-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:20:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Where are you from?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where are you from?  (Read 55432 times)
mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 29, 2016, 10:45:50 AM »

Raised in Northwest Arkansas, now in New Orleans, Louisiana.  I've lived in Illinois, Missouri, and Nebraska as an adult.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 29, 2016, 10:58:23 AM »

Maybe 3/5 New Jersey, 2/5 Massachusetts, 1/5 other places.

You're originally from over two different states?  Are you 60 ft tall?  
I interpret it as where did you grow up, rather than where you were born. My daughter, for example, was born in Arizona but spent a total of 4 months there, so I don't think she'd say she's "from" Arizona.

But, I was born in NJ.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 11:00:17 AM by Emily » Logged
KDS
« Reply #127 on: February 29, 2016, 11:15:37 AM »

Maybe 3/5 New Jersey, 2/5 Massachusetts, 1/5 other places.

You're originally from over two different states?  Are you 60 ft tall?  
I interpret it as where did you grow up, rather than where you were born. My daughter, for example, was born in Arizona but spent a total of 4 months there, so I don't think she'd say she's "from" Arizona.

But, I was born in NJ.

Gotcha.  Just funnin' with you.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2016, 03:25:38 AM »

Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand. Home to the only breeding spot of Albatross in the world! Plus NZ's last remaining castle, grew up 5kms from it :D
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2016, 04:54:40 AM »

Lived my whole life in New Orleans, save for 2 1/2 years in Chapel Hill NC in the early 80s, and 2 years wandering from place to place thanks to that stupid hurricane we had ten years or so ago.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2016, 12:35:19 PM »

Lived my whole life in New Orleans, save for 2 1/2 years in Chapel Hill NC in the early 80s, and 2 years wandering from place to place thanks to that stupid hurricane we had ten years or so ago.

I take it from your username you are a Pelicans fan then? Shame about Davis being out for the rest of the season
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2016, 01:48:00 PM »

It's best that Davis takes time to heal - the Pelicans aren't going anywhere playoff wise anyway.
Having the hardest time warming up to the name 'Pelicans' for the basketball team , as for many years that was the name of our Southern Association professional baseball team.
Now 'Jazz' - that was a name I could warm up to. Went to their games back in the 70s, cheering on the exploits of Pistol Pete. Still bummed that Utah - UTAH- calls itself the Jazz now.
Not much to cheer about, sports wise. Now music wise, that's another story altogether. The next 1 1/2 months will be positively music heaven!

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2016, 03:40:11 PM »

It's best that Davis takes time to heal - the Pelicans aren't going anywhere playoff wise anyway.
Having the hardest time warming up to the name 'Pelicans' for the basketball team , as for many years that was the name of our Southern Association professional baseball team.
Now 'Jazz' - that was a name I could warm up to. Went to their games back in the 70s, cheering on the exploits of Pistol Pete. Still bummed that Utah - UTAH- calls itself the Jazz now.
Not much to cheer about, sports wise. Now music wise, that's another story altogether. The next 1 1/2 months will be positively music heaven!

Wow you got to see Maravich?!! That's awesome! What do you think about the Curry-Pistol Pete comparisons? Was Pete a wizard??
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2016, 03:47:09 PM »

Dunedin, Otago, New Zealand. Home to the only breeding spot of Albatross in the world! Plus NZ's last remaining castle, grew up 5kms from it :D
cool.
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2016, 03:51:05 PM »

cool.

Hey thanks Tongue ever been to New Zealand?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2016, 03:58:45 PM »

Wow you got to see Maravich?!! That's awesome! What do you think about the Curry-Pistol Pete comparisons? Was Pete a wizard??

Suddenly I'm interested in this thread. The Pistol! An absolute magician. People talk about him and Curry because of the shooting range, but his flair was a precursor to Rubio's. Such a monumental figure in basketball history. He's one of the many guys who seems somehow not to have realized his potential, but that's actually more the rule than the exception. He was so, so good. The highlight reels show it all. A genius. Granted, I'm a sucker for guys who see the court on another level--Pistol, Magic, Bird, McKey, Kukoc, Bodiroga, Nash, Odom, Rubio--guys who aren't necessarily the best players, but who see the court in that way. But yeah: Pistol. Fantastic.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2016, 04:04:55 PM »

My dad was lucky to see him in his Jazz prime lighting up the Cavs at the old Richfield Coliseum.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2016, 04:05:17 PM »

Suddenly I'm interested in this thread. The Pistol! An absolute magician. People talk about him and Curry because of the shooting range, but his flair was a precursor to Rubio's. Such a monumental figure in basketball history. He's one of the many guys who seems somehow not to have realized his potential, but that's actually more the rule than the exception. He was so, so good. The highlight reels show it all. A genius. Granted, I'm a sucker for guys who see the court on another level--Pistol, Magic, Bird, McKey, Kukoc, Bodiroga, Nash, Odom, Rubio--guys who aren't necessarily the best players, but who see the court in that way. But yeah: Pistol. Fantastic.

Good to meet another NBA fan! Unfortunately my adopted 76ers have been suffering since the Bynum fiasco but I'm all in on the Process although there are many questions... Glad you added Odom, I enjoy the same type of play. I truly believe Lamar had a Magic Johnson style skillset
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2016, 04:15:05 PM »

Good to meet another NBA fan! Unfortunately my adopted 76ers have been suffering since the Bynum fiasco but I'm all in on the Process although there are many questions... Glad you added Odom, I enjoy the same type of play. I truly believe Lamar had a Magic Johnson style skillset

I think Lamar Odom is one of the 10 most gifted players of the past 20 years. Obviously there were issues along the way, but he was absolutely a genius. Brilliant basketball mind, and fun for anyone who knows basketball to watch.

Philly ... yikes. On a positive note, the assets are building. Dario Saric is a STUD, and actually has the kind of sense we're talking about. He's really good. Noel, obviously, is good. Okafor has his skills. Ish Smith is almost a cartoonish legend, albeit for providing a bare minimum of NBA ability at that spot. But most importantly, Brett Brown is a great coach. That they're even remotely close to competitive is a testament to him and his staff these past few years. They need to use their assets to balance out the roster talent this offseason, and they'll be back in it. And frankly, it doesn't take more than a player or two in this league. (As a Minnesotan enjoying the fruits of KAT and Wiggins, I can say that.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2016, 04:17:27 PM »

The wolves are so much better without Kevin Love, it's more a team on offense and defense now.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2016, 04:24:48 PM »

I think Lamar Odom is one of the 10 most gifted players of the past 20 years. Obviously there were issues along the way, but he was absolutely a genius. Brilliant basketball mind, and fun for anyone who knows basketball to watch.

Philly ... yikes. On a positive note, the assets are building. Dario Saric is a STUD, and actually has the kind of sense we're talking about. He's really good. Noel, obviously, is good. Okafor has his skills. Ish Smith is almost a cartoonish legend, albeit for providing a bare minimum of NBA ability at that spot. But most importantly, Brett Brown is a great coach. That they're even remotely close to competitive is a testament to him and his staff these past few years. They need to use their assets to balance out the roster talent this offseason, and they'll be back in it. And frankly, it doesn't take more than a player or two in this league. (As a Minnesotan enjoying the fruits of KAT and Wiggins, I can say that.)

If Joel Embiid is actually healthy (so many contrasting reports) this offseason then I think Okafor is gone. I personally want us to draft Ingram over Simmons even with Saric coming over. Saric feels like a sixth man type, sorta cross between Ginobli and how Mirotic was im his first season (fingers crossed). I love to watch the Wolves, Towns is an absolute stud, what do you think will happen with Dieng?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2016, 04:27:22 PM »

cool.

Hey thanks Tongue ever been to New Zealand?
No. I wish!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2016, 04:31:27 PM »

Extremely thrilled to have some NBA chat, but will move this to an NBA thread. (I think we have one...) Un momento.

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2016, 04:36:27 PM »

Totally not a professional sports watcher, but I strangely have frequent "brush with fame" experiences with basketball players - once at an event for Bill Bradley (for whom I interned and worked side-by-side with Carl Lewis' little brother every day), I parked Wilt Chamberlin's sports car - a Lamborghini or something, I was 17, no idea - he had some sort of custom seat thing that was really low. I had to pull it waaay up then kind of perch to see out the windshield. I was so scared I would crash. Then I briefly babysat Bill Walton's kids. Then I sat next to Robert Parish in the theater -  he was the biggest seeming person I've ever seen. Then I was on a plane when my daughter was about three going to see my mom in Arizona; my daughter was restless and started roaming the aisles. When she roamed into first class, I went up to get her. She was standing there yammering at Steve Nash.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2016, 06:27:15 PM »

Yes, I was able to see Pete Maravich throughout his career with the Jazz. He was absolutely incredible. The best individual performance I ever saw was on February 25, 1977, when the Pistol did a basketball clinic against the Knicks, scoring 68 points ( and back then the NBA didn't have the 3 point shot). You can see this game on YouTube. He was a troubled soul, but fortunately found peace in the last few years of his life and was an incredible human being, gone way too soon.

Oh, BTW, since grade school I've wanted to visit New Zealand. Looks like such a neat place!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:31:32 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2016, 06:39:55 PM »

Yes, I was able to see Pete Maravich throughout his career with the Jazz. He was absolutely incredible. The best individual performance I ever saw was on February 25, 1977, when the Pistol did a basketball clinic against the Knicks, scoring 68 points ( and back then the NBA didn't have the 3 point shot). You can see this game on YouTube. He was a troubled soul, but fortunately found peace in the last few years of his life and was an incredible human being, gone way too soon.

Oh, BTW, since grade school I've wanted to visit New Zealand. Looks like such a neat place!

You should come down ASAP! You won't regret a visit!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: