrics on MB. BUT, the big difference between the two albums is the level of attention put into the arrangements. OID is musically orgasmo, and the dynamics of that song and Undone (plus Undone's incredible metaphor) definitely make up for whatever is missing.

My biggest criticism of MB outside of the lyrics are the very basic arrangements. The arrangements aren't that great on the Green Album, but it's hard to question them because they perfectly fit the song structures. Make Believe has no excuse, especially considering the amount of work and time that 'supposedly' went into the album. Lazy arrangements, lazy songwriting, lazy lyric writing.... All from someone who has the potential to write Holiday. All the circumstances don't make sense when listening to the final product, but I still like MB for what it is.

Speaking of Holiday, I don't know what's silly about it (maybe you can explain more of what you mean, Chris). Maybe it is, but the lyrics are beautifully imaginative. And the melody is one of the most articulate and well-built melodies in the history of rock music. You may hate weezer, but you cannot deny the brilliance in that song.

I agree with Mitch. Rivers easily sounds better on this album than he has in years. Maybe even better than Pinkerton. Probably the most pleasant surprise for me.
Chris D.
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2006, 10:55:37 AM »

Speaking of Holiday, I don't know what's silly about it (maybe you can explain more of what you mean, Chris). Maybe it is, but the lyrics are beautifully imaginative. And the melody is one of the most articulate and well-built melodies in the history of rock music.

Here...

Let's go away for a while
You and I
To a strange and distant land
Where they speak no word of truth
But we don't understand anyway

Holiday
far away to stay
on a Holiday
Far away Let's go today
In a Heartbeat!

Don't bother to pack your bags
Or your map
We won't need them where we're goin'
We're goin' where the wind is blowin'
Not knowin' where we're gonna stay

We will write a postcard
To our friends and family
In free verse

On the road with Kerouac
Sheltered in his Bivouac
On this road we'll never die...
Let's go away!

It's silly because he uses language more formal than most people would.  Unless you constantly brag about writing emails to your friends in free verse, of course.  He also throws in cliches ("We're goin' where the wind is blowin'") and goofy rhymes (Kerouac/Bivouac) to constrast the more formal stuff.  Everyone can relate to what he's saying -- you just want to get away.  It's the way he tries to make a myth out of this trip he hasn't even been on that's funny.

You may hate weezer, but you cannot deny the brilliance in that song.

I don't know, I think it's one of the weaker songs on the album.  I always thought that this, "Undone," "Surf Wax," and "In Dreams" were a little trying.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2006, 12:25:33 PM »

Another example of why I'm glad I don't care about lyrics.  I mean, I happen to love Holiday's lyrics, but he could be singing "penis vagina penis vagina watermelon" for all the syllables and it's still a classic melody and powerful performance for mine.
Chris D.
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2006, 12:27:20 PM »

Why does that make you glad that you don't care about lyrics?  I'm not saying silly is bad.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2006, 12:30:19 PM »

"penis vagina penis vagina watermelon"

Don't be posting mine and Chris D's lyrics without express written permission.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2006, 12:32:39 PM »

"penis vagina penis vagina watermelon"

Don't be posting mine and Chris D's lyrics without express written permission.

That was one of your more inspired bridges, Ian.  I still get misty eyed when I listen to our Songs From the Porcelain Throne.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2006, 12:39:25 PM »

Why does that make you glad that you don't care about lyrics?  I'm not saying silly is bad.

You said it was one of the weaker songs on the album.  You're saying that it's weak not because of the lyrics but some other facet?
Chris D.
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2006, 12:45:39 PM »

Yeah, sorry for being confusing.  I think the lyrics are funny in a silly way.  Overall I don't think the song is that great, though.  It's grown on me, but I never connected much to the music or the lyrics, even though I don't think either are terrible.  Too sing-songy, I guess.  If it were done in the style of something like Phil Spector or Pet Sounds, I'd like it more.  I think the performance pulls the song down.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 12:47:22 PM by Chris D. » Logged
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2006, 12:59:01 PM »

It is a very simple arrangement, but I think it works well for the song. Sometimes a Pet Sounds-esque arrangement can put a shadow on a great melody..how Brian got away with it is amazing. I can see how the arrangement brings it down for you Chris, because it is the weak spot (if there is one). I'm surprised the performance doesn't do it for you. I think it's his best vocal, ever, easily.

I see what you mean about the lyrics being silly.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2006, 12:59:12 PM »

The performance of Holiday is the highlight of the album for me. Great vocals there, especially at the last part where he goes up, and the sheer joy at the end with the "wahoo" is worth noting. It's definitely sing-songy, but I love that aspect of it and much of weezer's output in general. My voice is almost matched with Rivers' range, so I can belt those songs out to my heart's content.

Watch out for snakes!
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx