gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680810 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:50:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone's Axl Rose piece  (Read 11024 times)
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2006, 03:23:53 PM »

Well I haven't followed the VR story too closely but Slash and the boy's long search for a vocalist was well documented in the press. Scott probably didn't want to stray too far away from what was already established within in the songs placed in front of him. Who knows how long the other guys noodled about on some of those riffs? I for one wouldn't get in the way of Slash's pisswind.

Now, Stone Temple Pilots... if they ever get their act back together and tour I'm definitely there for that show. I actually caught a (rare) Weiland solo gig at a radio festival in DC in 1998 but wasn't quite hipped to Weiland solo or STP at the time.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2006, 03:48:28 PM »

Weiland was clean during the recording of Shangri-La Di Da ( the last STP disc), but relapsed on tour. During those sessions, the band recorded IMHO their best music- Weiland admitted in a Rolling Stone interview that Pet Sounds was their chief inspiration. Love the quote at the end ..."But I look better in a dress than Brian Wilson does".

Now, for the first VR disc...Weiland was using. He didn't clean up until the album was nearly finished.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2006, 03:53:31 PM »

I love "Shangra La Dee Da"-- it's their second best album, close behind "Tiny Music" and most people haven't heard it.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2006, 05:55:11 PM »

Well I haven't followed the VR story too closely but Slash and the boy's long search for a vocalist was well documented in the press. Scott probably didn't want to stray too far away from what was already established within in the songs placed in front of him. Who knows how long the other guys noodled about on some of those riffs? I for one wouldn't get in the way of Slash's pisswind.

Now, Stone Temple Pilots... if they ever get their act back together and tour I'm definitely there for that show. I actually caught a (rare) Weiland solo gig at a radio festival in DC in 1998 but wasn't quite hipped to Weiland solo or STP at the time.

They were no great shakes live. One of the worst drummers in rock.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2006, 07:02:23 PM »

If you're talking about STP, I disagree. Eric Kretz wasn't a bad drummer at all.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2006, 07:03:42 PM »

He didn't hit the damn drums hard enough. For my ears.

Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2006, 09:12:27 PM »

I'm probably botching these terms all to hell but I think Kretz's drumming on Purple damn near makes the record-- it's polyrthymic and somehow Arabic and adds a flair to the band that other pseudo grunge acts have lacked.
Chris D.
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2006, 09:15:33 PM »

it's polyrthymic and somehow Arabic and adds a flair to the band that other pseudo grunge acts have lacked.

That's what Lester Bangs and I said when we got Ian drunk for his birthday.  It had a definite puke-on-macadam vibe.
DavidLeeRoth
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2006, 09:25:36 PM »

First off Eat'em and Smile is as good as any Van Halen album period.  BTW he has the largest free radio show on the east coast so I think that counts as something.

Supposedly VR recorded the "best instrumental GN'R album" of all time with Izzy Stradlin before Scott came on board. I would much rather have heard that.   I won't take away anything from the Tiny Music era, but after that release they were really insonsistant.  Especially No. 4.  STP never did anything Redd Kross or Enuff Z'Nuff didn't do better sorry.

Next up VR is making a concept album, how much you wanna bet it's about how much Scott hates the press?

DLR
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2006, 10:01:11 PM »

STP never did anything Redd Kross or Enuff Z'Nuff didn't do better sorry.

Word.

Boxer Monkey
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2006, 10:12:35 PM »

STP never did anything Redd Kross or Enuff Z'Nuff didn't do better sorry.

Word.

Double word! I've been listening to Redd Kross a lot lately, specifically the "Switchblade Sisters" EP. "What's Wrong With Me" has gotta be the best thing the band ever did!

And speaking of the Kross, any fans of the Quick here? (Ian, surely ... ) The Quick wrote every trick in the Cheap Trick power-pop book. Great, overlooked band.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2006, 10:31:15 PM »

Of course, The Quick are just incredible.
What Redd Kross stuff do you have, Boxer?

cta
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2006, 07:09:06 AM »

Appetite is AWESOME.  Perfect blend of blues and punk with a heavy helping of obsession with the female anatomy.

UYI 1 & 2 are really good as well.  They're not "pisswind".

Spaghetti Incedent...pure garbage...or pisswind. 

We're gonna milk that word!

The list of "VIP's at the particular show Axl was interviewing at sounds like Moron Central.   Those people are hot items if you consider yourself trailer trash.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 07:12:08 AM by cta » Logged

Feh.
DavidLeeRoth
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2006, 12:19:01 PM »

Looks like I better check out the Quick cause I love me some Cheap Trick

DLR

Just checked amazon...are they only available on vinyl?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 12:23:37 PM by DavidLeeRoth » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2006, 12:23:29 PM »

You'll love 'em.

DavidLeeRoth
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2006, 08:50:46 PM »

help
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2006, 09:03:31 PM »

Lessee, Redd Kross ... I think I got everything, in one format or another. "Teen Babes" I got on cassette, same with Tater Totz, which I just burned to CD. Have you heard that one? It's got Cherie Currie doing "Instant Karma" and all other kinds of Beatles wack. Another great, lost Beatles-related Redd Kross track is their BBC version of "It Won't Be Long" that uses the Quick's arrangement. Killer!

The Quick! I knew you'd dig the Quick! Have you heard the Untold Rock Stories disc with their assorted demos? Staggeringly great ... "You, Yeah You" ... "Jimmy Too Bad" ... they just defy hyperbole. Hard to believe the singer went on to sing the theme from "Friends" -- ugh. But the Quick! The Quick!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 09:09:21 PM by Boxer DonkeyBBQ » Logged
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2006, 09:06:38 PM »

DLR: This is the one to get, dude:

Try here:

http://www.cherryred.co.uk/revola/artists/quick.htm

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2006, 01:54:25 AM »

Yep, got that. Incredible.
Glad you dig the Kross. I love the Totz too, I was there at the Beatlefest show where they did the 20-minute Don't Worry Kyoko and got booted off the stage.

trumpet sounds
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2006, 09:43:47 AM »

You can't beat the opening one-two punch of Redd Kross's Show World: "Pretty Please Me" and "Stoned" 
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx