gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681294 Posts in 27630 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 01, 2024, 03:09:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tune X or Tones  (Read 8353 times)
ShenzhenLost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2007, 03:48:44 PM »

i found a segment of music which was posted on youtube by a member of SmileySmile.   Smile-era Sound & Footage is the name of the video.  at one point in the video it goes into a section which is very Hawaiian sounding (apparently this was written by Carl and produced by Brian).  it comes in just after the 'Little Pad' refrain 'by the sea that's where i'll build a pad in hawaii'.  i have not been able to find the source of this piece of music.  does anyone know where i can find this to possibly download it? 
markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 06:04:27 PM »

Second that request. I never heard that piece until I saw that Youtube video. I love it. Don't have it. Say no more.

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 08:38:45 PM »

I have it email me with your email and i will send it to you Smokin
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 12:43:50 AM »

That's "Mona Kani", "Mono Kanau", or some variation on same - it's a Dennis/Stevie Kalinich track first recorded 11/15/68. Been doing the collector's rounds for a good few years.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
XY
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 01:41:17 AM »

That's "Mona Kani", "Mono Kanau", or some variation on same - it's a Dennis/Stevie Kalinich track first recorded 11/15/68. Been doing the collector's rounds for a good few years.

Wait a moment. Isn't "Mona Kani" that instrumental on Get The Boot? What ShenzhenLost means is the "Tune X" instrumental, recorded in March 1967, available on Secret SMiLE CD 2.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 01:43:58 AM by Jasper » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 03:40:14 AM »

The song in the youtube video that he's asking about is "Mona Kani". Recorded when I said it was, and not  in 1967.  Because it's not "Tones" or "Tune X".
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 03:42:13 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 04:01:31 AM »

Then what is "Tones" or "Tune X"? I had always thought it was that particular piece...  Huh

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 04:07:14 AM »

From Lou Shenk's indispensable Smile Primer:

Tones/Tune X (C. Wilson)
Track recorded March 3, 1967 with 10 musicians at Sound Recorders.  Additional sessions held March 15 with 3 musicians at Western, March 31 (as Tune X) with 8 musicians at Sound Recorders, and April 11 (as Tones Part 3) with 5 musicians at Western.  Vocals recorded March 13 (5 vocalists) at Sound Recorders. 

Carl and Dennis each produced a track with studio musicians during the Smile sessions.  Whether this was a conscious effort to make the “late” Smile more of a group effort than a solo Brian project or if it was simply for them to test their own production mettle is unknown.  The project number for the track sent to Capitol was 31-5526 – Smile’s project number.  The mysterious Tune X (Tones) session has been confirmed to be Carl’s Tones

ShenzhenLost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 04:53:37 AM »

Thanks very much Wiggbuggie.  i would really appreciate if you could help.  Thanks to everyone for their info on the piece of music. 
i've sent you an email Wiggbuggie.

thanks again to everyone!
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 05:22:07 AM »

From Lou Shenk's indispensable Smile Primer:

Tones/Tune X (C. Wilson)
Track recorded March 3, 1967 with 10 musicians at Sound Recorders.  Additional sessions held March 15 with 3 musicians at Western, March 31 (as Tune X) with 8 musicians at Sound Recorders, and April 11 (as Tones Part 3) with 5 musicians at Western.  Vocals recorded March 13 (5 vocalists) at Sound Recorders. 

Carl and Dennis each produced a track with studio musicians during the Smile sessions.  Whether this was a conscious effort to make the “late” Smile more of a group effort than a solo Brian project or if it was simply for them to test their own production mettle is unknown.  The project number for the track sent to Capitol was 31-5526 – Smile’s project number.  The mysterious Tune X (Tones) session has been confirmed to be Carl’s Tones

Thanks a lot Andrew! Would you happen to know if Carl's "Tune X / Tones" has been b**ted somewhere?  Huh Because the only tracks labeled "Tones" or "Tune X" I've heard were either "Holidays" (what become "On A Holiday") or the piece heard on the YouTube video...
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 05:26:22 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 07:02:59 AM »

The mysterious Tune X (Tones) session has been confirmed to be Carl’s Tones

In the past, there was some debate as to whether Tune X (Tones) was a Brian Wilson produced/involved track, or actually a Carl Wilson produced track. Andrew's above quote is the most definitive answer I've seen that it is Carl's track. His word is good enough for me. I'm removing Tune X (Tones) from my SMiLE mix immediately!  police
XY
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 07:08:15 AM »

The song in the youtube video that he's asking about is "Mona Kani". Recorded when I said it was, and not  in 1967.  Because it's not "Tones" or "Tune X".

Thanks for your answer, AGD.
Please don't take this personal, but...

Fact is, the song on Secret SMiLE was produced by Brian, since you can hear him talk from the control room.
What I hear are exactly the instruments that were used during the March 3, 1967 session (violas, violins, cellos, drums & guitars)
The songs on Secret SMiLE are ordered chronologically and this instrumental is there between "My Little Red Book" & April "Vegetables". (Ok, not the best proof).
and Alan Boyd allegedly confirmed that this song is indeed "Tones/Tune X" (info by Bicyclerider in another thread).

and what is the instrumental on Get The Boot then?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 07:29:05 AM »

Fact is, the song on Secret SMiLE was produced by Brian, since you can hear him talk from the control room.

Actually, it sounds exactly like Carl to me.  Listen again, and you might agree.
Anyway, I'm more interested in the OTHER music in that YouTube clip...what are those pieces that merge with "Worms"?  Sounds like the "Cabinessence" bouzouki backwards or something...will someone quickly satisfy my curiousity so I don't have to go digging through my "SMiLE" collection?  Smiley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 09:00:48 AM »

I think that might be the Ant Bee version of "Worms". Fooled a LOT of folk back in the day.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 09:07:59 AM »

Thanks for your answer, AGD.
Please don't take this personal, but...

What I hear are exactly the instruments that were used during the March 3, 1967 session (violas, violins, cellos, drums & guitars)
The songs on Secret SMiLE are ordered chronologically and this instrumental is there between "My Little Red Book" & April "Vegetables". (Ok, not the best proof).
and Alan Boyd allegedly confirmed that this song is indeed "Tones/Tune X" (info by Bicyclerider in another thread).

and what is the instrumental on Get The Boot then?

Not entirely sure what you're saying here, so I'll reiterate - the song in the YouTube video, which the original question was about, is a Dennis Wilson/Steve Kalinich composition called "Mona Kani", "Mono Kanau" or some such, and it was first recorded November 15th 1968, produced by Dennis. The song in the video is not "Tones", or "Tune X (Tones)" or "Tones (pt. 3)", all of which are Carl Wilson compositions & productions recorded well over a year earlier.

Or to be even more concise - "Tones" is not "Mona Kani", even when a bootlegger lists it as such.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 09:09:32 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 07:49:31 PM »

Not to confuse this issue more, but I have heard a piece of music that begins with about a minute and a half of what sounds like a string quartet playing a very Smile-ish theme, then continues with the music heard in the youtube video.  What is this??
Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 10:04:31 PM »

Is everyone here talking about the same video?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qu7G67A2H28

The piece of music that starts at about 1:23 is the same song as on Secret Smile cd 2, where it's labeled as "Tune X."  The first 2 minutes of that song (on SS) is strings and the last minute has the steel guitar overdub (this is what's in the video, with some odd sound effects added over it). It also has what sounds like Carl talking at the end.

Track 7 on Get The Boot is the song that's gone around for years under the name "Mona Kani" (strings and lots of horns, especially on the tag).

If the youtube song is Mona Kani, then what is the song on Get the Boot??? And does that mean Tune X is still unbooted??

I'm very confused  Huh Huh

« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 10:07:31 PM by Black Tiger » Logged

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 11:22:23 PM »

"The piece of music that starts at about 1:23 is the same song as on Secret Smile cd 2, where it's labeled as "Tune X."  The first 2 minutes of that song (on SS) is strings and the last minute has the steel guitar overdub (this is what's in the video, with some odd sound effects added over it)."

Yup, this the piece of music that I have.  What the heck is this thing?
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2007, 08:25:05 AM »

(...)

Track 7 on Get The Boot is the song that's gone around for years under the name "Mona Kani" (strings and lots of horns, especially on the tag).

If the youtube song is Mona Kani, then what is the song on Get the Boot??? And does that mean Tune X is still unbooted??

I'm very confused  Huh Huh

My thoughts exactly.  Smiley But AGD said that the track heard in the video could be a variation on Mona Kani. So the track on Get The Boot could be Mona Kani, and this could be a variation on it. Still, I'm confused. I had always thought that the track heard in the video was Tune X / Tones. If it isn't, has the real Tune X / Tones been b**ted somewhere?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 08:28:35 AM by SloopJohnB » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2007, 09:46:45 AM »

"The piece of music that starts at about 1:23 is the same song as on Secret Smile cd 2, where it's labeled as "Tune X."  The first 2 minutes of that song (on SS) is strings and the last minute has the steel guitar overdub (this is what's in the video, with some odd sound effects added over it)."

Yup, this the piece of music that I have.  What the heck is this thing?

Ergo, the song is mistitled on the boot. Like I've been saying for the last nine million years.  Tongue

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 09:52:39 AM »

But AGD said that the track heard in the video could be a variation on Mona Kani. So the track on Get The Boot could be Mona Kani, and this could be a variation on it. Still, I'm confused. I had always thought that the track heard in the video was Tune X / Tones. If it isn't, has the real Tune X / Tones been b**ted somewhere?
No, no, no, no. No. What I said was that the song is known as "Mona Kani", "Mono Kanau" or some variation on that title. There is, to my knowledge, just the one version doing the rounds (although there is also an early version that I've clapped ears on). I'm possibly wrong here, but the real "Tones/Tune X" hasn't been booted yet.

There were lyrics written, btw, and hopefully they were just a scratch set. Because they're plenty dumb.  Think "Scrambled Eggs"

Black Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2007, 10:18:22 AM »

So what the heck is the "Mona Kani" that's on Get the Boot?  Huh

"I wanted to be part of it again, to share with it, and experience people: I wanted to experience people. And make money, of course." -Brian (is back)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2007, 10:46:34 AM »

The song thats playing at 1:23 in the you tube video posted is NOT Mona Kani. The song that you're referring to Black Tiger on the Get the Boot disc is in fact Mona Kani. The song thats played at 1:23 is labelled as Tones on another boot. There are like 4 tracks of it. It certainly sounds like Carl running the show.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2007, 12:31:47 PM »

But AGD said that the track heard in the video could be a variation on Mona Kani. So the track on Get The Boot could be Mona Kani, and this could be a variation on it. Still, I'm confused. I had always thought that the track heard in the video was Tune X / Tones. If it isn't, has the real Tune X / Tones been b**ted somewhere?
No, no, no, no. No. What I said was that the song is known as "Mona Kani", "Mono Kanau" or some variation on that title. There is, to my knowledge, just the one version doing the rounds (although there is also an early version that I've clapped ears on). I'm possibly wrong here, but the real "Tones/Tune X" hasn't been booted yet.

There were lyrics written, btw, and hopefully they were just a scratch set. Because they're plenty dumb.  Think "Scrambled Eggs"

Oh okay, sorry. Obviously there's been some misunderstanding...  Embarrassed Thanks for answering!  Smiley But then... What is the track labeled as "Mona Kani" on Get The Boot?  Huh
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 12:43:14 PM by SloopJohnB » Logged

wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2007, 01:16:29 PM »

i think that is tones or tuneX on the vid, I have Mona Kani on one bootleg (Beach Boys get the boot vol 1 and 2) and the song doesnt sound like the one on the vid...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx