gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:39:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Video Game Music Thread  (Read 4620 times)
Jason
« on: January 19, 2006, 11:13:04 AM »

Time to go on and on about your favorite game music.

I just got the CD soundtrack to The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time into my stereo. Great music. Doom has another awesome soundtrack.
GP1138
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2006, 11:15:15 AM »

Some of the finest, most engaging music is in the Sonic the Hedgehog series from SEGA. I have all the MP3's of the level music on my iPod, and I listen to them fairly regularly. Sometimes, some of the best music is only thirty seconds long.
Jason
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2006, 11:18:51 AM »

Some of the finest, most engaging music is in the Sonic the Hedgehog series from SEGA. I have all the MP3's of the level music on my iPod, and I listen to them fairly regularly. Sometimes, some of the best music is only thirty seconds long.

I LOVE the Sonic music! Dig the theme in Sonic & Knuckles where Knuckles has to fight Metal Sonic. It's creepy.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2006, 12:12:39 PM »

Mega Man II has awesome music.
Metroid has awesome music.
The Super Mario Bros. games have awesome music.

Watch out for snakes!
pdhuertas
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2006, 11:12:06 PM »

i love the sonic music too, esp. the first and second one. they're just perfect. i've actually done my own versions of some of them...
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 11:14:48 PM »

Smile/ Alice

Bloodlines/ The Kills

xoxoxoxo
suga
GP1138
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2006, 08:26:57 AM »

If anyone wants the Sonic 1, 2, and 3/Knuckles music in MP3 format, I'll oblige. Smiley
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2006, 08:30:08 AM »

The Chrono Trigger music is amazing.  It's too bad even on CD its in corny midi format. 
Mr. Smajda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2006, 10:20:00 PM »

My favorite soundtracks include...

Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Earthbound (please play this SNES game if you haven't.  The music makes 90% of the game for me actually)
Megaman II definitely had some awesome music in it.

Final Fantasy IV had one of the best songs ever, the town music.  It's like 50 seconds long but it's seriously one of my favorite pieces of music.

Peruse this page if you want midi sized files that play the song ripped from the game itself.  They even infinitely loop if you want them to!
http://www.zophar.net/music.html
Mr. Smajda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2006, 10:24:21 PM »

Oh yeah, I forgot.  The Earthbound game music freakin' samples Beatles music.  How cool is that?  It even has a little melody that sounds like "Good Morning Good Morning" for when you wake up after sleeping in a hotel in the game.  You even ride a Yellow Submarine,  there're tons of Beatles references everywhere in that game.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 03:55:25 PM »

The Final Fantasy series, definitely. Nobuo Uematsu happens to be one of my biggest influences, along with the two legendary Brians (Wilson and Eno).

Any of the Gradius games (including Life Force for the NES) do it for me,too.

Grandia II for the Dreamcast.

I once sampled the Dr. Wily boss music from Mega Man II and set it to a beat...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
PapaNez22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2006, 08:13:51 PM »

Mega Man II has awesome music.
Metroid has awesome music.

Damn, that opening song on Mega Man II is tits!

Please say you've played the Metroid: Prime games Mitch. If you love the music of the other Metroid games, those two on the Cube blow the rest away in terms of music.

Also, I gotta say that the Final Fantasy IV soundtrack is the lord of all Video Game music.

The music in Dragon Quest VIII is nothing short of incredible as well. Especially since all of it is played by a live symphony for the American version of the game.
Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2006, 11:34:25 PM »

I love MONTY ON THE RUN!

Rob Hubbard is the Brian Wilson of video game music! Wink

TURN THE MUSIC UP

One of the most striking features of Monty on the Run is its funky bop, I mean listen and dig that groove baby. Having had quite an earful (monitors at full volume) ZZAP! thought it was high time Commodore synth musicians received some acclaim, so Jaz 'my Walkman is so-o-o loud' Rignall gave Rob Hubbard, composer of the Monty music a
bell . . .

Rob Hubbard is thirty years old and has been in the music biz since he left school. After hearing the music from Activision's Master of the Lamps and Rock 'n' BoIt he felt inspired enough to start experimenting with the 64's SID chip and consequently connected his black and white monitor to his hi-fi and started to program his own music utility. When asked whether he used any professional utility he said that he felt that most of the utilities available are very limited with the sounds you can create. His own utility has been perfected over the last four months and he constantly makes changes to it so he can customize sounds and incorporate them into his music.

Some of his early work includes the music to Mastertronic's Action Biker, Confusion and Thing on a Spring. Monty he considers as one of his best pieces to date but thinks the new piece of music he's composing for Adventure International is going to be a lot better, complete with blue grass banjoes, fiddles and a drunken violin.

Most of his music is sketched out on an old Casio MT3O synth, but also has a Casio DX7 which he says is a lot better. Once the tune has been worked out it's over to the 64 to start experimenting. During some tinkering he's even accidentally stumbled upon some of the voices used in Monty, although something like the drum sounds (trying to emulate a Simmonds drum sound) took two weeks to perfect.

He feels that he's getting near to the limits of the 64 sound chip and also finds the three channels rather limiting . . . never mind, perhaps the new Commodore Amiga with it's eight-channel stereo sound will keep him happily making computer music for a few more years to come!

Joe..... over and out
I hear a new world
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx