gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:08:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Queers  (Read 4199 times)
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2007, 05:41:38 PM »

is anyone here familar with the punk rock band the Queers? if you dig the Ramones you'd love this band. I've never heard anyone do a better Beach Boys cover than the Queers too; great renditions of 'Hawaii', 'Don't Back Down', 'Salt Lake City', and 'Little Honda'
-Josh
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 11:31:53 PM »

Yeah, I've got 5 or 6 of their albums. Great band. I like their version of Don't Back Down even better than the original...
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:31:02 AM »

The Queers are great!!!  Definately check them out if you like good ol' fun times punk rock.  Their Beach Boys covers are top notch I almost agree with their version of Don't Back Down being better than the original.  Almost, but not quite.  Also, Joe Queer did a version of God Only Knows that is just his voice over the original backing track that is great as well.  Check out their albums titled Don't Back Down and Beat Off for an intro.  Those have always been my favorites. 

Lots of great punk rock came from those early to mid 90's Lookout Records bands if you feel froggy and want to check some new stuff out.  Some great bands to check out:  Screeching Weasel, The Riverdales, The Groovie Ghoulies, and Operation Ivy just to name a few.  That label was also home to the early Green Day records. 

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 06:38:17 AM »

Don't Back Down

I think that's easily their best album.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 07:33:23 AM »

I'd say it's a cross between between Don't Back Down and Love Songs for the Retarded. Beat Off is kinda sloppy and so is Move Back Home, although I love the cover of 'Hawaii'. Punk Rock Confidential is really good too and so is Pleasant Screams; and the new album Munki Brain is incredible, well worth getting.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 11:42:55 PM »

Don't Back Down

I think that's easily their best album.
yes but their newer album Munki Brain is damn close, ALOT of Beach Boys homage/
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 12:51:02 AM »

The Queers are a great pop punk band. I really love their pop songs. Don't Back Down, Love Songs For The Retarded and Muki Brain are their best albums.
I agree, their Beach Boys covers are better than any other band covering them. But I hate albums like Beyond The Valley or Back To The Basement. Stupid bonehead punk.
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 12:59:18 AM »

The Queers are a great pop punk band. I really love their pop songs. Don't Back Down, Love Songs For The Retarded and Muki Brain are their best albums.
I agree, their Beach Boys covers are better than any other band covering them. But I hate albums like Beyond The Valley or Back To The Basement. Stupid bonehead punk.
i agree all the way
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 01:16:18 AM »

love songs is a great album, move back home is decent, dont back down is phenomenal, punk rock confidential, pleasant screams and munki brain are all great, WAY different than any other punk band of the past 20 yrs/ joe king writes excellent pop/rock songs with some of the best hooks,,, same goes for perry leenhouts of the travoltas, their 2 albums modern world and endless summer just killer. There are some amazing obscure bands in the punk genre in the last 25 yrs, sonic surf city from sweden is another great group, theyve done alot of homage to the BBs and in most recent years the sunny boys from italy.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 01:39:35 AM »

Love The Queers. Been listening to them for some 15 years.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 04:40:23 AM »

Count me in, as well. Great energy, those folks. "Punk Rock Girls" .. "Ursula Finally Has Tits" .. "Born To Do Dishes". They even have a song called "Brian Wilson":

Ten years in bed, living inside my head
While the work-a-day world passes by
When did reality become the enemy?
When did the summertime die?

Baby, don't tell me we're through
'Cause even lost causes come true
The song that you're singing, a brand new beginning
I want to sing it with you

It's a good thing, Brian Wilson
It's a good thing we've got you around
'Cause you've got your feet on the ground

I spend my time talking to ghosts
But you're the one I miss the most
Singing me songs to be keeping me company
Leaving me lost in the sea

It's a good thing we've got you around
'Cause you've got your feet on the ground

You've got a good thing, Brian Wilson
It's a good thing
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 04:43:08 AM »

I'm a big fan of punk rock and I absolutely love The Ramones, but this whole "pop-punk" genre doesn't interest me personally. I love the 1977 era punk groups, and many of those bands used pop-hooks in their tunes, but for the most part I can't get into those later bands like The Queers, The Riverdales, Screaching Weasel and the like. I've seen the Queers back in the early 90s, and I suppose they were more intense as a live act rather than on record. But for me personally, I'll take the original bands like the Ramones or The Buzzcocks any day over the new(er) school groups. I feel the same way about hardcore punk. I prefer The Germs and the Dead Kennedys over any of today's "street punk" bands.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 06:14:03 AM »

There's a "General Music Discussion" section for you to discuss Blink 182 and MxPx. I understand that you like pop-punk Kook, but these threads about pop-punk are just crowding out better threads that are actually about The Beach Boys.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 06:15:11 AM »

Danny is right..
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 06:38:12 AM »

Danny is right..
...it's just the Punk way.  Shake a tree.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 06:40:41 AM by feelsflow » Logged

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 07:02:01 AM »

Danny is right..
...it's just the Punk way.  Shake a tree.
A sloth fell out. What do I do now?

feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 07:25:04 AM »

Keep typing and laughing...
And Stomp on that sloth!  The Mods will be here soon.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 08:15:40 AM »

Keep typing and laughing...
And Stomp on that sloth!  The Mods will be here soon.
I'm at a sloth for words in light of your brilliance. Lips Sealed Keep it up.

Honestly though, this belongs in the general music section. Undecided
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 08:17:45 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 09:26:57 AM »

I understand that you like pop-punk Kook.

He does???
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 09:51:39 AM »

I understand that you like pop-punk Kook.

He does???

Not totally sure. I just have this odd feeling he might be into that stuff.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 09:51:55 AM »

It's the understanding part that can get so tough.
Edit:  sweetdudejim,  this was not aimed at you, seems we hit post at the same time.  I was posting to follow startBBtoday's post.
This does belong in the General Music section, just hope the Mods don't add it to our Punk discussion.  http://youtu.be/XvX97c2pj-M
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:52:26 AM by feelsflow » Logged

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 09:08:06 PM »

For what it's worth, The Queers have a track featured in the "Brian Wilson: Imagination" DVD. I guess that's almost like being given the blessing.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 10:46:19 PM »

It's funny, I was reading this thread earlier and then saw NJ punk band Titus Andronicus tonight. They covered Barbara Ann, which I'm pretty sure they've never played before. Bass player handled the falsetto very well.
Hot Rod
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 12:09:14 AM »

For what it's worth, The Queers have a track featured in the "Brian Wilson: Imagination" DVD. I guess that's almost like being given the blessing.

Really? What track? This is interesting
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx