gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:13:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SMiLE '67 version  (Read 3696 times)
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2007, 05:40:18 PM »

so i always wondered how smile would of been if it was released in 67. So I wanna start this thread so everyone can post things they heard of read,watched etc so we can get an idea of how smile would been in 67.
 some things i know:

1. a song called the elements suppose to be on their
2. they would use the regular good vibrations the version that came out as a single not the original lyrics im pretty sure on that
3. our prayer would open the album (i dont think gee was ever a 67 session)
4. no link tracks like i said on gee so each song will have a few seconds in between like a regulare album
5. im pretty sure songs like surf's up,heroes and villains, do you like worms, cabin essence, vega tables, wind chimes, wonderful would be on the album
6 dont know about look and holidays and dont know how many tracks the album would have 12? 13? or 17 like 2004?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 07:34:15 PM »

There is nothing on BWPS that didn't appear in some form on the original sessions, although several things were fleshed out (i.e. lyrics making Song for Children, Blue Hawaii, Roll Plymouth Rock, etc.). Most of it comes down to what would have been placed where and called what, imo.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 10:07:04 PM »

yea true the 17 tracks on BWPS are all the tracks brian was working on during 66-67
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 10:23:25 PM »

I Love the way I'm In the Great Shape segues into I wanna Be Around on BWPS, as well as how the water chant segues into Blue Hawaii, among others....Personally, I think Brian did not have all the resources available to finish Smile67, including a sober mind. Smile 67 wouldn't have the rapping pirate....but probably many more retarded Mike Love moments. Brian had to program the music to be under 45 minutes in 1967. I think we would have singles of H&V, and others that were different than the album versions. Brian would still have his sanity, and they would all live happily ever after.

We really have lots at our disposal concerning the Smile of 67....it just is not a cohesive piece. I get truly irked when I hear complaints about BWPS not being up to the standards of 67. Well, DUH!! It's still freaking beyond anything anyone has conceived of up to this point, even if it is almost an afterthought. His voice is great on BWPS. We've all heard him sing worse.

IMO, I think he was closer to a finished Smile than any of us know in 1967.
XY
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 11:11:31 PM »

IMO, I think he was closer to a finished Smile than any of us know in 1967.

I'm sure there was a finished SMILE in-work sketch in 1966, at least in Brian's head or written down somewhere. Also, there were music sheets for the musicians for "Surf's Up" Part 2, since they started playing Part 2 for a couple of seconds during one session. Maybe someone should search Brian's attic for some yellowed music sheets.
According to Mike Voose's 1969 article, "Surf's Up" was supposed to be the album closer.
At one point in December 1966, Brian thought about using the piano only rendition of SU as B-side to H&V.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2007, 11:22:37 AM »

hmm interesting on the surf's up. now why would the album be under 45 min? is that the limit to the vinyls back then. Also most albums during that time pet sounds and other beach boys albums and beatles sgt peppers had around 12-13 tracks. So is it safe to assume smile would also have 12-13 tracsk? I also found out that the 12 track note that was written to capitol brian never wrote that he said he never saw that list.
Bill Tobelman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 01:15:45 PM »

It was too bad that BWPS, the vinyl version, didn't come out as a single LP release. All the material would have fit, and it would be interesting to see what track started off side two. I sort of think that it may have been "Surf's Up" but "Child Is Father Of The Man" would have been okay.

"Connect, Always Connect..." - Arthur Koestler

"No discovery has ever been made by logical deduction..." - Arthur Koestler
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 01:50:52 PM »

I think the way BWPS was finished is prolly not too far off the mark from how SMiLE would've turned out... As for the rapping pirate, Brian said in a few interviews dated from 67 that there would be spoken word bits on SMiLE. I don't know what y'all think rap is, but the spoken word bit from On A Holiday doesn't even resemble rap. It sounds like what it is: a pirate speaking a lyric.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 01:56:43 PM »

yea same with heroes and villains in the cantina segment "your underarrest" brian described the album to be filled with humor and some spoken
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 02:57:42 PM »

I know it's not really a rapping pirate, I just said that. I like it alot, believe me.
I have BWPS on vinyl and am glad it's on two records....the children's suite wouldn't sound right if it was broken up to accomodate the packaging...
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 03:20:39 PM »

oh yea how is it on vinyl? its on 2 records? how is the album broken up. is the first and second movement on side A and B on one record and the 2nd record has the third movement?
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 04:03:40 PM »

1st off, I enjoy way more than CD....it's a whole new listening experience hearing the analog sound with the snap carackle and pops of the record needle.....beyond words. side 1 goes to cabinessence....side 2 is Wondeful to surf's up......side three is I'm in Shape to GV's.........side 4 is instrumental versions of H&V, Cabinessence, Holidays, and Wind Chimes
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2007, 04:15:21 PM »

I bet there was enough material to make a double record album. If you included Talking Horns, You're Welcome, He Gives Speaches, etc

Speaking of which, I wonder why these weren't included on BWPS.  I have always read that Youre Welcome was meant to be at the end of Smile.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 04:23:58 PM »

I bet there was enough material to make a double record album. If you included Talking Horns, You're Welcome, He Gives Speaches, etc

Speaking of which, I wonder why these weren't included on BWPS.  I have always read that Youre Welcome was meant to be at the end of Smile.

One of the various interviews Darian gave said it was as simple as him [Darian] bringing a bunch of Smile-era material around and Brian just saying no, those wouldn't be a part of it. No discussion, etc., just "yep, yep, yep, no." I think he referenced the latter two specifically, but I might be a little bit off. (Trying to recall the specific interview...if I find the quote I'll post it.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
wiggbuggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 06:32:18 PM »

i also heard that he gives speeches, brian said it didn't fit the album
XY
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 09:36:53 PM »

I think the way BWPS was finished is prolly not too far off the mark from how SMiLE would've turned out... As for the rapping pirate, Brian said in a few interviews dated from 67 that there would be spoken word bits on SMiLE. I don't know what y'all think rap is, but the spoken word bit from On A Holiday doesn't even resemble rap. It sounds like what it is: a pirate speaking a lyric.

Yeah, stuff like the underwater chant, Vegetables arguments and jokes à la Jan & Dean BATMAN album. Man, this is the first time I'm really happy that SMILE didn't came out in the 60's.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2007, 09:10:53 AM »

I just read that Darian talked about Brian always "going with his gut" on what order things needed to be in. With this in mind, I think in 67 Brian was so stressed out about contracts with Capitol, suing his father, provifing a livelyhood for others, finishing SMiLE in time, and alot of other things that part of the problem was he couldn't go with his gut ln anything at that point. His judgment was so clouded by all these circumstances he wasn't in the right frame of mind to finish it, and he knew it.

I just pieced together the old 66-67 sessions in protools (as alot of you have done as well) using the 2004 version as a model and it is wonderful to listen to. Brian voice was so vibrant and its fun to guess who would've sang what. I can totally here In Blue Hawaii being sung by Mike (with the answering voice being done by Carl). The only thing I can't figure out is why the didn't include the Cool Cool Water bits (the "so cool, cool water - drip drip drip drip, DRINK alittle" bits... it would've sounded really nice as a counterpoint to the "I could use a drop to drink right now")...

Oh well, I guess its all these questions that make us love SMiLE sooo much.  LOL
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2007, 09:59:29 AM »

As has been noted before on this site, the 60s "SMiLE" could very well have gone through a number of permutations between its conception and its abandonment. Peter Reum has reported that Brian told him over twenty-five years ago that he originally conceived of "SMiLE" as a three-movement symphony (or tocotta, to be specific). As recording progressed, it's quite possible that ambitions were lowered and the record was then viewed as twelve separate tracks (although the tracks themselves could contain interchangable parts). By January '67, it's starting to look like Brian is only concerned with creating a three-minute "Heroes & Villains" single, then by April, he's only working on a "Vegetables" single. Finally, "Smiley-Smile" is tossed together to fill the vacuum.

Thirty-seven years later, Brian returns to the original three movement idea and "SMiLE" is finally completed. Trying to determine what the album might have been like in '66-'67 really depends on what week or month you're using for your reference.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 11:35:10 AM by Roger Ryan » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 10:14:20 AM »

Thirty-seven years later, Brian returns to the original three movement idea and "SMiLE" is finally completed. Trying to determine what the album might have been like in '66-'67 really depends on what week or month you're using for your reference.

I guess that was one of the reasons why SMiLE died. There was so much material for him to sift through, it was maddening to try to piece together because the possibilities were limitless - sort of like a dog chaing his own tail.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2007, 10:15:51 AM »

Yeah, stuff like the underwater chant, Vegetables arguments and jokes à la Jan & Dean BATMAN album. Man, this is the first time I'm really happy that SMILE didn't came out in the 60's.

I'm glad you said that. Not that I necessarily agree with you, but just because of all the people who bring down BWPS. With all the Smile!67 material out there, anyone can conjure up there own ideas, mixes, so forth and so on. We are not at a loss because Smile 67! was not realeased. It is so cool to have those tapes and a BWPS...once again, I thank the Lord!! Bow
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx