gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681025 Posts in 27628 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 16, 2024, 05:43:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elvis vs Elvis  (Read 5710 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2007, 06:19:33 AM »

ok sorry about this i know its not beach boys related but it kinda is in a way, I need to play an elvis costello song and an elvis presley song for an upcoming show im doing, My knowledge of either elvis is not particularly good. I was wondering if some of you knowledgeable music folks could suggest some songs from these guys. Something off the beaten track and not too well known and if it has a beach boys influence or sound to it, well all the better. I know costello was influenced by the beach boys.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 06:25:24 AM »

Moving this to General Discussion

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 07:35:21 AM »

Well, don't know about Costello but there's more great stuff with Presley than you could think off. What kind of feeling should it have? Do you need some ballad or rocking song?  If you're looking for a Beach Boys-influence, there's not very much of that, although many songs have nice harmonies and "Speedway" has a horn-arrangement quite similar to "City blues". But since Elvis began in the 50s and had his own style throughout you'll probably find more Elvis-influence in the BBs than vice versa.  "Love song of the year" from his '74 album "Promised land" comes to my mind right now. It's a lush ballad and has a little Beach Boy-feeling to it. I guess you don't want to use "Beach Boy Blues" from the "Blue Hawaii"-soundtrack

EDIT: Coincedentally I just made a CD for a friend of great Elvis-performances with many lesser known (at least to the public) songs. No bootleg-stuff or anything. Here's the tracklist:

1. My babe (live '69)
2. A mess of blues
3. Suspicion
4. Fever
5. Baby let's play house
6. Only the strong survive
7. Are you lonesome tonight ?
8. What now my love? (live '73)
9. You'll be gone (only song he ever had real input to as a songwriter, at least the only officially released one)
10. Ready teddy
11. Just pretend
12. Polk salad Annie (live '70)
13. Little sister
14. Love letters (60s Version)
15. I'll hold you in my heart
16. Surrender
17. It's midnight
18. Loving arms
19. Swing down sweet chariot
20. I can't stop loving you (live '70)
21. Power of my love
22. You don't have to say you love me
23. Crying in the chapel
24. Never been to spain (live '72)
25. It hurts me
26. That's someone you never forget (the idea and title of this song came from Elvis)

Maybe there's a title that you are interested in
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 07:41:45 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 09:41:42 AM »

My Brother Woody - so you're actually intending to perform "Elvis" songs, right? I mean, not just playing the records like a D.J.? As for Costello, a lot of his material is a bit daunting due to the heavy word-play. If you don't want to do "Alison" (which everyone does), I would recommend "Party Girl" from "Armed Forces" which is another great emotional ballad seldom heard. Costello is not one to wear a Beach Boys influence on his sleeve, but "The Other Side Of Summer" is clearly meant to sound like a BB record; also, the artist himself refers to "Favorite Hour" as his attempt to write a song in the style of "Surf's Up".
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 09:50:52 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys, their great and giving me lots of ideas, keep em coming. I will be performing the songs not djing them

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 12:41:54 PM »

From Costello, maybe try the gorgeous "Nothing Clings Like Ivy" off his 2004 "The Delivery Man." (That's assuming you have a harmony singer, too.) Or "Oliver's Army." Or "No Action." (The latter two are pretty well known, so if that's your goal or something to avoid, let it be known.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2007, 10:45:46 PM »

On Presley there is a song called I'm Leavin' that is a great folk ballad from 1971. Other things you may like are the big production number Edge Of Reality from 1968 (many of the Beach Boys studio players are on it), the nice pop song The Next Step is Love from 1970, and the big choral sound of O' Come All Ye Faithful from 1971.
I hope this helps. I know next to nothing about Elvis Costello but his stuff from circa 89 with McCartney has a nice retro feel.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2007, 03:25:19 AM »

This is great guys, Im gonna get downloading some of the tracks mentioned and see how they work

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2007, 03:31:20 AM »

I forgot, you should get "The sound of your cry" by Presley. Great song, great performance

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2007, 05:56:23 AM »

All of the Costello songs that have been mentioned would be great to perform.  If you are looking for a BB influence, definatley look no further than The Other Side of Summer.  Phenominal tune!  I would like to add to the mix two more songs.  Country Darkness off The Delivery Man album and You Tripped At Every Step from the Brutal Youth record.  You really can't go wrong on Costello tunes.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
MBE
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 05:55:25 PM »

btw please let us know what songs you choose.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 08:45:33 AM »

not 100% sure yet but i think its gonna be "im leavin" and "the other side of summer". still gotta learn them, its happening friday Shocked

MBE
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 07:11:36 PM »

I'm Leavin is a great choice! Let us know how it goes.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 09:06:43 PM »

Let me be the first to say, you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot trying to cover EITHER Elvis, if there happens to be anybody in the crowd that's heard either song you're likely going to pale in comparison.  I am prepared to withdraw this statement if you happen to be Sting or Ron Isley or something. 
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 02:39:49 AM »

Let me be the first to say, you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot trying to cover EITHER Elvis, if there happens to be anybody in the crowd that's heard either song you're likely going to pale in comparison.  I am prepared to withdraw this statement if you happen to be Sting or Ron Isley or something. 

This is true, but the whole night is based around the elvis vs elvis theme so there will be 7 other acts trying to do the same thing so at least  i wont be alone...

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 06:38:38 AM »

One thing I've always found that works (when I'm just messing around with some friends or something and a guitar) is to not even TRY to make it sound like the original.  Totally flip it and then they can't say how boring it was, lol. 
MBE
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 01:12:08 PM »

The other thing you are doing right is by picking I'm Leavin' you aren't doing the sterotypical "Elvis" song. So just go with how you feel it.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 01:26:32 AM »

This went well and was a lot of fun, thanks for all your help guys..

MBE
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 04:00:49 AM »

You are welcome
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx