gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:58:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: POB, I FOUND IT!  (Read 13743 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2006, 10:53:57 PM »

at an antique store, i found it for 15 $! I also bought Holland, Love You, and Wild Honey (the only one that was still in the shrink wrap). I also found the GV single and Never Learn not to love Singe which i bought for 7$ each....I also found but didnt buy Ten Years of Harmony on vinyl, is that a rarity? Anyone know how much the POB on vinyl is worth? How many copies made?

Image hosting by Photobucket

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 11:15:43 PM »

you lucky bastard.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 11:33:06 PM »

i am lucky, arnt I? a lonely city in western Indiana, i found it! I knew when I saw WILSON, i was in for a treat!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 12:25:51 AM »

I still remember back around '93 or '94 when, as a relatively new fan, I was looking for all the Caribou single CD's that had been out of print since '91.  There were still a lot of them floating around out there...but some titles were easier to find than others.  "Surf's Up", "Sunflower" and "Keepin' The Summer Alive" were easy finds, however "15 Big Ones", "MIU" and "Carl & The Passions: So Tough" were more difficult.

One that I NEVER expected to find was POB.  But one fateful day, I was CD shopping down El Cajon Blvd., which is a seedy part of San Diego.  We hit at least three or four stops that day.  POB was easy to find on vinyl, but something made me hold out some hope of finding the CD.  Well, at my VERY LAST stop, which was a very small run-down store that would soon close down, and was at least 10 blocks out of the way, I could not believe my eyes...a treasure trove of so many of the Caribou CD's I had been looking for.  Here's what I bought at that store that day:

MIU (Still In Longbox)...$9.99
Ten Years Of Harmony (Still In Longbox)...I believe it was $15.99
Carl & The Passions (Still In Longbox)...$9.99
Sun, Surf & Balloons (Polyphone Boot)...about $22
Landlocked (Polyphone Boot)..about $22
Brian Wilson & Beach Boys Solos (Polyphone Boot)...about $22

And most importantly:

Pacific Ocean Blue.....Still In the Longbox!!!!!!!!.......$10.99!!!

I have never seen with my own eyes another real copy of the POB CD....I've seen pictures on ebay, but not another actual CD.  I laminated the longboxes I bought that day.  That find was the best I had ever encountered...being a poor college student, I didn't have money for the California Feeling Polyphone Boot, something I never saw again...(I was only a couple bucks short).  I also passed up a KTSA in longbox because I already had that used. 

And so I went home, super tired from a full day of driving (I was a relatively new driver at the time...just 17 or 18) in a strange place, and I still remember putting POB on in my bedroom and hearing those sounds for the first time as I was half asleep...this remains one of my best Beach Boys related memories, one that I have posted many times in different groups and on different boards...

Good vibes,
Eric

::edit::

Wow...I've made it to "Honored Guest"Huh  Never expected that...thanks Charles, I feel very honored!  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 12:38:53 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 06:49:14 AM »

I love your stories!  Here's mine:

A friend in Germany picked up the album on CD in the late '90s, but not being a BB fan wasn't enamored of it.  I expressed strong interest in it...and he said he would trade it for Natalie Merchant's Ophelia.  I ran right over to my fave used record store and there it was, in the used CD bins for $7.00.  I snapped it up, posted it, and got the Euro version of POB in return!!!  The only difference that i can see is that the disc tray is red, and there was a Euro-centric insert - you know, get these titles, or whatever.  So basically i got POB for $7 plush a few bucks' shipping. 

I probably shouldn't mention that i spent more on LBWL on vinyl, in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, it wasn't as bad as everyone was saying...

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 07:07:51 AM »

I once saw POB in a used record-market, it was before I really knew much about the BBs, and since I already bought  Surf's up that day, I didn't buy POB. I could kick my ass now therefore. But anyway, I got the album now, but not the original LP.... Roll Eyes
BTW Susan, this happened in Germany in the late 90s, too... Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 07:45:53 AM »

So....what?  Germans just don't get Dennis?  Is that it?
;-)

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 08:57:39 AM »

Seems like that, but then there are some who do....
To tell the truth, I think the Beach Boys' status in music is very low in Germany. They are just considered a party-band and nothing else, even more than in other countries.... Roll Eyes

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 09:32:54 AM »

To tell the truth, I think the Beach Boys' status in music is very low in Germany. They are just considered a party-band and nothing else, even more than in other countries.... Roll Eyes
There is some truth to it...do you know what Beach Boys song was the next German single charts entry after Breakaway (which reached number 29 in 1969)? Wipe Out in 1987 (number 30).
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 09:35:41 AM »

Awesome find!  I'm so happy (and a little envious) for you!!!  :D

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 09:47:55 AM »

There is some truth to it...do you know what Beach Boys song was the next German single charts entry after Breakaway (which reached number 29 in 1969)? Wipe Out in 1987 (number 30).

Of course it's true... Wink  That's also a reason why Brian's cocnerts over here aren't selling very good.....

- Jack Rieley
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 11:36:13 AM »

Of course it's true... ;)  That's also a reason why Brian's cocnerts over here aren't selling very good.....
Concerts? What concerts?

(I had tickets for Berlin last summer. No promotion whatsoever, and then cancelled because of the Live 8).
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 12:14:57 PM »

In 2002 there were two, in Hamburg and Berlin. There was almost no promotion and in an article (still have it) I'd read they said that all tickets were sold, so I didn't buy any. After the concerts it as told that many tickets weren't sold and the audience wasn't big. With that kind of promotion you can't sell out the houses.
I was at the Smile-concert in Frankfurt in 2004, which hat better promotion and it was almost sold out I think.

- Jack Rieley
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 02:30:36 PM »

I was at the Smile-concert in Frankfurt in 2004, which hat better promotion and it was almost sold out I think.
I was at the same concert, and it was the only one that almost sold out. Great great concert, fabulous audience.

Berlin 2002 was one third empty, and that after moving it from the big hall to the medium one in the last minute.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2006, 02:20:26 AM »

I would go so far and say that Germans generally have a bad music-taste. Except me of course.

P.S. I think the biggest BB-hit in Germany was "Sloop John B", if I remember correctly.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2006, 03:32:40 AM »

I would go so far and say that Germans generally have a bad music-taste. Except me of course.

Whoa, won't you remember Andreas and me...? Wink
But you're right, the generally music taste in Germany is really awful.

I think it's true that Sloop  was their biggest hit over here, but I'm not quite sure

- Jack Rieley
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2006, 03:38:54 AM »

I think it's true that Sloop  was their biggest hit over here, but I'm not quite sure
German chart positions:
Fun, Fun, Fun     #49     4/64
I Get Around    #38    8/64
Little Honda    #44    1/65
Help Me, Rhonda    #10    9/65
Barbara Ann    #2    4/66
Sloop John B    #1    6/66
God Only Knows    #22    10/66
Good Vibrations    #8    1/67
Wendy    #37    7/67
Heroes And Villains    #34    10/67
Do It Again    #4    10/68
I Can Hear Music    #13    5/69
Break Away    #29    8/69
Wipeout [w/ The Fat Boys]    #30    10/87
Kokomo    #7    1/89
Don't Worry Baby [w/The Everly Brothers]    #41    3/89
Still Cruisin'    #51    10/89
Hot Fun In The Summertime    #75    8/93
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2006, 04:46:58 AM »

Thanks Andreas. I think "Fun Fun Fun" with Status Quo also charted. Around #45 or something I believe.....

- Jack Rieley
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2006, 04:53:45 AM »

And SMiLE reached #22 on the album-charts.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2006, 05:15:52 AM »

At least, Do It Again and Breakway charted much higher than in the US  Smiley
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2006, 06:43:32 AM »

I'll tell you another one of those Caribou CDs that are incredibly hard to find is Ten Years of Harmony.  I've only seen one copy.  That one, like the Caribou MIU CD, has the wrong mix of Come Go With Me.

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 08:47:35 AM »

Ah, there are a few advantages to being middle-aged...never having to search out POB is one of them. I bought the vinyl the day it came out in '77 (I remember thinking, "This is a lot better than 'Love You'" - still feel that way!). I grabbed a used CD copy around '91. Downside? I may not live long enough to hear a reissued/remastered version with bonus tracks! Congratulations Punkinhead - perhaps your find will result in some form of cosmic irony that will cause the reissue to be released immediately.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 12:34:44 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2006, 09:43:13 AM »

thanx roger for actually getting back to topic here

~post of the century~
-Mikie

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2006, 12:34:22 PM »

This whole thread has been on foda topic.
It's way more interesting to read about the BB's German popularity than about WOW I FOUND POB, HOW RARE IS IT!??
I've got 5 copies, they show up all the time in LA. *yawn*

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Kirk Lowdermilk
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2006, 01:10:27 PM »

Someone's wearing the cranky pants today.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx