gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:19:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pitchfork  (Read 8505 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2006, 07:30:24 PM »

Well, I'd love to know what you disagree with.
I'll start a new thread.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Chris D.
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2006, 07:41:50 PM »

I don't think PiL is bleak.  Not on Metal Box.  Flowers of Romance, maybe.  And I don't think that rock music always works out.  Isn't part of its appeal that its wild and imperfect?  Granted, those can be faked.  I guess that's a really loaded statement.  Say a band puts out an imperfect take think it's right.  Does it then become perfect?  Maybe.  I agree with him that PiL is worth obsessing over, but not necessarily for the same reasons.  I don't think Lydon is just joking with people either.  I think inside he's always fighting himself for being really insincere and feeling ashamed when people don't get him.  Then he tries to laugh at them, to laugh it off.  But I don't think he mostly operates by putting people on.  I think he acknowledges nihilism as one way to face life, and maybe the best way, but wants something more.  Maybe Lydon has troule finding it.  I don't think PiL is cheap nihilism though, and neither were the Sex Pistols.

What do you think?

Edit: I'll copy this in the PiL thread.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2006, 08:55:24 PM »

Nor is the work of Nick Kent, Greil Marcus, Peter Guralnick, Paul Williams, Jon Hunt, Bugul, Chris D. and me.

Ahem.

(j/k..I actually AM worthless...)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2006, 02:51:36 AM »

You might not *like it* but it is not worthless.

The same could be said to you about pitchfork.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2006, 02:57:12 AM »

Nobody is saying they should "please everybody." What I'm saying is that more often than not their reviewers fail to think for themselves. Too often they hype or pan based on trends -- they follow commonly-held "backlashes" and hype the same-old-same-old, and fall so often into patterns. You can PREDICT their reviews based on what you'd figure any hipster dufus would think. Oh, its the band's second album? BACKLASH TIME, baby. Yawn -- its like reading reviews generated by a "hipster generator".

That's their schtick.  If you don't like Big Bird, don't watch Sesame Street.

The big deal is that, as witness by this very thread, lots of people do follow their advice.

I think everybody on this thread actually said they hate pitchfork and don't follow their advice...

That's great when it means checking out new bands. But how many people were steered clear of those great albums they panned and *utterly missed the point*?

Two people?  Very, very impressionable people, I might add.

That's when Pitchfork sucks, and that's why I think that they need to up the ante of the reviewers they hire. These ones care too much about hipster cache.

Again, that's like asking Hooters to hire overweight men as waiters.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx