gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680778 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 04:56:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rolling Stone's Axl Rose piece  (Read 10973 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2006, 06:45:06 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/9155514

"People are gonna hear music this year."

Does it still matter? Did it ever matter? Will I lose my bet that said JD Salinger's Hapworth book would come out before Chinese Democracy?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
DavidLeeRoth
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 07:48:21 AM »

If it came out I think it would make a difference.  There aren't many rock stars the world cares about anymore, but Axl is still held up to God like status especially at Rolling Stone.  Axl is the second best song writer in the band behind Izzy Stradlin so if the bands line-up is great and he's had all this time to write great songs there's no reason why this album shouldn't be amazing.  I was scheduled to see him the show after the Philly riot last time and if he would tour...well I'd be there.

DLR
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 08:02:52 AM »

I'm a huge fan of "Appetite" and "Appetite" only, the rest of GNR is by and large misguided pomp and pisswind. (I think I just coined "pisswind" but that's precisely what it is.)

I will however check out "Chinese Democracy" if it ever drops and consider checking out a tour, if that ever happens.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 08:14:00 AM »

First of all, pisswind is the greatest word I've read in a long, long time, and I congratulate you on your invention!

I'm in the same boat, though, regarding the album: I don't really think it will be worth a damn, and haven't cared (musically) a bit what happens to GnR since I was about 16 years old...but I'll buy Chinese Democracy on curiosity alone.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

DavidLeeRoth
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 03:22:37 PM »

I find it hard to believe ANYONE didn't enjoy the acoustic side of Lies.  UYI were overblown, but I still like'em.

DLR
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 03:24:13 PM »

I find it hard to believe ANYONE didn't enjoy the acoustic side of Lies. 

How about the thousands (or millions?) of people insulted by the lyrics? Do you find it hard to believe they didn't like it?

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 03:24:48 PM »

f*** 'em if they can't take a joke.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 03:39:13 PM »

So wouldn't releasing another G'n'R album just be more pissing into the, um, pisswind?
Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 03:42:18 PM »

yeah, but winds change sometimes.
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 03:56:32 PM »

I still prefer to be upwind of the whole G'n'R trip.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 04:13:04 PM »

The only GnR'ers worth a damn currently have Scott Weiland as their vocalist as Velvet Revolver, which is a *huge* step up the evolutionary ladder.

Will I lose my bet that said JD Salinger's Hapworth book would come out before Chinese Democracy?

F*ck that! SMiLE came out and  Pink Floyd played together again, and Chinese Democracy still hasn't come out.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 04:18:51 PM »

foda 'em if they can't take a joke.

I'm not arguing that. I just said it seems easy to believe that they didn't like it.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 04:19:24 PM »

The only GnR'ers worth a damn currently have Scott Weiland as their vocalist as Velvet Revolver, which is a *huge* step up the evolutionary ladder.

Will I lose my bet that said JD Salinger's Hapworth book would come out before Chinese Democracy?

F*ck that! SMiLE came out and  Pink Floyd played together again, and Chinese Democracy still hasn't come out.

I don't see what Smile and Pink Floyd have to do with me (maybe) losing my bet.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 04:22:53 PM »

Nothing, just made me realize  how long that blasted thing has been discussed. I mean, SMiLE came out, and Axl still can't get his sh*t together?! That's just weak. Axl seriously needs to give it up. Nobody cares anymore.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 04:26:42 PM »

Nobody cares anymore.

It continues being written about, so somebody must. Hell, I admit that I do, and I don't even think there's more than about a 1% chance I'm going to like it. My tastes having changed in the past decade or two, I don't even like most of the GnR I liked when it came out the first time. But I admit I'm still curious about it.

Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2006, 05:35:26 PM »

Two things need to happen for VR to be truly great: The band needs to let Weiland a) write songs and b) shoot up.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2006, 09:21:06 PM »

The songs Axl did (for that Arnold Schwarnegger movie "End Of Days) with the new Gn'R sucked hard. Sounded like bad Trent Reznor, sort of like merdaty techno and a lot of screaming. I have no doubt that this Chinese Democracy album is total garbage. I read in the New York Times that 11 million dollars have been spent making the album over a ten year period.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 06:26:00 AM »

Plus: if it does come out, who the hell are his band anymore? Buckethead: bye bye. Tommy Stinson: bye bye, he's with the reformed Soul Asylum. What, a drummer? Is that what's left? A drummer, some dodgy fake cornrows to mask a bald head, some creepy plastic surgery, and people still care?

Meh. And I was one of the biggeset GnR fans I know. I agree: the best GnR related band has Weiland for their singer. Their NEXT album will undoubtedly be righteous. The last one was pretty righteous, but lacked hooks. I see some minor greatness in their future.

Granted, "Illusion" had plenty of pisswind, but it was still a great, ambitious f-ing record. Lies was almost perfect, really, and I really like the Spaghetti Incident as well.
DavidLeeRoth
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 07:14:11 AM »

Velvet Revolver is a joke and the only good thing Weiland ever did (besides being arrested) was Tiny Music.

DLR
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 02:42:51 PM »

What?! Please tell me your joking.

And don't *even* get me started on David Lee Roth and what he has "accomplished".

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 02:57:01 PM »

Weiland's solo album was brilliant.
But so was ALL of DLR's work with Van Halen.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 03:01:08 PM »

Yes, on both counts.

I was referring to DLR's solo career, and his brief reunion with VH.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 03:01:48 PM »

Grin

Beckner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 03:01:53 PM »

Weiland's solo album was brilliant.
I agree. And I doubly agree that VR just needs hooks-- most of the music of that album was finished before they brought in Weiland.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 03:05:15 PM »

Including the vocal parts and melodies?
Because that's how the first albums by Pearl Jam and Garbage were done as well, and those vocalists sure brought the hooks to the table.
I think Weiland needs drugs, as you noted before.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx