gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 09:30:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The little old lady from pasadena  (Read 3565 times)
halblaineisgood
« on: May 20, 2007, 03:53:56 PM »

Huh, I never realized until recently, how great of a track this is.  It reminds me of smile. It sounds like its before its time, and with the humor and everything....Jan Berry is a fine producer, and does anybody know if that's earl or hal on drums?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 05:13:21 PM »

It's a great track.  The lyrics I think are just off the hook and of course the melody is killer. 

"The Little ol' Lady from Pasedena
Has a pretty little flower bed of White Gardenias"

Think how ludicrious that is, but yet it's a great line. 

My favorite 4 Jan & Berry Songs (In Order)

1. Surf City
2. The Little Ol' Lady From Pasedena
3. Baby Talk
4. Deadman's Curve
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 09:32:18 PM »

Listen to these outtakes . . . and you'll gain an even better appreciation of "Little Old Lady" . . . and everything Jan Berry put into the production. Concentrate on the rhythm section, brass, and backing vocals. You'll hear things a lot more plainly . . . more than you can hear on the final production for the single release. That's P. F. Sloan on falsetto.

It's complex stuff . . . and fascinating how some of the same musicians sound a lot different on Jan's productions than they do on Brian Wilson's . . . Diffferent approaches . . . different production styles.

The drums are Hal Blaine and Earl Palmer playing together live in the studio at the same time . . . not the noodling, but during the song itself (and Hal counts them off).

It's a really tight percussion sound (hard to achieve in tandem), and you can hear the doubling best on the toms and hi-hat . . . But on the intercut, you can hear the snare drums start to separate a little bit toward the end, causing a bit of a "flam" sound . . . betraying two drummers.

I've interviewed both of them . . . and Hal pretty much says they doubled all of Jan's Screen Gems era productions. Earl remembers doubling the parts as well, but wasn't sure if they did it all the time.

Enjoy . . .

JAN & DEAN

The Little Old Lady from Pasadena
Studio Outtakes, 1964:

Instrumental Track

Intercut (track)

Track with Backing Vocals and Brass

Track with Harmonica and Backing Vocals and Brass (plus more falsetto and bass vocals)

M.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 09:37:43 PM by Mark A. Moore » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 06:18:28 PM »

I've been listening to these four "school" related tracks. They are so innocent yet so complex. Great hooks in all of them :

1. New Girl In School
2. Horace The Swinging School Bus Driver
3. It's As Easy As 1-2-3
4. When It's Over
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:43:37 PM »

im wondering, how does it sound like Smile to you...i'd love to hear some insight

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
halblaineisgood
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 08:27:35 PM »

im wondering, how does it sound like Smile to you...i'd love to hear some insight

the harmonica
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 05:58:04 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 08:34:21 PM »

thanks for those tracks, mark a moore......they are amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx