gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 01:09:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Speaking of lead vocals...  (Read 2129 times)
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »

"All Dressed Up For School"...I know this has been credited to Brian in the past.  But c'mon, this is Carl, right?  And this would be his first lead as well.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 03:29:52 PM »

Yes, it's Carl. But remember, it was unreleased. So for a long while, anyway, nobody would have counted it as Carl's first lead because they hadn't heard it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 03:42:27 PM »

Carl's first lead is on the first BB's LP. Summertime Blues with Dave Marks singing with him.
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 04:17:05 PM »

Also Pom Pom Playgirl and Louie, Louie [1st and 3rd verses are Carl on lead] predate All Dressed Up For School too.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 01:21:54 PM »

Carl's first lead is on the first BB's LP. Summertime Blues with Dave Marks singing with him.

No kidding? Of course I haven't listened to that album in probably 20 years. Always thought "Girl Don't Tell Me" was credited as Car's first...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 01:48:03 PM »

I think that's because Brian said in the Summer Days liner notes that it's the first one Carl "dug singin'" - therefore he didn't enjoy singing Summertime Blues, Pom Pom Playgirl, Louie Louie or All Dressed Up, but he sang them anyway. I would imagine it's the Beatlesque nature of GDTM that made him dig singin' it...
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 04:08:30 PM »

I think that's because Brian said in the Summer Days liner notes that it's the first one Carl "dug singin'" - therefore he didn't enjoy singing Summertime Blues, Pom Pom Playgirl, Louie Louie or All Dressed Up, but he sang them anyway. I would imagine it's the Beatlesque nature of GDTM that made him dig singin' it...

That...and the fact that Leaf and co. got the vocal credits wrong on the orig. two-fer CD liner notes. But you're right Carl never considered himself a "singer" until '65 or so, before that his focus was on the guitar.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 05:29:31 PM »

To me it's funny to hear Carl sing those early leads, because he doesn't sound like much of a singer-- at least not to my ears. But then I remember how young he was, and that maybe he was self-conscious about singing lead. It's amazing how his voice matured.
MBE
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 09:04:59 PM »

Agreed he did sound fairly limited but pleasent. Dennis' voice got better around the Today sessions too.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx