gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681013 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 02:20:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When did Brian appear on stage with the BB for the last time?  (Read 4762 times)
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2007, 05:27:13 AM »

Has he ever been on stage with the BB after the Nashville show in '96?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 05:29:27 AM by shelter » Logged
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 06:07:04 AM »

Brian's last gig with the band was 9/8/96, Navy Pier, Chicago.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 01:22:13 PM »

Not yet.......?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 01:31:45 PM »

sept 8 1996- chicgo navy pier
MBE
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 03:12:59 PM »

He appeared rarely after Dennis died. I bet about 4 shows in 1995-6, and about 4-5 a year from 84-90.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 04:33:26 PM »

Would I be right in saying that this August 96 Letterman show would have been the last televised concert together?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP3_WoUQe84
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 06:23:35 AM »

Again- Sept 8 1996 Chicago- That was his last app with the group
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 08:18:10 AM »

I think Cam Mott's response was meant to imply that Brian may still appear on a stage with the Beach Boys at some point in the future. In other words, Sept. 8th, 1996 may not altogether be the last time even if it's the most recent.
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 02:17:01 AM »

...unless someone is able to peer into the future and confirm that Sept. 8 1996 is the date Brian did appear with the BBs for the last time.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 03:19:51 AM »

...unless someone is able to peer into the future and confirm that Sept. 8 1996 is the date Brian did appear with the BBs for the last time.

Cam... love ya man, but sometimes... [deep intake of breath]

OK - the most recent show during which Brian shared the stage with the Beach Boys was 9/8/96 in Chicago. Which by Pink Floyd standards was yesterday.  Roll Eyes

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2007, 11:52:25 AM »

[giggle]

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2007, 12:10:08 PM »

Health permitting, I'd say there's a better than 50% chance Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce & Dave will appear on stage again to perform at least one song. Tongue
Pim_Derks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2007, 12:22:17 PM »

In the Letterman video, who's the guy on the left of Bruce & Al ?
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2007, 12:35:05 PM »

In the Letterman video, who's the guy on the left of Bruce & Al ?

That'd be none other than Matt Jardine, perhaps the best BB falsetto singer since Brian.  No offense to my good buddy Jeff Foskett, but Matt has always had a slight edge when I rank Brian's "replacements", tho Fosky is a very close 2nd.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2007, 01:19:27 PM »

Health permitting, I'd say there's a better than 50% chance Brian, Mike, Al, Bruce & Dave will appear on stage again to perform at least one song. Tongue

Talking the legal climate into consideration (not to mention the mindset of Brian's people), I'd say there's less 10% chance of them sharing a stage again.

MBE
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2007, 03:51:12 PM »

Talking the legal climate into consideration (not to mention the mindset of Brian's people), I'd say there's less 10% chance of them sharing a stage again.

May be the case. Sad though as like I said Bruce and Mike are doing much better shows that would mesh well with Brian's.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2007, 06:13:49 PM »

May be the case. Sad though as like I said Bruce and Mike are doing much better shows that would mesh well with Brian's.

Yes, the setlists are starting to appear more similar. As are the participants. Brian now has Al, Jeff Foskett, and Billy Hinsche. Mike has Bruce, Mike Kowalsi, and sometimes David Marks. Now just call up Matt Jardine, Mike Meros, and Ed Carter...You'd have some pretty good harmonies.

Brian wouldn't have to carry the entire lead vocal load, as long as he didn't get bored. Yes, it can never be the same without Carl, but with Jeff Foskett and/or Matt Jardine, they could get by. If they would just stop suing each other...
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2007, 07:49:38 PM »

Yes, the setlists are starting to appear more similar. As are the participants. Brian now has Al, Jeff Foskett, and Billy Hinsche. Mike has Bruce, Mike Kowalsi, and sometimes David Marks. Now just call up Matt Jardine, Mike Meros, and Ed Carter...You'd have some pretty good harmonies.

Brian wouldn't have to carry the entire lead vocal load, as long as he didn't get bored. Yes, it can never be the same without Carl, but with Jeff Foskett and/or Matt Jardine, they could get by. If they would just stop suing each other...

After Carl died my interest in them doing anything at all together again pretty much dissipated.  I guess it wouldn't hurt if they got onstage again but I can't picture it being a remarkable performance (with the exception of them actually getting along)...

Besides these guys are already in their mid-60's.  They'd be better off touring as the Oak Ridge Boys.   Grin

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2007, 09:06:34 AM »

It could be a nice one-off gig to say goodbye.  Of course, with Mike involved, he would never just ride off into the sunset.  I can't believe the chances are as high as 10%.  Ok, maybe 10%.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 09:21:52 AM »

Unless it helps them resolve their own personal issues (for themselves, not for fans who want it for whatever reason), I have to say I have no interest in that crew getting together and pretending to be the Beach Boys. It has been about 40 years since they were consistently important commercially, 30 since they were even close to consistently worthwhile artistically, more than 20 since they lost "the real Beach Boy" and thus (arguably) the real right to consider any ongoing act "The Beach Boys" and 10 since what appeared to be their final chance at a last hurrah (Paley sessions-era/Don Was album...and what, three songs begun and in varying states of completion?) and the loss of Carl.

In my opinion (and admittedly in large part for the sake of argument), any reunion is far too little (due to those not there) and far, far too late. Burying personal demons for the participants, fine. For anyone else...whatever floats your boat, but not for me, thanks. It could barely appeal to me less.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2007, 10:29:41 AM »

Well, it took me a while to accept it, but I doubt there will be a reunion.
What I'd like to see is another thing like the rooftop-reunion (maybe for "Warmth of the sun") only this time they do an impromptu acapella "Surfer girl", and that's it. That could be a nice end to the group (from my view) which I'd appreciate.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 12:55:22 PM »

I agree, although I would also like to hear one more Their Hearts Were Full of Spring seeing as thats how they kind of started, a fitting ending!
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2007, 09:59:12 PM »

When was the last time all 3 Wilson brothers appeared together (and played) at a Beach Boys  show?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 10:00:30 PM by mikee » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2007, 11:00:29 PM »

Technically, 9/26/83 at the LA County fairgrounds, Pomona CA: although he was theoretically suspended from the band, Dennis blagged his way on stage and drummed for one song during the encore. If you're talking full show, it would be earlier in the month - Jon would know for sure, but the name Syracuse rings a bell.

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 12:01:39 AM »

Technically, 9/26/83 at the LA County fairgrounds, Pomona CA: although he was theoretically suspended from the band, Dennis blagged his way on stage and drummed for one song during the encore. If you're talking full show, it would be earlier in the month - Jon would know for sure, but the name Syracuse rings a bell.

According to Eric's setlist website, Brian wasn't at the show in Pomona.

Pacific Ampitheatre, Costa Mesa, CA on August 3, 1983 or possibly a show in Napa Valley on August 4 is listed as the last show with all 3 Wilsons.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 12:04:54 AM by shelter » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx